Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by "good", I mean something that's not a level 1 snap tite or something you can find in the bargain bin at Toys R Us.

Back in '99, I got 10 Enterprise-B's for $11 each.

round about the same time, I found a Monogram Voyager kit for $3.

in '02 I think it was, someone sent me a huge box full of models including a Runabout, two or thee Reliants, an Enterprise-C, a Defiant and a Kazon ship all without cost to me. I wish I knew who it was right now because I'd like to thank him properly.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I got 3 PL large scale NX-01 Enterprises at Hobby Lobby for $15 each 5 yrs ago. About 10 years ago got a complete, unbuilt in box Moonbus for $5, and the Aurora 12 O'Clock High # B-17s for $20. My favorites were getting mint MOM Creature in box for $15 at the same time. My best deal ever was about 20 years ago - picked up 2 like new in box Aurora's: Snake Scene and the LIS Cyclops without chariot for $1 each at a flea market. I traded both of them for around $2000 worth of rare aircraft kits at the time. You just never know when that great deal may pop up!!
Steve

·
Registered
258 Posts
Let's see-
In 1991 I found an unbuilt original issue USS George Washington submarine (the one with incorrect number of tubes and the one that sent a particular Navy Admiral into a fit) while cleaning out my wife's grandfather's house. Only a year or so ago I found at my local hobby shop a 1/32 Revell Shiden-Kai George near-mint for $30. Those are probably the best "deals" I've come across.

Cappy D

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
quite some time ago, I stumbled onto a rack of monogram models at
a Safeway (Grocery) store.
all automotive models in 1/24 scale, and they were $3.00 each.
Plymouth Superbirds, Ford Mustang BOSS 429 & a couple of A.A.R 'cuda's.
those ten models were a great thirty dollar investment.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
When Wal-Mart use to sell model cars for $4.00 that was great, but the best one was a 1970's era truck I got from a salvation Army for $0.50.

The free stuff you guys have sent me in the past (And hopefully future) is awesome too!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Back when RC2 cancelled all Trek kits Biglots had several in for about 4.99 each and I got me a couple of Excelsior kits as well as the Mauqi from Voyager put out by Monogram. Kinda funny how both companys cancelled all their Trek kits at about the same time.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
In 1981 at the Optimo cigar store.The Aurora Seaview and I picked up a few for $1.50 each and in March of 1982 I bought the Lesney/A.M.T. U.S.S.Enterprise(The Smoothie)from STTMP for $5.00 bucks.In late 1981 I saw a place that had about 5 or 6 First Movie Enterprise models also going for $5.00.I didn't have that much money at that time so I had to pass.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
So many bargains I don't know where to begin!! Not including gifts, here's a few of the best:
Original Aurora Guillotine, complete unstarted with only partial box- $10.
Original Hulk, complete, partially built then disassembled with box and instructions- $40
Original Penguin complete, some repro parts and repro box- $120
Born Losers all 3 kits (reissue)- $30 the lot!
Monogram Big Red Baron mint sealed- $25
Original Aurora Alfred E Neuman in excellent condition-$85
Revell Moonmixer sealed excellent condition- $50
These are all in the last 12 months or so- most of them from you guys.
There are many many more but I'll run out of room....

Chris.:):)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My In-Laws gave me a MIB Aurora Blackbeard for Christmas about 10 years ago. Couldn't believe that one!

I bought four X-Plus Disney Nautilus' from HobbyLink Japan for $35.00 each when they were available a few years back. That may not sound like a great price but a year later they were averaging $200 a pop on eBay. Sold three of them at that point - each at the going rate of around $200 apiece.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Luminators:, Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman & the Mummy 4-pack for $9.99 !
$2.50 each...I bought 10 4-packs and have been bashing them to complete other kits :thumbsup: (oops, Sorry...you did say 'Good Kit'
Mcdee
.........Almost forgot ...I got an Original Aurora Phantom of the Opera MIB 2 years ago off of a buddy at work that I traded for a magnifying glass worth about Ten Bucks...Cool huh?

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
About 15 years ago $10. for a Tamiya 1/32 F-14 Tomcat at a yard sale! Kit was opened but not started and all bags were still sealed! It even had 2 sheets of aftermarket decals included! This kit was one of the first plastic kits that broke the $100. mark retail!:thumbsup:

K-Mart...Late 70's. All of the Aurora Glow Monsters with the exception of Dr. Jekyll for $.99 each! Oh...King Kong and Godzilla were $1.49! These were a "blue light special" remember those? Even though the Witch was in the bigger box like King Kong and Godzilla she was only $.99!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Someone gave me two MIB Pocher classic cars... and those brought over $1200 on ebay... And I got my Aurora 2001 Moon Bus in a trade for two packages of RC Car Tires. At the shop I used to work in, one of the RC Racers needed some tires for a weekend race and didn't have the $$$ so he offered the kit in exchange for two bags of $9 tires...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts