Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 44 toppers ,6 of them are not good at all but the other ones are in very very good shape ,some of them look excellent one is still in the blister pack. My problem is I don't collect the toppers (I just ran across these at a very good price, I thought) , I collect white lightnings, however with Tom Lowe selling out to Racing Champions I was wondering if these could end up like some of the old red line hotwheels , I thought about selling them on ebay and taking the money to buy white lightnings , but the more I think about the sell out I'm leaning toward hanging on to them and see what they will bring later on down the road. For those who collect the old toppers what is your advice for me??
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
just my 2 cents....

to get it out of the way, u may get slammed for it by someone else, but if yer collecting for the money, that's not a good topic to bring up here... collect fr the enjoyment, not an investmant.

that being said, I would lean toward the Toppers as keepers.

example, have a friend who has been collecting brand X (HW) for a long time, even had a store.. he is now just concentrating on redlines..there are just too many of everything made now, even what are supposed to be "extremly limited!" (yea, right...) ...and for the stuff that is actually limited, there are just too many collecters out there grabbing up everything and/or willing to lay down ridiculous money for these toys.

and by the way, the old Toppers are already like the old redlines...I assume this whole post is asking about the real Toppers and not the Topper commeratives... those will never be like any of the old redlines or real Toppers...just wayyy too many out there and put out after the collcting frenzy was already started.... when the old redlines and Toppers came out end of the 60's, very few collected them... that's why there are not that many around, hence the high prices/values...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First let me say thank you for your 2 cents .

To clear up,, These are the old toppers, and I was thinking about keeping them for an investment at first .but after reading your reply I think I'll keep them just as a part of History for my Johnny Lightning collection, even though I will not collect any more toppers (unless i get a good deal like this one ).

I do collect the W/L's (but not for an investment) just the ones with white tires because i think they're really cool and it puts a different twist to my collection.

Again thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts