Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time we looked at wear in the front end. This time I will start off with checking for broken pieces.

In order to see the breaks, each part must, of course, be clean. Those pesky little stress fractures that you can’t see under all the grime, are usually the ones that let go when you “Just Touched The Pipe, not even very hard”.

Your statement is probably true, but remember the time you got used for brakes by that guy in back of you, and his car booted you right into the pipe? You thought you got off lucky with no breakage, because two corners later there he was with a broken “A” arm.

Look at each piece very carefully as you reassemble the area that you are working on.

OK, now lets tackle the rear suspension. Again the wear factor can be remedied, with just a little attention. Clean each piece thoroughly, look for cracks, etc. Take each of the suspension pins and roll it on the table and make sure it is perfectly straight. Some times I even put them in my dremmel and polish them to be sure the movement is free.

The drive shafts need a good look too. If you have CVD’s make sure the pins aren’t coming loose, and maybe even clean them with a little motor cleaner and re-grease them. If you use slider shafts, just make sure that they are clean and work smoothly. If these areas get jammed up with a lot of gunk, you will not be happy with how your car drives.

Check each bearing to make sure it spins freely and smoothly. I am a real nut about my bearings, they have to feel right or I’m not a happy racer. I will get into cleaning and maintenance of bearings in another article. So now reassemble everything in the rear suspension and hit the track.

Rick

1 - 1 of 1 Posts