Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm sure this has been discussed before and I either missed it or didn't pay attention, but what is it about M2's that they are so far out of 1/64 scale that it's not funny?!?

I guess I never had my loose M2's sitting side-by-side with my other brand 442's, but when I recently did, the difference is scale is obvious. Furthermore, as I was putting them in my 96 ct. acrylic wall display cases, I found that while they will go in, you must WEDGE them into place! Next, I went to put a couple of extra loose cars I have in a loose car carry case AND THEY DO NOT FIT!! You can't even wedge them into the slot. What gives?? Why not at least be TRUTHFUL as to the scale, because it's NOT even close (as in 1/62 or 1/63)!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I agree. This is probably my only complaint about M2. Scale is thrown to the wind. I enjoy the brand, but I wish M2 would change this one aspect.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I don't care for how large the Mustang is but in the 1/64 scale world being true to scale is the exception rather than the norm. I notice no one ever complains about the scale difference of the JL 427 Cobra and Cobra Torino

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I have mentioned it before on the boards. My pet peeve is that 1/64 scale should be exactly that. Someone pointed out to me that we are but adults collecting childrens' toys and that detail, scale and proportion are comparatively meaningless to a kid - bright colors and crazy tampos are, though. However when I shell out $5 and up on a 1/64 that manufacturers know they are marketing as an "adult collectible" then detail, scale and proportion should be key.

There... I feel better now.

BTW, I don't buy M2 because they are so darn big...

·
Registered
467 Posts
No, this isn't the first time the size of M2 product has been brought to bear on this board. We did get some feedback from them on this topic. The explanation was that they are working within a dimensions parameter of 3.25 inches long as a general target. Some have pointed out that helps standardize a uniform packaging specification to keep costs down. Lame, but I don't think that's what's going on here.
I sensed a lack of enthusiasm on their part as M2 tried to explain why they are making bastard scaled cars. I get the impression there's an 800 pound gorilla that writes the checks and likes cars 3.25". That's the prime directive and anybody that doesn't like it, I'm sure, is welcome to come to his office to discuss it.....and be sure to bring your coat.
Bet ya that's exactly what's happening.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I haven't been able to post my pics yet but if some of you may recall... JL used to make a 6-slot display case and it came with a car. You could either interconnect them and stack them or hang them on the wall. I only got 3 years ago due to cost but have just realized how PERFECT they are for the M2 cars that are a little on the big side.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. If I was a puriest about exact scale, I would shell out the bucks for Kyosho or Tomica or some other high-end brand. No brand that you can buy in Walmart makes every casting in exact scale. Heck, I'm looking at two JLs sitting on my desk, a Superbird and a 'Cuda, and guess what? The 'Cuda is about 1/8" shorter than the Superbird and at least an 1/8" wider. You think that is scale? Hah!

Remember the golden rule of collecting - Buy what you like, don't buy what you don't like :thumbsup:

P.S. My only complaint with M2 is that they haven't made a '72-'74 Challenger yet!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not looking for EXACT scale. RELATIVELY close would suffice for me (and I'm sure MANY others as well!). I understand economics, economies of scale, etc. My point is that these things are closer to 1/50 scale than they are to 1/64, so that's the problem I (and I'm guessing so many others) have with it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm not looking for EXACT scale. RELATIVELY close would suffice for me (and I'm sure MANY others as well!). I understand economics, economies of scale, etc. My point is that these things are closer to 1/50 scale than they are to 1/64, so that's the problem I (and I'm guessing so many others) have with it.
I agree with this! It's not that I hate M2, I love the brand with the one exception of the terrible scale.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't been able to post my pics yet but if some of you may recall... JL used to make a 6-slot display case and it came with a car. You could either interconnect them and stack them or hang them on the wall. I only got 3 years ago due to cost but have just realized how PERFECT they are for the M2 cars that are a little on the big side.
Not sure which castings you collect loose, but I'll bet at least HALF of M2's offerings will NOT fit in these. I was at a Hobby Store this morning that still has some. The Nova will fit, the Mustang can be wedged in, and a few of the shorter Auto-Thentics should fit. Good luck with Dodge Daytona, as well as anything that was considered intermediate or full-size back in the day!! You may get a few more in if you place them diagonally in the slot, but I don't display my cars that way.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I don't collect the M2 muscle cars but the only car that I have come across from the Auto-thentics line that won't fit in the JL cases is the Caddy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to realize that those cars made in the 1950's were HUGE! If you haven't really been around them much like I have, this is lost on most collectors. With that having been said, a lot of the Auto-Thentics are more accurately scaled than you would think. I don't collect the muscle cars, so I couldn't say about them. You may be right about them being off scale.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I wasn't following you until I saw the pics - the DRIVERS series are indeed a bit larger - not sure why, maybe Sean can address but you are correct. All though the Novas seem to be in scale or closer.

I believe the standard hobby pieces are all very close to 1/64th scale without question.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
that's the new VW Scirroco by Norev I think. Got it from Dipstick a few months ago. If you check the HW website they have the race version coming soon.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts