Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought these 3 Hot Wheels at a flea market. The woman said she guessed they came that way. But I am sure that somebody had to have customized them. But I will say this, they are very well done. Click on thumbs.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Congrats on some Customs :thumbsup:

LMAO, Yes all 3 were dyed, but I like how all three " Died "

This is easy to do folks if you have some time to boil water. All
you have to do is get some Rit Dye in the color you want to use
to dye from Walmart etc.. , some cool Silver or White HW's , a pot ,
and 2-3" of water to cover the Car. Now get the water hot enough
to boil and then start dipping the whole Car inside the water till
you like how light or dark the Car gets from the Rit Dye. Do remember
that their is Plastic on the Car so you will have to dip and pull it
out and re-dip so you won't melt the Plastic. After the first 3-4
Cars you will get the hang of it. After you like how the Car looks
you need to wash the Car in cool water to take off any excess Dye.
Now you need to use Rubbing Alcohol to get the Dye off of the windows
and wheels as everything was Dye or is that Died?? anyways , this
will take off what is not needed for the Car to look right. Its like
boiling eggs but in a shorter time span.

Have fun and hope this helps anybody who didn't know how this was
done.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They didn't die, they were dyed lol. Definitely a custom job and the seller was clueless or just wanted you to buy them and pleaded ignorance hoping you would. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for them.
I don't think that was the case, because she didn't ask but $1.00 per. So I was glad to pay $3.00 for them. Thats the price she had on all her Hot Wheels. These just happened to catch my eye. I believe the dyed explaination, I just don't think anyone would go through all that trouble for practically no profit what so ever. I also believe that it was reblistered. I just think that it was a great job of it. Other than these 3 all the other cars looked to be from the late 90s. But nothing hard to find or anything. I will never know how these got in the mix.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
How do you go about reblistering them?
There are techniques maybe the customizing forum has better answers, but you can remove the bilsters (at least I used to hear of this) with lighter fluid and they can be reattached with I think a thin layer of glue typically. Usually easy to tell a blister has been resealed but some guys are really good at it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Elmer's Glue works wonders on BP's and you won't be able to notice if
you did the first step right and that's taking off the BP without tearing
the Card. It does take patience in getting it right.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Some of those surfaced at a Wal-Mart here several years ago. I have to assume that one of the flea market guys around here had them and could not unload them for a profit so they took them to Wal-Mart on a current receipt for a refund.

That type of things happens here in Houston often. Buy a 5 pack of HW or Jada cars or whatever and replace them with 25 cent cars, return it to the store for a refund. Real classy folks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Flee Market Find

I bought these 3 Hot Wheels at a flea market. The woman said she guessed they came that way. But I am sure that somebody had to have customized them. But I will say this, they are very well done. Click on thumbs.
Hi, I have a Dairy Delivery the same way. As I understand it, someone was dying them as a custom job. He was on the old AOL Special Intrest Group. You would send him two Dairy Deliverys and he would return one that had been died. Later, Someone asked for ten of them for a special project and was to return one to you customized. I sent 10 and never heard from him again. Thanks, Dan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts