Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to Sci-Fi model building. Which of the Star trek model kits should I try to build? Which is the easiest and with the least amount of fit issues, etc. I tried building a Polar lights Kiligon ship. That thing was sooo crooked and almost needed a dry-wall crew to fill in the gaps. The neck looked like it was in a fuhouse mirror. What kit do you reccommend that I buy and build?

·
Registered
17 Posts
o.k., it kinda depends on a few detail on what your looking for in a model. are you planning on lighting it? are you looking to build it straight out of the box and just paint it with no accurazing done? or are you wanting to do some accurazing but not much?

right off the top of my head the most bang for your buck is the polar lights/ round2 tos enterprise in 1/1000 scale. it seems to be pretty darn accurate.(those that can, will chime in with the small details that are off) the added bonus is that it comes with parts to make all three versions of the ship. the two pilot versions and the one seen in the series. another good upside is that it comes with plenty of clear parts in case you decide to light it up. not only that but it's a good mix of not to small to add great details, and not to large to take up alot of shelf space.(fits on most small book case shelfs) the only main down side to this model is that for some reason paramont required them to put the licencing info on the outside of the model. it's on the bottom side of the disk. but this is even easily rectified by a little sanding. take like five ten minutes of good elbow grease. and for around $15 bucks at your local model store it's easy on the wallet.

or you can wait a couple of weeks for them to release the tmp/enterprise-a in 1/1000 witch promises to be just as accurate if not more accurate. should be in the same price range. or pick up both of them and start a same scale collection.(the nx-01 from enterprise is also in this scale but it needs a little more care to make it really shine)

that's my recommendation to get you started in the modeling world until you brush up your skills to tackle the ships that need a little more "love" . but like levar burton is fond of saying "you don't have to take my word for it!"

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
If the d-7 was a pain, then that 1701 is a nightmare. My experience building one was that it was one too many. But I should have followed the directions rather than simply thinking I knew how it should go together.

If you want dead simple though, that vulcan shuttle reviewed here the other day is your ticket. And with the extensive decals, looks like it can be made real nice fairly easily. It's the sort of kit that could nearly be done blindfolded.

But for a classic trek kit that goes together well enough out of the box, the standard 18" 1701 (AMT605 i think) is perfectly good to get your feet wet with.

It is easy enough that it provides satisfaction during assembly, but has enough pain-in-the-butt-edness about it that you can take it further. It doesn't have the accuracy of that 1/1000 version, but it's much simpler to assemble and can be made very accurate if you choose. The decal sheets are also extensive, but can be frustrating to work with if R2 hasn't changed teh initial formula from a year ago. (The first printings were inconsistent and difficult to work with.) It's cheap enough that you can screw it up royally and not be too worried. And cheap enough that if you screw that one up, the next one will go together like pancakes and butter.

imo, of course.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Where's the poll?
You're supposed to include a poll for us to vote on!!:p
Just kidding.

If you are looking for a kit that is simple, then get
the Galaxy - class U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC - 1701 - D.

There are many who would eschew the kit, but it is
easy to construct. The nacelles won't sag. Not too many parts.
It is my favorite kit to build. (Not my favorite ship, that's
the refit Enterprise!)

Anyway, I think it is an easy kit to start with.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
If you're looking for the "New Only" round 2 stuff (I'm talking about the kits that would be the most avalible right of the shelf at this point in time and not the eariler RC2 and AMT stuff prior to July 2009) then I'd start out with MR. Spock.

He's a figure kit, but with a bit of seam line clean up and paint, you can have a very impressive kit done in a relativly short time. I built mine in 1 night! (Link : http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=277761)

Following this, try out the Vulcan Shuttle. There are few parts and the fit, if it's anything like it's 1979 original, is very "Tight" and wonderful. Check out Model Man's review on this kit as well. (Link : http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=278982)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I got the NX-01 Enterprise 1/1000. Got some metalizer paint and some cool aztec decals to put on it. Any advice on how to paint those tiny little windows?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I've used a toothpick dipped in thinned white (or black) enamel. The windows are recessed. Thin the paint down enough so it flows off the tip of the toothpick until it fills the frame. Works well for both round and oblong windows. Another option is a gel ink pen. Tap the tip against your finger until the ink starts to flow before touching it to the window. Nice thing about gel ink is you can wipe away any excess with water; I use a cotton swab or microbrush for cleanup. Don't confuse gel pens with permanent marker pens though ! Do the windows after decaling and applying the first sealer coat. Then seal again after doing the windows with clear acrylic or lacquer.
P.S. You can even tint the finished windows different colors by adding a little ink or acrylic paint to Future and applying it as a glaze.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts