Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm half way through my 1/32 FLYING SUB from Lunar models! I just glued the main two skeleton frames to the front and rear bulkheads...Man its cool to finally see it take some shape after three months of prep, interior work, sanding, filling, crying, etc.

pics later...due to weather related issues no internet at home...OH CRAP! here comes the boss...seeya!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've got the NSEA Protector from GalaxyQuest waiting for me to get home and work on it some more. I got it at WF in 2000, and it finally floated to the top of the pile :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am working on several - Big Creature from Diceman. Yaghers London After Midnight and his latest Phantom of Opera. Green Fried Killer Tomatoe, with Bod. Babe and Dr Gangreen. Creepy #4 Cover Art (Frank Frazetta)

Wife is working on her third model PL Witch, with a nice tree (house).

Gerry-Lynn

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds cool Gerry and Mango..... gotta see sum pics when yer done.

Resin building can be challange indeed.

Building an 'older' Lunar kit is like getting a bunch a parts that give you a rough start and idea on how to scratch build the subject you just bought....one needs lotz of glues, sanding material, epoxy stuff and a good eye to build a Lunar vacu/resin kit...if it was not for that CA glue & baking soda trick I could never do a project like this...otherwise it would take about two months more just waiting for fillers to set :freak:

Oh well its worth it....man this sucka is big!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'm busy using some aftermarket resin pieces turning a AMT 1/24 scale
'69 Plymouth Barracuda into a '68 Barracuda Hemi SuperStock Factory delivered replica.
have the grille/ headlight assembly removed and replaced, and the Hemi Hood has been shaved and fitted into place,
a wired Hemi engine is waiting, its slowly coming together.

Oh, I build cars, does this count?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm about to attack the old Planet Models Sanders-Roe SRA/1 jet-powered seaplane fighter. This kit has been in my stash for about 10 years. So many models, so little time...

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rebel Rocker said:
A model is a model is a model.......

Hey, has anyone done the Lunar models' Spindrift? The 17" kit? How difficult a kit is it?

Wayne
Yup! Its not for the beginner thats fer sure. Lunar kits need lots of savy and patients. Mayby the newer molds or resin parts are better? I had the older interior kit but said "Forget that!" and scratch built mine. I here the 'newer' 16" Flying sub is a better kit with brand new resin parts.

Here is mine: http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/html_lib/giants-dioramas/00025.html

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Ah, yes, I remember that, Troy; that's when Uncle Odie splashed my name all over the internet and made me "IA world-famous" (in my own mind)! :wave:
Anyway, the re-tooled LM Spindrift is very nice, as is the new & VERY improved interior kit, which are next on my project list after I do the re-tooled LM Flying Sub & Interior.
How's your Flying Sub coming along? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Steph - That's looking good. What scale is it?

Gerry-Lynn

PS Forgot to mention Bates Motel (mixed media) 1/25th and 1/87th to my list.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say the Spindrift....If the Flying sub I have wuz my first vac kit I would have tossed it by now. I'm sure the newer kits are better.....buy from Lunar....If you get an ebay or trade kit it may be an older release.

Good luck!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Gerry-Lynn said:
Steph - That's looking good. What scale is it?

Gerry-Lynn

PS Forgot to mention Bates Motel (mixed media) 1/25th and 1/87th to my list.
Thanks Gerry-Lynn. It's a 1/1400 kit. Sadly it's not the same size as my 1/1000 Green Arcadia. It should look kinda nice beside my Green Arcadia and my Captain Harlock 1/6. I should finish it soon, I hope. Time to start something new. If you have time to loose, here's some pics of them. It doesn't show on the pictures but the Green Arcadia has yellow LED's in it. I'll try again to take pictures of it in semi-dark condition.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/f1steph/album?.dir=d838&.src=ph

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/f1steph/album?.dir=695d&.src=ph

Steph

·
Oxidation Genius
31,239 Posts
Finally decided to tackle Collect-Aire's 1/48 McDonnel XP-67 Moonbat, a WWII prototype that didn't get selected. It's a gorgeous blended-wing design that looked very advanced for its time.

The resin kit looked like it would go together easy enough, having very few parts. Of course, it would help if the parts FIT! :mad:

The nacelles fit to the front of the wings. They're an open pour so you have a lot of sanding to get the meniscus of resin off the "flat" join. Then you find out they're about 1/16 larger than the mating surface on the wing. The only way to get the contour matched is to sand, sand, sand, and sand off all the surface detail in the meantime. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I'm trying to put enough weight in the nose to make it stand on its nosewheel. The main gear is VERY far forward on this design. So far I have ELEVEN rounds of 230-grain .45ACP hardball and four rounds of 55 grain .223 FMJ in the engine nacelles and behind the cockpit, and it JUST balances on its nose wheel! Can't wait to see what happens when I add the stabilizers! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Drill down throught the fusilage and fill that sucker with B-B's or heavy lead shot.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,239 Posts
the Dabbler said:
Drill down throught the fusilage and fill that sucker with B-B's or heavy lead shot.
What, you think .45s are light? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts