Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the same question on another forum.

What makes us so obsessed over these little toy cars? We anxiously await to see what the new model or new recolor is for the next release. We actually like to go to stores find Treasure Hunts, Green Machines, White Lightnings and other chase cars when we normally loath going shopping. We go gaga over adult collectible versions of a $1 vehicle. We love taking pictures of our newest finds to brag to other collectors. We can spend hours talking about our favorite castings, the "holy grail" of the collection, memories of our first cars and the utter disgust we have of scalpers. We love finding new finds at flea markets and yard sales. So what makes us obsessed?

Answering my own question, I had a lot of HW and Matchbox cars when I was a kid, like a lot of you did. I gave them away to my dads friend who has kids, so they are being played with and enjoyed. My current collection is primarily my "dream car garage", filled with muscle cars and sports cars I could only wish to own.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I personally love cars. This is a way for me to collect cars without having to spend tens of thousands of dollars on the real things.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It started off as a fun and cheap way to satisfy both my low self-esteem and OCD with the hunting and acquisition of "rare" items that I then post on the interwebz to receive the much needed kudos and acceptance that I never got as a child.

But now my ADD has gotten the better of me and my focus has shifted to vintage She-Ra figures. :p:tongue::freak:

But seriously... unless I win the lottery, 99% of the toy cars I buy represent 1:1 vehicles that I'd like to own but can't afford (or in rare cases, justify). ;) I bet that's the most common reason you'll get from your query.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
While I can't say I "loathe" shopping, I always like to find just what I'm looking for, regardless of what it is. And these little cars provide something carefree and fun to look forward to. Something new and shiny, which appeals to the kid in all of us. Instead of finding what's under the tree only once a year, we can do it whenever something comes out.

My own collection is a reflection of my love of transportation and design in general. And that plays into the photography as well. The pictures are a celebration. Childhood memories, or the desire to own them in 1:1 actually play a very small role with me personally. Many full-size cars I'd really like to own, I've either never seen in miniature, or the miniature is too expensive right now.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
1st we all love cars. Then, we like to collect, Im sure most us here collect other things as well. I have some friends that could care less about cars, and have no collection of any kind like coins or stamps or whatever. Then you add the "hard to find" and chase and people like us are hooked!

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Not really sure. I have always like "miniature" things from model building, trains, slot cars, military figure painting, and so on. Diecast cars were always a part of my childhood and I have worked in and around cars since I have been 15 (32 years), so when you put those 3 things together, a mini diecast cool car with killer detail is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Dude my first word was car. 4 decades worth. Any kind I just love them all. My grandfather sold them in his store until it closed and I would always check out the inventory and keep it in 1-75 order for him. This is my way to get the cars my wife will never allow and I can't afford to have in 1:1

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I think maybe "Car" was the first word I ever said as a baby learning to talk. Other than "Mommy" "Daddy".

Cars have been and always will be a HUGE part of my life!!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I collect for the love of cars as art and for the love of racing. This hobby also helps keep
my spending in check with my other more expensive hobbies.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Like many others, I don't have an old aircraft hangar to display 1:1s, or the money needed to acquire them. The die-cast are a way to satisfy that desire.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I believe that I started collecting cars was for the car chases on T.V. and then it turned in to Historical References and now its a combination of the first two and "Because I like them".
Richard

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
for me i have a love for anything on 4 wheels and if i was a multi-billionaire my 1:1 collection would surpass my diecasts. so this is how i do it without spending alot. then comes the customizing which i have always loved doing to most items just modifying them to suit my taste or make it into a version they should already have produced. i do enjoy the thrill of finding something you seen online and finally got it in your hands. so its not an obsession for me, something fun to do and even funner to customize them due to the challenge. sure i could do a bigger car and would be easier to find pre made parts and such but the fun of it (for me) is creating parts nobody produces.i also enjoy restoring the vintage cars and putting modern mainline wheels on them(if the originals are that bad). some may look at us weird but the ones who do, probably use a 1:1 car as an appliance like their refrigerator. atleast i can say one thing. my diecasts and 1:1 are cleaner and have more of a shine to it then most cars on the road!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I collect because I have grown up around farming and construction. I also enjoy older cars and trucks as well, whether they are muscle or from pre-1950. My collection shows a lot of my past influences. I collect to remember, enjoy, and dream.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For me it is, like many of us, a way to enjoy cars that I would not even begin to dream of owning in 1:1. It also brings back memories of childhood and makes new memories with the finding, 'cracking', organizing, and displaying of them. Keeps me from playing in the road and from spending any serious money on a hobby.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I've always had a collector mentality and I also love cars, so it seems pretty logical that I've ended up collecting die cast. I also find cars to be functional art, they're transportation and also can be beautiful. Sometimes I do just take a car off the shelf and just look at it and really appreciate what went into designing it. Then as far as the collector side goes, I love the hunt. It's just fun to try to find all the different ones I want to add to my collection.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Dude !!! This has to be "QUESTION OF THE YEAR"... I have ask myself this same question so many times, it's unreal... It is so hard to pass a store I haven't been in for a few days or more without wondering what's new on the shelves... I have been this way for 50 years or more... I will buy diecast before I buy food...
I love cars and can't have every car I love in 1:1 so these little ones will definetly do... I'm a floor covering installer and have been all my life, but I bet I've worn the knees out of more pants playing with my cars than I have laying tile, vinyl, hardwood, or carpet, and that's no joke... I have paid as much as $200.00 for one car... I value and care more for the little ones than I do my real cars... I have had as many as 12,000 cars at one time and paid insurance on them, which I still do, but not near as much for near as many little cars !!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have a very narrow focus: cars from TV and movies.

First of all, holding these cars in my hands brings back fond memories of the TV shows and movies I grew up with. When others see my collection, they get excited as they recognize the cars they grew up with, too.
And as much as I like to sit back and enjoy my collection, I'm always excited about what's next. There's just something about walking into a store and finding something new on the pegs.

So if you combine all the things I mentioned, that pretty much sums up why I obsess over these toy cars.

- JJ
www.hollywood-diecast.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts