Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wondering what brand of track everyone prefers (excluding custom built). I'm using TOMY right now but I really don't like that it doesn't lock together very tight. The old Aurora track use to be a pain to assemble but the pins and clips really did hold it together well.

Thanks, Brian

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Brian,

Have you tried the AFX track clips? The track clips really tighten the track joints and make the track a lot smoother overall. I was actually surprised how much better the track is after using them on my personal track.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Before I had routed my own, I really liked the tyco track.
Great electrics, stable joints and a good variety of fun bits too!
Plus, I was always finding it wicked cheap. :thumbsup:
If I ever went back to plastic sectional, that's the way I would go again.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I amassed a considerable amount of lock and joiner, but after numerous cleanings I still had issues. It being a lot more work to assemble and disassemble as I tried different layouts left me kinda miffed. During my 80's slot period I acquired a meager stock of AFX track, and after finally getting it out of storage in FL, decided to use it instead of L&J. Granted, since I lost my big table, I only have a small area to play with, and after almost 3 years I still haven't set myself a decent layout, but the Tomy/AFX track is so much easier to set up and tear down I've stuck with it. The curve selection (if I ever get the stuff I want) make it much more appealing. It seems to stay cleaner than the old stuff too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Original Aurora AFX track was the best when you consider variety and quality. Too bad the poor design on the locking tabs made the track infamous.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Registered
299 Posts
Okay so I am doing the oddball choice.
Track of my choice is still Faller.
pro's: I'm used to it from childhood on (first drug is still the one to be remembered), unbelievable choice of different tracks, looks like a real road/street, immensely versatile, lots of scenery parts, standard tracks still readily available in the bight although out of production since 82,

con's: tracks are not as widely spaced as the others, laborous to put together nearly as much as L&J tracks, longest straight only 8#,

Regards

Mario

If it has to be quick set up wise my choice is Tyco as got loads of it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have heard that Atlas (and Faller?) were the best designs, but they are not widely available. So, therefore...

My choice is the newer style Mattel because of the improvements made to the Tyco design. While 100% compatible with Tyco, the locking tabs are far superior (even compared to Tomy) and the electrical connections are rock solid. I have not have one electrical problem with my track, even when I change layouts. Another huge factor in my decision - even lane spacing; it is the one unalterable characteristic of any sectional track.

Pros:
Used Tyco is inexpensive and plentiful
Lots of track selection
Even lane spacing
Less downforce than Aurora

Cons:
Mattel isn't making anything worthwhile any more
Tyco style has weak center tabs
The letter molded into the track surface (#1 bonehead move of all time)
Slot depth less than Aurora AFX or Tomy

I used to have Aurora L&J track. Electrical connections were terrible. Any style track that uses the "tabs pushing against each other" method (Aurora, Lifelike) will probably have less electrical stability/ruggedness/connectivity than those that use the "slide next to each other" method of Tyco/Mattel and Tomy.

Joe

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Update....

If money wasn't in the equation, Faller would be my first choice. Mario is right on the money regarding track selection. I am on the flip side of most slotters, so the real road angle appeals to me. The double lane turnoffs and stuff like that really interest me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
HI slotcarman12078,

the double turn-off is nice but a bit of bummer as it is intended for normal road traffic play and not for racing. Meaning the cars run in opposite directions, you can turn off only with one car per turn off as the other lane is the in-coming traffic. It took quite a while for Faller to realise that racing was the order of the day and not another railroad layout with cars instead of trains. Although I must admit that I really like the town thingy idea. Specially in combination with roll-on roll-off traffic on trains or container loading and unloading of trains via an electric container bridge. Gravel from trucks to train waggons by conveyer belts and back to trucks. Here would come the Tyco trucks US1 quite handy.

If you want something along those lines Faller is defintely the thing to go for.

Mario

·
Most Interesting Member
6,343 Posts
My favorites are Tyco/Mattel, and Aurora AFX.

One brand worth mentioning is Marchon.
The big downfall is the turns are all 9" radius, banked and flats,
so it's only good for two lane layouts or drag strips.
The plus' are Tyco lane spacing, intersections, nice trick tracks and
a great connection system combining something like a 32nd scale and Tomy.
I hope to build a two lane scenic someday with the track I have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts