Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!:wave:

I was thinking, and I decided to make a thread for everyone to discuss how they started RC racing, and why they chose to race oval over the rest?

I started RC racing, because it looked amazingly fun and being a huge race-fan, it is a good experience to meet new people and learn more about the mini-version on nascar racing. The reason why I chose to race oval was because I am a huge Nascar fan, and our local RC track is famous for it's unique tri-oval and I wanted to be a part of it. There are more reasons why, but those are the main reasons.

So, how did you get into RC racing, and why did you pick to race oval???

Thanks!
Justin #29
JDM RC Racing
Jaco RC Tires
Silva Concepts
Bandit RC Bodies
Pole Position Batteries
www.geocities.com/cornwallrc

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I too was a huge race fan & used to race big cars. I have been toying with R/C cars for around18 years but about 8 years ago one of my buddies that races big cars too asked if a few of us wanted to go check out the R/C racing in a nearby town. We took our Rustler's with us to mess around with at the track & ended up racing them that night. I was completely hooked!! I started ordering stuff to start oval racing that following Monday.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Used to race motorcycles, retired at 30. Saw a television ad on TV of buggys going over jumps for local hobbyshop. I went and bought an R/C 10 and the rest is history!. I Paid extra to have the RC-10 assembled, it took them 10 days and $100.00 bucks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well, i hate full scale racing, and i have been exposed to wooden models for quite a while.. then i was in a hobby shop buying some balsa wood and saw a little Micro RS4, and setup a little track in my basement, then moved on to a small concrete track and raced with about 20 others twice a week

and some of the older guys i was racing with told me about 1/10 oval and i checked it out, and got hooked on it... and here i am today!

Mike Voccola

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, basically the main reason why everybody started RC racing was because they had a friend, couldn't affford full scale race cars, or just liked racing period. Some more feed-back would be great keep it coming guys!

Thanks!
Justin #29
JDM RC Racing
www.geocities.com/cornwallrc

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been an oval racing nut for quite some time now. I bought some stuff to go 6cell pan car at the Drummondville club then BAM it closed. I settled for Granby and St-Roch during 5 years.

I've also tried dirt oval and liked that too. Eventually I want to make my own small rc and hobby store so I can organize some oval racing and help other ''local'' clubs. Since Drummond is a racing town, rc racing would be a natural.

Stephane Courchesne

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I started out racing 2 stroke sprint karts on road courses in FL. When I went into the Air Force I lacked the time, money and recources to continue racing karts. I was in town one day and saw a race going on and I knew that was it. I already had a timaya fox that I used to bash in the yard with, even took it to Saudi twice, so R/C wasn't a mystery I just didn't know they actually raced the cars. Anyway, long story short, I bought a wide fiberglass 10L a B&R Bullet stock motor and some other stuff and went parking lot racing. I won my first race and the rest is history, been racing since 1989!

I have met a ton of great people in this hobby and have really enjoyed it a lot, So much in fact that A friend and I opened Echeconnee Superspeedway in April 1992. www.echeconneesuperspeedway.tk and we still hold races today, I wonder how long the madness will last, it's been 12 years so far and we still can't get enough!

·
Registered
213 Posts
For me it all started on X-mas when my mom got my dad a train set. My dad didn't like having to drive 1.5 hours to buy train items and since he had an open store front on the other end of his gas station he decided to open up a hobby shop.

I had seen r/c racing before in town on the dirt oval and I always wanted to do it but didn't have the money. So this train purchase allowed me to take on the radio control side of the store and from there my hobby began. I ran oval because that is what the local club offered. Once I moved away I ran oval with a local club in Madison. About 4-5 years ago that particular program went away. So to feed my addiction of racing I went on-road racing.

Due to my work schedule I have not had the availability to run oval in a long time. So I have come to the conclusion that for me, racing is racing as long as I am hanging out with friends and having fun.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
A lot of playing on the streets and dirt roads. Then a friend made me go to the races with him and his dad. I was hooked. I would have never went on my own.

Makes you think at your local track - how many new racers come from already established racers. Not many come alone not knowing anyone at the track. Very intimidating for sure.

Also.... my first car was a grasshoper that was built and included everything... the modern day RTR back in the mid 80's. Seems RTR's help get more started today than anything else. We need RTR oval rides for 300 or less :)

J

·
0 Posts
I have always been facinated with little electric cars. I started way back in the Philippines with slot cars. Then came here in the states and got my first taste of RC in NJ(megatrack). Moved down to Florida and found FASTRACK in Largo,FL where I also met one of the best & nicest guy in RC....Mike Boylan & Scarecrow Kenny Holmes, who got me to go to Whipporwill in Narcoosee Rd in O'town(orlando)....out of the blue...moved to the Mountains of TN and got myself around one of the best oval track~~BMS.....been hooked to oval...be it dirt or carpet or concrete all my life.
My first oval car was The Predator from Composite Craft/Total Racing Concept(TRC). I also had at one time a Dominator & Intimidator from CW as well as an ADX. Now have a Hydrive SSE Pro2.
GO FAST......TURN LEFT....:wave: :wave:

Henry E.

J

·
0 Posts
RCThunder said:
Those were the days!! Lots of awsome memories right Henry!!
You bettcha Mike. Those were the days of THUNDER (& dust).......lol
Lottsa memories.....(make me cry) hahahaha......:cry:

BTW.....how's the guys at GT Racing down in G.T Brey in Bradenton fare with hurricane Charley? I hope they are all fine. I was watching your webcam all day hoping to see some r/c parts strewn all over your yard....j/k...Iam glad it missed Tampa Bay. Ok.....latah....alligatah.....:wave:

Henry E.

·
Registered
315 Posts
For me, same as Mayhen above. Raced motocross for 22 years. I lived about 3 miles from a local track and one day the wife and I just decided to stop and that is pretty much it. R/C has the same rush as MX, especially 1/8 buggy, and it is not any harder on my DESTROYED knees. I found out pretty quick that casing a big triple with a RC10GT hurts ALOT less than on a CR250. LOL!

Mke Edwards

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well i started racing RC cars my 7th year of racing go-karts, then after 9 yrs of karts i quit and went big car racing and been racing RC cars for about 6 yrs and big cars for about 3. And i got into RC by goin and watchin then helpin a freind then racing myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My brother and I raced slot cars for a couple years, then in 1978 he got a 1/12 scale R/C car so I had to have one too. My first car was a 1/12 Jerobee gas car converted to electric - one piece molded plastic chassis, no suspension in the rear, no diff, solid rubber front tires, GE battery pack, Cox stick transmitter. We saw a flyer in the local hobby shop for an R/C car club starting up and figured we'd check it out. The first meeting of the R/CAR club (1979), was also my first organized R/C race - track was a tight road course layed out in a truck garage with roofing tar paper for the track surface. Things have changed just a bit...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, this one is kinda weird but I started becasue one night at a Boy Scout Metting about 3 years ago, we had a talent night and my friend brought his racing fleet and equiptment, I became addicted to R/C since that night, i was amazed with the support equiptment used and myself already being the type that loved building random things or taking things apart, it was a perfect match.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I raced full size cars for 13 years, then in 1991 my dad passed away so i decided to retire from racing at the age of 29, i started to remodel my house and do all the stuff an adult is surpose to do,when my brother got in to r/c racing and ask me to go watch, at first i had no interest in it at all, then i broke down and bought a bolink lto wide car, at first a hated it,but i'm not the type of person that gives up,so i stuck with it,now i'm the one that got the current plattsburgh ny track started,raced at 33 different tracks all over the northeast,i still miss full size cars but i would rather race r/c cars the people and the atmisphere is so much better,the only down to r/c racing is i gained 40 pounds since i started.

Dan Dubuque

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
40 lbs? You only weigh 90 pounds now!

We (my brother and I) had toy r/c cars as far back as I can remember(what a waste of money that was) . When I was 7 or so we had a babysitter who flew planes and had a few gas cars...he liked the fumes I think! We were psyched to say the least the first time we saw his Gas cars go! He hooked my parents up with an 1/8th scale gas car for us to share the next Christmas. I was 8 my brother 6 and we had a gas 1/8th scale on road car. Talk about in over your head. We had a great itme just figuring the thing out. We broke enough parts in the school parking lot that we shelved it and went electric....my parents hated the mess we always came home with....The rest is history 21 years, dozens of cars and trucks, 4 tracks and a hobby shop later I'm back again after a little break concentrating on racing Asphalt Late Models. I love this stuff!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Racin

Raced late models for some years and got to old!!!! Started old with oval r/c now my son carry's on lol his eyes work mine dont. Raced in illinois and Wisconsin for a few years now there are limited oval tracks here but we still try.Bolink made just about all the bodies and cars when i started and lynxx and associated came along. Wow have the parts and batteries changed!!!

OvalD :wave: ad

1 - 20 of 50 Posts