Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I graduated from college this spring and have some time to kill. During my year off I thought it might be good to take up a new hobby or two. I think building model kits would help keep me busy. However, I have zero experience with them. Furthermore, I'm not really interested in model planes, ships, military vehicles. Instead subjects or themes I have an outside passion are sci-fi but particularly Star Trek. I've seen some gorgeous models of the Enterprise A on this site and that's sort of what I would like to eventually go to.

Of course, I realize that it will take a very long time for me to be anywhere that good and I don't even know if I have the patience but I would like to try. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good model kit to start with? Plus maybe one or two to follow up with? Keep in mind I'm just learning.
I'm a little strapped for cash but am willing to put down a hundred to get started.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
my best recommendation is if you like trek i'd start with the 1/1000 tos enterprise from round 2. about 15 bucks,pretty accurate,plus comes with parts to do either pilot episodes or the production ship. the only downside is that paramont made them put the licensing info on the OUTSIDE of the bottom of the disk. but it can be sanded off really easily.

and since you like the ent-a just wait another month and they'll be releasing the 1/1000 ent-a. and from the write up of it on starshipmodeler.net it looks pretty accurate. but compared to the ertle one pretty much anything is accuarate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well since i'm just starting off should i order 2 of those models just in case and/or can you recommend another model to follow off the the first one as a step up after I'm done? That way I can order both at once and save on shipping.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Since you love Trek you should start your model building education exactly where most Sci-Fi Modelers did. back in the day. That is with an original AMT Enterprise. They are currently available again from Round 2 in a collectors tin box.

Max Bryant

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Either of the Enterprises, the 1/1000 from R2 or 1/650 from AMT, would be a good place to start if you love Trek. Ah to be a beginner starting out with the modeling references and other resources available on the internet now and with experienced modelers more than happy to provide advice and assistance to new builders. It's a golden age in that regard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the input. I just ordered the amt 1/1000 tos enterprise. Now I get to figure out what tools and paints I need to have ready...:(

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
thanks for all the input. I just ordered the amt 1/1000 tos enterprise. Now I get to figure out what tools and paints I need to have ready...:(
It's a snap together. All you need are hands. Maybe some paint...:hat:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Helpful Model Buillding Tools

When you start gluing together models that are a little more complex there are many things that you can find around the house that are helpful:

- Toothpics or straght pins: for applying glue on small parts
- Exacto knife and side cutters: for trimming the flashing off of parts from the tree sprues
- Rubber bands: for holding parts together while the glue dries
- Clothes pins: for holding parts together while the glue dries
- Masking tape: for holding parts together while the glue dries or masking of certain parts while painting
- Small paint brushes for doing detail paint work on small parts
- Head mounted magnifying glasses or reading glasses for seeing and working with small parts
- Newspaper: to protect your counter or table top from glue and minor paint spills.
- Tweezers: for manipulating small parts (gluing or painting). Sometimes a pair of needle nose pliers works well too.
- Scissors: for cutting out decals
- Recycled Small food storage containers (butter, cheese dip bowls etc) for storing parts during construction (stay organized--small parts are easy to loose)
- A shoebox, storage box, or toolbox: to hold all your tools and model building supplies.

Take a walk through your local hobby store and take a look at the tools and other helpful items they have for sale. Alot of times you can find something at home that does the same thing as an expensive modelling tool.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tools that I consider essential:

X-acto knife
tweezers
glue...model and superglue
Bondo brand red glazing putty for imperfections.
Primer of your choice.
Wet/Dry sandpaper for automobiles in a variety of grits.
Emery boards.
I have recently experimented with drywall filler instead of red putty. The results are not bad but you must prime between coats. As a plus, it sands super easy and is real cheap.
Paints of your choice.

I use an airbrush now but when I started, I bought spray paint in the colors I wanted. I used Apple Barrell acrylics for detail painting with a brush. I still use them for brush painting.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
The 1/1000 kit you purchased comes with both stick-on and waterslide decals. Stick-ons are easier to work with and go on fast but the edges cannot be made invisible like waterslides can hence your model will not look as realistic. If you plan on just doing this kit as a snap-together though it probably doesn't matter because you'll still have seam lines and gaps which will make your ship look more like a toy. If you decide to try something a little more advanced by gluing and puttying seams to get a more realistic look, then get some cotton swabs for waterslide decal application. And a bottle of MicroSET and MicroSOL from your local hobby store to make the decals stick on nice and tight. There's a whole 'nuther art to decaling but that's part of the joy of model building; learning new skills and techniques to make something special you can admire.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You know a good thread to start would be a list of essential tools and supplies needed for building models. You could classsify them as beginner, intermediate, advanced. It would be neat to help new model builders get started with the hobby.

·
Registered
371 Posts
original post by bccanfield
You know a good thread to start would be a list of essential tools and supplies needed for building models. You could classsify them as beginner, intermediate, advanced. It would be neat to help new model builders get started with the hobby

As a newbie myself! that would be of a great benefit to us- who are just starting out. and would like to get off on a good foot,- not as easily discouraged that way,,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts