Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was wondering what model of Dremel tool you guys suggested for model work. All I will be doing with it, it perhaps thinning plastic, and drilling out starship windows. Nothing fancy at all.

Which one do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I use the Dremel MiniMite. it's battery-powered (with it's own battery type, no cords to tangle or get in the way, lower RPM's, which is handy for working with plastic and it's tendency to melt at high motor tool speeds. It has 2 speeds of low/high so you have some control as to how fast.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Pretty much most would work. I have a Dremel (dremel brand) that cost me 18 or so, its got a low speed and a fast just like warpCore's, of course you have to buy most of the bits (small). I think you can get it at walmart...worked good for me.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Don't recall the model number. Mine is plug-in. I really recommend the multi-speed. Mine has a number of speed settings which comes in handy depending on the job. Basically, select one of the packs with attachments you will use. You will no doubt have to buy more attachments, but they are reasonably priced. I've used mine for everything from cutting vinyl flooring out around a cabinet to slicing off exposed nails to shaping pinewood derby cars to removing JB Weld. 1001 uses!! :p

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mine is a Sears Craftsman brand, got it on sale. Every Dremel accessory i've ever seen fits it. Has multiple speed settings and was low in price, can't beat that.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Most any of the battery powered tools should work. All of the line powered tools that I've tried ran so fast, even at the slowest speed setting, as to melt the plastic after a few drilled holes. For anything other than styrene/ABS, any of them will do (preferably with speed control).

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I've also got a MiniMite, which I've hooked up to the output of a model railroad power supply. This puts out more speed and power, allows running for much longer than using the batteries, and gives infinite speed variability. It works well for me.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I got a new Dremel Stylus for christmas, I was so used to my old cordless Dremel that initially I didn't like the pistol grip. But now that I've gotten used to it, I find it easier to control, and it's ten position variable speed is a huge improvement over the Hi/Lo setting on my old one. And it's a lot lighter than the old cordless model.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, for now, I went with the MiniMite Dremel. It's pretty neat. I haven't gotten to use it yet however.

I do have a question though. What adapter ,or whatever call it, do I need to use the really tiny drill bits?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
PixelMagic said:
Well, for now, I went with the MiniMite Dremel. It's pretty neat. I haven't gotten to use it yet however.

I do have a question though. What adapter ,or whatever call it, do I need to use the really tiny drill bits?
It's called a collet, you can get one small enough for really tiny drill bits at the Dremel section at your local Walmart or home depot.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
I got a new Dremel Stylus for christmas, I was so used to my old cordless Dremel that initially I didn't like the pistol grip. But now that I've gotten used to it, I find it easier to control, and it's ten position variable speed is a huge improvement over the Hi/Lo setting on my old one. And it's a lot lighter than the old cordless model.
I got one for Christmas too! What I like is the recharging cradel. When you're done dremeling, just rest it back in the handy dandy recharging stand. It's also light and easy to use however you hold it.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts