Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to start a little discussion here...

What keeps guys from running the 13.5 open class?

Tires? Speed? Lack of Knowledge?

If you're a stock racer, what would it take to get you to "move up"?

IMO, tires are the number one reason why any class faster than 17.5 open is not too viable or popular on a weekly basis for most racers. Is there a solution? Would World GT spec tires work on a 'fast' car? Would a spec pink or XX pink rear tire do any good for the class as far as making it make more sense to run?

To anybody thinking the cars are too difficult to get a handle on, I'd like to mention that if you own any of the modern made-for-1s cars (like the KSG SCX, Stryker 2k12, McPappy McDominator, etc.) there is plenty of knowledge and setups out there to get your car on the track and fast right out of the box in 13.5 open.

Anyway, I'd just like to see some opinions and comments on what could be done. I plan to keep racing in the 13.5 open class...it'd just be nice if there were more cars to race against and some kind of way to keep tires on the car a little cheaper.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You talkin club racing then lack of other guys to race with next would be tires.Seems lots of tracks have plenty of trucks and as you go up the ladder there is less and less guys to race against.You want to race 15 guys or 3 guys.

Jake

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Lack of participation in the faster classes. Last season we only had a handful of race nights that we had enough cars to run anything other than 17.5.
As JDW said, you want to race with 15 guys or three?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok, what we're trying to get at is what would make those numbers change? If you guys raced it there'd be more cars huh? But what keeps guys out of the faster classes who aren't using the "nobody to race against" excuse?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
part of it is Money,
bigger part is Skill/knowledge.

the faster the cars go, the more people have trouble with setup and/or driving. for me it was Both.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Well, I want to run the faster classes, but I only run once a month, and there isn't really any local racing. So trying to get it all sorted out could take me most the season... But other then that, tires, and I don't know if I want to be getting lapped by you and Kyle all day when I am able to race...

Kevin

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
for me its ability, i can barely make an open 17.5 competitive. tires arent the only thing its knowing ones ability. thats my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
For ME, I like a class that is Faster than STOCK - but I don't like racing against guys w/ a SPEND ALL - BEAT ALL attitude.

I don't WANT to work on my car for 5 or 6 hours making it perfect, heck I really don't want to work on my car at ALL from one race to another (Working on the car is NOT what I enjoy)

I loved when the old organization "NORRCA" SPLIT some of the classes - ie: Expert vs Sportsman STOCK and MOD.

I know a lot of guys hated it, but when they did it Oval Racing was big...and on a good day a single STOCK Class would have 100 entries, and to run up front in Stock you either

A) Had to Be Sponsored
B) Had to spend a TON on Motors and Batteries..
C) Had to Spend a lot of time working on the car
D) Had to get to the track EVERY Chance you could to practice and get dialed in.

I'm a weekend warrior type racer. I don't care WIN/LOSE/DRAW, I like to race my "TOY" Cars against guys who like to spend as LITTLE time working on them, and who run on the tightest of shoestring budgets. It's like a game to us - who can UNDERSPEND the other and get the most Time and Use out of our equipment.

When I jumped from "STOCK" to "Sportsman Modified" I loved having more RIP than I had the ability to drive - and strangely...having MORE than I could put down - my Motor and Battery cost dropped significantly - (Tire cost went UP a bit...but the offset was HUGE)

Now I choose to still run 21.5/2c "BOOSTED" - much like Sportsman Mod, it's still almost more than I can handle, but I LOVE the feel of the rip (When I'm not BURNING Motors to the ground)

Since I'm not a great set up guy, and hate working on the car, I leave a lot of speed on the table, but most of the times I'm right on track w/ the other guys who have chosen this same direction. (And usually WE have fun!)

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) summed it up very well: "A man's got to know his limitations."

I race breakout, not even 17.5 open. And like Joe, I spend little time on my pan car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.