Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How about some good old fashioned diecast talk? I thought this might be a good time to discuss, and speculate on the future of JL. I thought, in spite of distribution problems, RC2 had some nice product, and we're beginning to show a little more thought in their second year. On the other hand, many people could not appreciate the good things because they could never find the cars. JL became almost a direct sales company where many were either forced to order from OLDs, or do without. However, in a perfect world, where we could all find the cars we want, what were the strong points that RC2 has made that you hope will carry over into the next phase of JL? With the line changing hands, what do you want to see continue? What do you not want to see continued?

Here's what I would like to see go on, and what I hope to see more of:

1) Lightning Rods. The idea of a series with lightning bolts is something I've commented on since joining the board. Do they all have to be chrome cars? No. Do the lightning bolt tampos always have to be the same? Again, no. Overall, I would like to see this series continue, but I believe there is room for innovation.

2) The silver chrome for first run cars is also something I personally have grown used to. And since they seem to be selling, I think it's a viable option. Some would rather not see this practice go on, and I was one of them early on, so it won't exactly kill me if this is not continued. But if we're talking about that perfect world, why not do a chrome variation for new future castings and a color variation too for the initial run? Give folks the choice to choose one, or both...and I bet they would both sell. Especially if we're talking actual new castings and not retooled RC cars.

Aside from that, probably the best thing RC2 has offered me was a fairly steady line of police cars. But here, a little more variety certainly would not have hurt. I've always wanted to see more classic cars as police cars. And if the Road Trip Desoto was any indication, they would be very hot items.

I would love to see a few more BWFs, HOWs, and if the new powers that be are open for future suggestions, a Diecast City set would be awesome. Some of those classic police cars would certainly go well here.

Talk, as the saying goes, amongst ya'selves :wave:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I want to see more modern cars. There are already enough muscle/classic cars.

Mark IV 98 Toyota Supra
92-95 Mazda RX-7
Nissan 300ZX
05 Porsche Carrera GT
07 Toyota FJ Cruiser
07 Jeep JK Wrangler
07 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
07 Nissan GT-R

more releases i want:

Hummers
Truckn' America
Working Class
A release for expensive/exotic cars
ANOTHER BASSIN RELEASE

·
Registered
302 Posts
79 Z28
73-76 Olds 442's
70/71 Plymouth Fury GT
74 Trans Am
72-80 Chevy/GMC truck
73 chevelle SS
74-75 Chevy Laguna
73-74 Road Runner
75 Road Runner
79 Dodge Magnum
79 Road Runner

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
84-01 xj jeep cherokee 4 door
international cxt
smart fortwo
89-96 ford thunderbird sc
AND what i had been sayin' FOREVER
BIG RIGS'
kenworth
western star
peterbuilt
international
brockway
ford
volvo
euro rigs
unimog
etc.
call the series
ROLLIN' LIGHTNING
do a maximum overdrive thing, wls would be the packs that include the trailer

how cool is that!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It will be interesting to see what might happen with the JL line if things do change. I agree that there has been some distribution problems at most of the stores. What I have started doing for a while now is buying from the on line dealers like Milezone's. With the price of gas it is cheaper and easier to just have the Johnnies sent to your house. You can get the cars you are looking for there.
I hope they keep making the BWF series and bring back the "Your Car Is A Star" series, that would be cool. I am a white lightning collector also, so I miss the whites being 2% of the run. I think that might have hurt the line a little also. If you run to the stores and open 20 cases of Johnnies, it's a little frustrating.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I hope the new owner continues the Holiday Chrome & American Chrome series - Would like to see more 50's cars .... M-2 Machines has a good start on those ... Need some Ford Rancheros to be made - they are very neglected in diecast !

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'd like to see some JLs on the pegs at a reasonable price of $4. Never thought I would say that. As for the actual releases and direction of the JL line, lets see the holiday cars brought back. They are usually the highlight release of the year for JL that many look forward to.

A full series devoted to police cars that could be converted into the stock version of the car would be cool as well. A tow truck series would be cool and how about some scale correct trailers as well?

We need more wagons as well. The 73 Caprice wagon proves that the casting doesn't have to be good for fans that have been starved of wagons in small scale in order to buy them. The 1970 Chevelle SS wagon and 1962 Chrysler Newport hardtop wagons would both be unique and great additions to the JL line.

As for what Lightning44 mentioned, it would be nice to see the new GT-R and some other recent new models done by JL.

How about some full size pickups/SUVs from the 1960s and 1970s as well? Some GMC, Ford, and Dodge trucks would be a welcome addition to the JL line.

Here's my current want list for the JL line:

1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser
1974-1978 Ford LTD
1962 Chrysler Newport Hardtop Wagon
1957 Ford Fairlane
1976 Chrysler Cordoba-(Come on, someone cast this in small scale already!)
1967-68 Chrysler Imperial
1964-1966 stock version of Chrysler Imperial
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS Wagon
1974 Chevy Impala sedan
1974 Buick Electra 225
1956 Mark II (Lincoln)-(Why has no one done this terrific looking 1/1 car yet?)
1962-64 full size mopar hardtop wagon
1970 Plymouth Fury GT

Zach

·
Registered
407 Posts
i would like them see them bring back the amrican hero emgency vec they did a great job when they made them if they would make the new crown vic with the details they all ways do they would look amazing

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd like to see any new owner(s) pick up the old RC/ERTL tool bank as well. Yes they had some terrible castings, but they had some real gems as well. And some of them have already been nicely included in the JL lineup. They had some beautiful mid 50's Chevys and Fords that were slightly larger that could be spun off into a new separate line of diecast (along with JL's too large Karmann Ghia and Nash Metropolitan). I'd certainly buy them if I could find them at retail here in Canada.

Allan

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I'd like to see a reissue of the Hispano Suiza.
I would also like to see both Willys pickups used again.
As far as new castings go, I would love to see any Studebaker Lark as well as a '67 Catalina.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm still waiting for the 70s luxo-barges. I want the big Town Cars and Marks, DeVilles, Imperials and an Electra 225. I'd love to see an original Mercury Marauder. Of course, I still want a Scrambler, since the only casting I have of that is a 25 year old Hotwheels. I'd also like to see them do the '78 King Cobra with the correct air dam, and the hood scoop facing the right way, instead of using the Cobra II casting.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
I can't beleave nobody has stepped up to the plate and said VOLKSWAGENS! Yes more VWs. We need a pre '66 VW Bug Convertable, A Karmann Ghia convertable and a Hebmuller! How about a Meyers Towd? There are many areas yet to explore here. (And we know how well VWs sell!)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
For me, I am partial to the BWF (Black with Flames) series. Also I want diecast cars, not plastic. That was the biggest reason I left HW in the 1st place. Also I love the detail on the castings. Granted there are castings that I don't really care for but I do appreciate the attention to detail put on the castings. For me it is how the overall product looks and if the hood and trunk close right. I would love to see a couple castings that open the doors and hood and if we are lucky a trunk also.As for the wagons and pick ups without trailers, I will leave them for others.
Sports/muscle cars are my over all theme to my collection and right at the moment it is BWF. Distribution does not seem to be an issue here, just new product.
I would also like to see the spoilers line/numbers continued.
Richard

1 - 20 of 87 Posts