Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm mainly a lurker here but I need some help.

I know nothing about the Johnny Lightning brand and I would greatly appreciate if someone could send me to a link with a Johnny Lightning guide/primer or perhaps give me a brief lecture. :)

There are so many different series I just don't know where to start. The only things I do know are that I prefer regular cars (ie. not race cars or hot rods) and that I'm particular about the wheel size looking stock (ie. not too big, not too small in terms of height). Also, I'm not much into finding/getting the chase cars.

Much thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
www.lightninglane.com shows about all of the series. The only thing is that sight shows Chase cars but it will give you an idea what is out there. Their might be another site that shows regular series.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
I'm with Al on this one. I don't buy diecasts or plastic car model kits (my primary hobby) on percieved future value. I buy the subjects that interest me (and I agree with your picks fo the most part!) as I see them on the racks in the store. Nowadays that is kinda tough in my area because it seems like fewer and fewer stores are carrying Johnny Lightnings at all! The local Wal-Marts MIGHT have 4 or 5 cars, and I'm fortunate if TRU has any at all!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm with Al on this one. I don't buy diecasts or plastic car model kits (my primary hobby) on percieved future value. I buy the subjects that interest me (and I agree with your picks fo the most part!) as I see them on the racks in the store. Nowadays that is kinda tough in my area because it seems like fewer and fewer stores are carrying Johnny Lightnings at all! The local Wal-Marts MIGHT have 4 or 5 cars, and I'm fortunate if TRU has any at all!
Yeah, I don't collect for investment purposes. I just wondered if certain series had better castings, detail, or scaling accuracy.

Yesterday I went to my local Wal-Mart and TRU. The Wal-Mart only had Hot Wheels. At TRU it looked like they once carried M2 Machines, Greenlight, and Johnny Lightning but the pegs haven't been replenished in ages.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Your best bet is to check Craigslist for your area for people selling collections.Or check to see when there will be toy shows. Never discount a train show as not having diecast as well

You will be hard pressed to goto any store and find any jl cars.Its just a thing of the past now

As for castings buy what you like. Also consider what scale there are

1/24s are really nice...

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
if you are seriously thinking about collecting Johnny Lightning, focus on the 60s and 70s muscle cars that they put out circa 2000 thru 2008. i would call those the golden years, these cars still had excellent detail, metal bases and decent tire and rim choices. In 2009, JL went to mostly plastic bases and the quality of the castings started to depreciate over time. That said, there are still some nice pieces to pick from in the 40th Anniversary and FE64 lines, which you can still find easily. Recent picks include:

67 plymouth fury
53 packard caribbean
92 typhoon
80/81 malibu
31 cadillac cabriolet
87 monte carlo
37 cord 812
79 international scout
77 dodge monaco
57 chevy ambulance/hearse
93 ford f-150

now here are some of my all time favourite castings that JL put out:
69 dodge dart
63 ford galaxie
68/69 olds cutlass
68/69 AMC AMX
58 plymouth Belvedere
69 chevy impala
65 chevy nova
71 pontiac gto/judge
68-72 chevy nova
70/71 mercury cyclone
69 dodge superbee
66/67 ford fairlane
60 ford squire wagon
68/69 pontiac gto
66/67 buick lesabre

i could go on and on, but i's really what you like to collect. enjoy, have fun and share your collection by posting pics!

:wave:

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
older JL were the best and my favs are the top fuel.i do have one question for you though and not trying to be mean.
why ask what series to collect.this is your hobby and your taste.if you need some one to tell you what to buy than why start collecting in the fist place.we all buy these cars because we like certian castings,either the look ,year or make.we do not collect for popularity,we do it for the love of the hobby.if you are only thinking about collecting JL due to popularity than i would say do'nt.you gotta like the car to spend the money on it.plus JL is looking like it is headed down the toilet again anyway....lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
older JL were the best and my favs are the top fuel.i do have one question for you though and not trying to be mean.
why ask what series to collect.this is your hobby and your taste.if you need some one to tell you what to buy than why start collecting in the fist place.we all buy these cars because we like certian castings,either the look ,year or make.we do not collect for popularity,we do it for the love of the hobby.if you are only thinking about collecting JL due to popularity than i would say do'nt.you gotta like the car to spend the money on it.plus JL is looking like it is headed down the toilet again anyway....lol
I'm not collecting for investment purposes or just because JL is popular. However, I do prefer to find and purchase products that meet my own idiosyncracies . To do that, I needed a reference point of knowing what's out there so I have some idea of where to start.

JL's own site was a bit lacking so I wanted to ask someone here for a few tips or a link to a good site (sometimes fans make the best info sites). rlyoung's link to jlcollector.net was exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts