Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Womps are a rough scale of 1/32nd scale pan cars manufactured by PARMA. They are fast , fun and at times uncontrollable. They need driven for sure.

From Parma they are delivered with 16D Death Star motors, more than enough for these little rascals. Many racers fit them with Falcon motors for more controlled speeds making handling a little better.

If you've never tried one , go to your local commercial track and see if they have a rental and try it. Be sure they have a new one to sell as well. Why ? Because after you've been at the controls of the uncontrolable , it becomes addictive.

Gonzo

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
When I was in college, specifically around 1988-1990, there was a commercial track near campus that raced these. They had several series based on them. Thursday night was my night. All classes that night raced on the banked tri-oval. I raced a Womp NASCAR class with Lexan bodies like the ones in Claus' pics, but my favorites were the hard body classes... you would cut the Womp chassis in half and lengthen it with brass tubing or piano wire to fit the 1/24 or 1/25 model kit body of your choice. If I recall correctly...

In Late Model class, you had to run a Camaro, Mustang, or similar pony car type body, and you were allowed to use piano wire to extend the chassis so it would flex. This class allowed the most powerful motors, and besides cutting the chassis in half, also allowed you to remove lots of material from the chassis for weight reduction. I bought a used one of these chassis from a guy who built himself a new one, and I mounted a Javelin body on it. I stunk, for all intents and purposes.

Charger class was midsize cars--Chevelle, GTO, Torino, Charger, et cetera. Slightly less powerful motors allowed. Here you had to use tubing instead of wire to extend the chassis, so it was rigid, but I think you were still allowed to remove some chassis material for weight. Never did one of these.

My favorite was Blunderbust class. Fullsize cars only--Impala, deVille, Galaxie, Bonneville, like that. These required the stock 16D motor and heavier tubing to stretch the chassis. No removal of chassis material except one 90-degree cut to lengthen it.

This is what I ran:

it was ugly, but it was awesome. I could nerf guys 2 lanes over. I was never competitive in any class, strictly lap traffic, but man was that fun... still have the cars...

(This was also the place where, not knowing the values of Thunderjets and not being into them yet, I sold a medium blue Mach 1 I had sitting around to another racer for 20 bucks. D'oh.)

--rick

·
Registered
787 Posts
Running Womps is a blast as long as you don't take it too seriously. Pretty much the key to any fun model racing. They come overpowered so people aren't obsessed with making more speed and the costs don't get insane.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I love that Caddy. :thumbsup: I've seen that photo before somewhere- maybe SCI or my old BBS?.
that was Planet of Speed, right? most likely there. i've only ever posted on SCI VERY infrequently, but I was on POS some when I had time to follow multiple message boards. now with 4 small-to-medium kids, i barely can keep up with this one... :rolleyes:

--rick

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
rick,

That Javelin and Caddilac are some race car memory keepsakes. Lucky! I always seemed to let stuff from my past get sold for money to pump up my next thing to do.

Had the same non win but, lots of fun when I raced Womps as a kid one year at a local routered 8 lane track near my house. I painted my first ever clear lexan indy body for this event. Not near as cool as your Javelin and Caddy.

Bob...hey all you kids go do crazy stuff like this right now...zilla

1 - 9 of 9 Posts