Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started this forum because I have just gotten a VOIP phone. A VOIP phone allows you to make phone calls over the internet using any commonly purchased phone... no need to use the old fashioned headset and mic setup that was used before. A broadband connection is required to use VOIP.

I have my service through HobbyTalk's newest sponsor, Quantumvoice. While I have not used it much, so far things seem to be working well, the calls work just line a normal landline and they have been clear... somewhere between a landline and a cell phone.

If you would like to hear what a VOIP call sounds like, you can call me weekdays between 10am and 2pm EST at 517-579-9419 or 219-695-2245. Yes, you can get two phone numbers and you can get them in just about any area code.

So, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some of the features include:

Unlimited Regional Calling
Unlimited Nationwide Long Distance including Canada
Voicemail
Call Waiting
Caller ID
Caller ID Block
Speed Dial
Portable Phone Service
(LNP) Keep your current number (where available)
Call Forwarding
Never miss a call (Follow-Me)
3-way Calling
Web-based Phone Portal
Inbound call logs
Outbound call logs
Missed call logs

All this for a flat price of $34.99. Visit the Quantumvoice web site for more details - http://www.quantumvoice.com

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi Hank,

Thanks for starting this thread. If anyone has any questions about broadband phone service, they can ask here and I will do my best to answer. :)

-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Hank, how is jitter on this service...

I operate a LARGE Cisco network in which using QOS is a NIGHTMARE...

Our voice dept. is looking at VoIP heavily..

But, without QOS, it is very flakey...

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So far I have been happy with it on my connection that has 256K up. But I am not really sure of the bandwidth requirements of it, they say it will work fine on 128K up. Voice quality is as good or better then my land line. The only place I can find a problem is sometimes when I am talking at the same time as the other person, parts of the conversation will drop out.

This is a consumer version I am using and I have no type of QOS built into my router. Not sure how their commercial would compare.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi Hank and everyone else,

We just launched a new 800 service. This is an industry first -- you get a personal, toll-free 800 number with unlimited incoming calls (U.S. originating) in addition to unlimited regional and nationwide long distance (U.S. and Canada). All this for a flat-monthly rate. See our website at http://quantumvoice.com for details.

We can also do LNPs (keep your current phone number) in Michigan.

-Rich

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Ok, I admit. I only "browsed" the FAQ's. I understand that you get 2 phone numbers and that the ATA has two "jacks". Does that mean each "jack" is assigned a number or will dialing either number ring the same phone from either jack?

What type of wiring goes from the ATA to the telephone? I am assuming that you just use the line that came with the phone. How does lenght of wiring and splitters affect call quality? Let's say that I want to run a line from my ATA to my main telephone splitter in the basement, resulting in 5 splits and 80 feet of line.

Can I continue to use my current digital answering machine? I do not like off-site voicemail services. I prefer to accidentally erase important stuff myself.

Will caller ID display on my handsets as they do now? Will people receiving my calls see my caller info the same as before?

Thanks for listening. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hopefully I can answer most of these... :)

Your phone plugs into the ATA using normal phone wiring... just like you were plugging the phone into a phone jack. Not sure on how many phones a single ATA will power.

Both numbers will ring on the same phone... the second jack is not activated.

You can use your own answering machine if you wish.

Incoming caller ID works as it does now with name and number. Outbound should work the same but it seems that since this is controlled by the phone companies that it is taking them awhile to get it working properly... my guess is since this is competition for the phone companies they aren't in a hurry to help in this area.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Thanks, Hank. :) You have it correct.

1) Phone Numbers

As Hank said the two numbers (if you get the friends-and-family option) will ring the same phone. The friends-and-family number is a virtual number that maps back to your primary phone number. You _can_ get a second number that is assigned to the 2nd port on the ATA.

2) Wiring

Here is an example of a typical setup:
http://quantumvoice.com/support_phone_howdoesitwork.shtml

Normal phone wire is used between the ATA and your phone.
In regards to splitters, there will be some loss, but it is just like doing the same with regular POTS service and you most likely won't notice a difference. We've had some customers use 4-way splitters to hook up 4 phones. However, most either use a single cordless phone or else use a multi-extension phone system.

Some customers have tied their ATA into their home wiring. We do not recommend that unless you know what you are doing since if it is done incorrectly, the ATA can be fried. But, if that is done, you can use all your house's phone jacks.

3) Voicemail

Voicemail comes standard with service. However, if you want it to not be enabled, there is an option during the sign-up process to say "no" to voicemail. You can then use your own answering-machine.

4) Caller-ID

Inbound caller ID for name and number (called Enhanced Caller ID) is standard. For outbound caller ID your number will appear. Whether your name appears is currently a bit spotty (primarily for the reason that Hank had mentioned). Basically we have to have dedicated PRI circuits that peer with the telcos to get the outbound caller ID name to work.

If you are calling people who are also customers of QuantumVoice, you will see their name and number since that information is in our switch.

Hope that helps. :)
-Rich

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Ok, I signed up yesterday. I hope it works as well as I've heard it does. I'll post an update once I get the equipment setup.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Yep, I saw your order in our system. LNPs take longer than a regular phone number assignment since there is a lot of interaction between carriers to get the number transferred.

-Rich

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I came up with a question while I'm waiting...
What will SBC do once they hear that my number is being transferred? Will they terminate my service? Can I have my landline phone working right up until the moment my VOIP stuff is setup? I was actually hoping to keep my landline for a day or two while I make sure the VOIP fits my needs. I guess that's not possible if both setups have the same number? Does this set of questions make sense?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Yeah, unfortunately when the LNP occurs, your account with SBC would be terminated at that time and your landline would be disabled.

-Rich

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
As long as your phone number falls in a LATA that we cover, then you can keep your phone number.

For pretty much all of Michigan we can LNP any number. We have nationwide coverage, but only in certain states.

-Rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts