Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i bought this at wf this year showed it to a buddy and he said it has the wrong arm's and is missing pieces can anyone tell me the name of the kit and who made it also a built up pic would be GREAT THANKS

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
That is Screamin's 1/4 scale London After Midnight vinyl kit. Looks like the right arms to me and the only thing I notice missing is the piece of cloth to make the bat wing cape. I have the kit built up, I see about getting a pic posted.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Here's a hastily shot pic of my build up of the kit. This was done some years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Excellent buildup Rick!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Great paint job!!
Roadflea, Rick's right- they're the correct parts for this kit .

Chris.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU for the info AND the pics gotta clear the bench then i might start on it THANK YOU BOTH AGAIN

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm building this one myself. From what I can tell, yours looks complete except for the cloth cape, as mentioned. I don't have that either, but from what I've seen in photos, the cloth that came with the kit looked kind of silly.

I'll bet you bought this bagged from Scott Kelley's Alternative Images table. He had tons of bagged Screamin' kits that he bought up, I think, when the company went out of business. That's where I got mine.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
You know Todd, I've seen a few builtups of this kit and I can't recall ever seeing the cloth used on any of them!
I think it looks great without the cape.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Just in case you're new to vinyl Roadflea, enamel paints have a tendency to attack vinyl and destroy it or dry glossy, or not dry at all.
I've sealed a few with Duplicolor primer u-coat and used enamel over them.
Having said that, it's best to use acrylics on vinyl kits....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Most definetly use acrylics on vinyl kits but most important let the kit soak in warm water to unlock any warpage , wash with mild palmolive soap to get off any residue from the mold releasing agents and when you have the warpage out run under cold water to freeze lock the vinyl , and last but not least on any hollow vinyl kit i use plaster of paris to fill the kit from the waist down i hold legs to balance and let it set so it weighs the figure so it will not topple over, primer then your good to go on the paint job .

Robert

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
You're welcome roadflea and thanks Chris! Another way to fill hollow vinlyl kit is a nifty item Smooth On makes called Foam-it. Mix the two parts together and it makes an expanding foam that set up solid. Don't try the home insulation stuff, found out the hard way it doesn't set up well in kits.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
I love the mysterious silouhette of the evil cat in the background! :)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
This is what the bat wing cape should look like...

http://www.lonchaney.com/product/cei-ph-sr-09.jpg

London After Midnight was an early Vampire/Detective movie starring Lon Chaney Sr. Its has a legendary status since aparently it is now "lost". But from most accounts it was not very good. There is a photo/slide show reconstruction that has been shown on TCM but I found it to be impossible to watch. The film was an early Tod Browning effort, and was remade as Mark of the Vampire with Bela Lugosi in the Chaney role.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
yeah ya gotta add some wire to get the cape to look like that .
it shouldn't be too hard to scratch build one .
haven't looked at mine in a long time but i recall the fabric that came with the kit is pretty flimsy so you'd probably want to replace it anyway .
hb

·
Registered
520 Posts
I love the mysterious silouhette of the evil cat in the background! :)

Yeah, but it's waaaayyyyy out of scale. :thumbsup:

Gene

PS - I do not recommend the expanding foam. If you use too much, it can easily distort the model. Also, it gives off more heat than Plaster does as it cures. Maybe the specific product Night Owl mentions is different than the 2, 4, or 6lb density stuff I tried - but I would be wary. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Guys,

I have a boxed "Man in the Beaver Hat" (which was allegedly the script's name for the vampire disguise worn by Chaney's "Inspector Burke"). The bat wing material is fuschia and very thin. It's supposed to be pre-cut to fit down the arms and the sides of the figure, but it's so floppy I don't see how it could be done. I think I'll probably use thin wire and tissue paper to make my wings. Diluted white glue would make the wings quite durable.

As for using oil-based paints on vinyl kits, the trick is to carefully prime the model first. I like Krylon, but I imagine that most primers will work. The thing to do is build up the coverage slowly with several light coats. Once the primer is dry, you can go in with pretty near anything - I've used artist oils successfully. Or you can basecoat the model with acrylics to provide a barrier, then finish with oil-based paints.

However you build your model, rflea, please post some pics of your MitBH when you get him done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts