Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced rc cars about 5 years ago and have decided to get back into some racing. What is the best radio out there right now? I currently plan on racing oval but will probably do a little road course and off road racing in the near future. Please let me know what you guys think. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you are starting out and want to keep the cost down the Futaba 3PM (2.4) is less than $200 as is the Specktrum DX3.0 or DX2.0. Airtronics makes a good 2.4 radio for under $200 also.

These are all good radios and do everything you will want or need for oval racing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The two most popular radios look to be the Spektrum DX3R and the Airtronics M11. But honestly, you should see what radio feels good in your hand. Not everyone like the lightweight feel of the DX3 models.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like the fact that u can program the grip button(or any button) on the 3pk to allow you to get 100% travel at a push. Real nice if you wreck as much as me. You may be able to do this on other highend radios dunno

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
This is like asking what flavor Ice Cream is the best. :D

Go to the track and ask the racers to allow you to hold their radio. If you have already raced, you know the "feel" you like and will know it when you have it in your hand.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I like the fact that u can program the grip button(or any button) on the 3pk to allow you to get 100% travel at a push. Real nice if you wreck as much as me. You may be able to do this on other highend radios dunno
I know for sure the DX3.0 and the 3PM will do that also.....very handy when you find yourself pinned against the wall! (Its happend to me once or twice....Ok about 100 times)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
How do you get the 3PM to do this? I got a 3PK just because I couldn't figure that out.
Dude I dont know......I read it would in the specs. I also just bought a used 3PK from a friend. But was going to buy the 3PM! I may be wrong....but the specs said 'steering over ride'.

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
If you want a good radio Buy a Futaba! 3PK or 4PK with DSM......Don't worry about how cheap the others are, the best is Futaba! Think about it, do you really want to drive your $1000 oval car with a cheap radio!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have it narrowed down to either the Spektrum DX3R or the Futaba 3PKS.

Does anyone know if the metal 3pk transmitter case fits the futaba radio with 2.4? It doesn't say anything about 2.4 and the extra antenna. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I had a Futaba 3pks with the Fast system and then moved to a Spektrum DX3R. It was one of the best changes I made. The DX3R with the large grip fits my hands very well. The best thing about it is the menu system. The 3PKS is 3 letter acronym hell. The Spektrum menu just makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I think I have it narrowed down to either the Spektrum DX3R or the Futaba 3PKS.

Does anyone know if the metal 3pk transmitter case fits the futaba radio with 2.4? It doesn't say anything about 2.4 and the extra antenna. Thanks.
now try both and find out which you are more comfortable with.

·
Registered
52 Posts
now try both and find out which you are more comfortable with.
He's right, go to the hobby shop or track and hold them. Good that you got it narrowed down, now buy what your comfortable with. Strong points for both. I have the DX3R but wont try to influence either way cause theyre both great radios. If your gonna race 15,30,45 minute mains, it has to fit your hand and style to be comfortable

1 - 20 of 22 Posts