Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a few models on ebay that say they are Chase plastic. Both are Polar lights kits. What is the signifigence of this if any?

Fairly new member of the forum and love it. I am primarily a figure modeler.
Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi. A few years ago, before Polar Lights sold out to RC2 and temporarily disappeared, it did "chase" versions of its kits. Not all of them, I don't remember exactly when it started. The way it worked, basically, is that something like 1 in 12 of the kits they manufactured would be in a different color of plastic than the rest of the run. Might have been 1 in 10, I'm sure someone else here remembers for sure.

At first, the "chase" kits were all cast in white plastic. I think the Batcycle was that way, maybe all of the Batman vehicle kits. The chase version of the 16-inch Godzilla was in white plastic. As I recall, people started referring to them as "white lightning" kits.

After a while, though, PL started casting the chase versions in different colors. In fact, I think the chase versions of the kits were usually in a color of plastic that made more sense for the kit while the rest of the run was done in white. The chase version of the Hulk was in green, Spider-Man was red, Captain America was blue. The chase version of the 1/350 Enterprise was a sort of creamy color.

I know someone here has done a great job of documenting all this.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed that these chase kits command prices much if any higher than the regular ones, but I suspect that will change as time goes on and all the kits grow scarcer.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Right you are Todd, I heard it was one in twelve...I've got a Land of the Giants Snake kit that's all white and is a 'chase' kit...:wave:
Mcdee

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all and for the link to the old PL thread. I knew I'd get an exaustive answer from you guys, - Thanks!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Supposedly that had some value. I never found them to be that rare. Half the PL kits I got in my shop to sell were in white plastic compared to the regular kit. I can think of several cars, figures, ships that came commonly in the "rare" white.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
And I could never see what was so attractive about white-plastic kits to make you want to chase them down for your collection - many Airfix kits were molded in white, but nobody wanted to chase them, not then and not now! Glow plastic or metallic plastic for the one in twelve rarities would have been more chase-worthy.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The NX-01 1/350 kit was molded in an off grey while the chase kit was white and the 350 refit was white while the chase kit was light blue. At least the ones I saw any way. Also the 1/1000 scale NX had an oval shaped window on the bottom of the box although that one was never done as a chase kit, not to my knowledge any way. But I could be wrong.
Any body know if PL is doing chase kits now?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I got a blue Captain America when Big Lots got a big infusion of PL kits three or four years ago. Only about $3.50 as I recall. Sold it soon afterward to someone who really wanted the chase color, whereas it didn't matter much to me.

I wish now I'd bought up every Captain America the store had. Hulk and Spidey still aren't worth much, but Cap has become a little more collectible since his alleged death in the comics. I suspect not as many of those were made, too, given that it was the last figure kit PL produced until its recent revival.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ex-Aurora Polar Lights Chase Kits

My "Aurora Model Kits" book by Schiffer has the plastic colors for the Aurora-related Polar Lights kits in its kit compendium. Here's the kits with the primary color first and chase color following. (Let me know if I've got this right, you all.)
Tom

4100 Spider-Man white-red
4101 Hulk white-green
4104 Capt. America white-blue
5099 Seaview black-white
6902 Batcycle blue-white
6905 Batplane blue-white
6906 Batboat blue-white
7512 LOG Snake green-white
7513 LOG Spaceship orange-white

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a Batboat white chase kit, and a Big Godzilla white chase kit, both sealed, but since I plan to build them both the plastic color doesn't matter to me that much as I collect to build rather than as an investment. I sell kits also, but I don't feel that these chase kits will be of any major value over the ordinary kits, well, at least not for 30 or 40 years anyway, but who knows.
To me, it's just another kit to build, that is if I can ever find the time. :p

Kitz' :wave:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I preferred the white ones. I painted my Spindrift white so the orange paint would come out right since painting over the kit plastic would make it too dark.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts