Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The letters to Aurora thread got me speculating about what an Aurora Jupiter 2 kit would have been like, if the Aurora guys had liked the Jupiter 2.

I think it would have been 8"-10" in diameter, molded in silver grey, with only upper level interior detail. And, no landing gear. But, some pretty cool box art, and a display accessory, in the form of a crashsite-style hatch ramp, with the Lost in Space logo on it. $1.00, at your local hobby shop. Also available as a cereal premium, for two box tops, and $.50.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Probably more than $1.00 if interior details would have been added.Most likely the same price as the Spindrift or Moonbus.This kit would have deserved great detailing and Aurora would probably have aimed that way.I can't understand why Aurora never released it,judging by the popularity of that show and the reruns.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I think they would have gone with the option of building the model with retracted or extended landing legs. Working retractable gear would probably have been too complicated for a small-scale kit. And it would have had a single-level interior — Polar Lights shouldn't have tried to squeeze the lower-level living quarters into their 12" Jupiter 2, IMO. That space could only be used by midgets!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xsavoie said:
...This kit would have deserved great detailing and Aurora would probably have aimed that way...
I figure the level of interior detail would be consistent with their flying sub and Spindrift models.

xsavoie said:
...I can't understand why Aurora never released it,judging by the popularity of that show and the reruns.
That one's easy: the Aurora guy(s) didn't like the Jupiter 2.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scotpens said:
I think they would have gone with the option of building the model with retracted or extended landing legs...
Why I guessed Aurora would have left off the landing gear completely, is because they did not offer alternate parts on their other Irwin Allen kits. For instance, they could have made the Seaview with parts for either nose style.
scotpens said:
...Polar Lights shouldn't have tried to squeeze the lower-level living quarters into their 12" Jupiter 2, IMO...
No argument, here! I hate the fattened PL lower hull, and there's just no way to fix the kit part. Also, I would certainly have preferred retractable landing gear. Minimally, all it would take, is to provide hinges for the gear legs.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robert Hargrave said:
No way to fix it, but a good looking lower level can be built that stands out and equals the upper level...
You did a great job, Robert! :thumbsup:

Parenthetically, I can easily build a lower hull, using my conic-section cardstock techniques.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I see it on an alien landscape base, with a stand that looked like the landing legs. A tiny robot is included.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
terryr said:
I see it on an alien landscape base, with a stand that looked like the landing legs. A tiny robot is included.
That's a really good idea, but did Aurora make any display bases that big?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
xsavoie said:
I can't understand why Aurora never released it,judging by the popularity of that show and the reruns.
Just a guess, but they may have pegged The Invaders as their one shot at a "flying saucer". To the average 10 year-old modeler on an allowance, one flying saucer looked pretty much like the other.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zorro said:
Just a guess, but they may have pegged The Invaders as their one shot at a "flying saucer". To the average 10 year-old modeler on an allowance, one flying saucer looked pretty much like the other.
Aurora really missed out, as did model-building fans, because of their "saucer" thinking.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
That's 'circular thinking' at its worst.
The J2 did lots of stuff on screen. The Invader ship landed and took off. Nice choice, Aurora management.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
IIRC, Aurora did in fact seriously consider a Jupiter 2 kit but in the end, their marketing people came to the conclusion that the design was too simplistic to be very popular.

If Aurora had issued a J2 kit, I think it would've been over simplified to the point that it only vaguely might've resembled the ship we saw on TV every week (as great as the PL model was, we all remember those "parkbench" seats...a limitation of current molding technology...imagine that kit with 30 years less tech involved).

If they'd attempted something on the order of the kit Polar brought us, I think it would've left most of us frustrated. How many of us spent more than a year on our Polar kits?

But for the "cool memories" factor, yeah, I wish they'd done it!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Flyingfrets is right in pointing out if Aurora did the J2 it would have been real simple. Does anybody remember the Mattel Switch and Go "Lost in Space" set, It had a out of scale Chariot that ran on a plastic tube track and fired missles and the J2 was a two piece saucer shaped piece of styrofoam with a rudimentary interior with plastic figures representing the Robinson Family and Robot. It is possible Aurora would have done something similar to this maybe a bit better than what Mattel did.

AZbuilder
John

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
AZbuilder said:
Does anybody remember the Mattel Switch and Go "Lost in Space" set, It had a out of scale Chariot that ran on a plastic tube track and fired missles and the J2 was a two piece saucer shaped piece of styrofoam with a rudimentary interior with plastic figures representing the Robinson Family and Robot. AZbuilder John
Hey I had one of those as a kid, and I had lots of fun with it, I'd use Lego pieces to make the control panels look more interesting. then one winter day I set it down near a space heater and went outside to play in the snow, came back to a melted glob of foam :( Snif, snif, I think I need a hug...

·
2,690 Posts
flyingfrets said:
If Aurora had issued a J2 kit, I think it would've been over simplified to the point that it only vaguely might've resembled the ship we saw on TV every week (as great as the PL model was, we all remember those "parkbench" seats...a limitation of current molding technology...imagine that kit with 30 years less tech involved).
I disregard your reality and replace it with my own!
Actually, an Aurora J2 might have been just as detailed (or more so) than the PL version. It almost certainly would have had no lower level, but look at the amount of detail in the Flying Sub and Spindrift kits they released. Not that they were particularly accurate, of course - but both had more detailed seats than PL's J2.
AT

·
Registered
633 Posts
but look at the amount of detail in the Flying Sub and Spindrift kits they released.
You are correct that the kits had detail, but the interior was inaccurate such as no fusion core display in the rear cabin of the flying sub as well as a bed, no floor panels, the overall shape of the exterior was off. The interior of the Spindrift was inaccurate as well. I mean only 4 seats instead of 6 in the passanger cabin and the cockpit was incorrect and dont get me started on the passanger cabin hull but over all a good effort on Auroras part on just producing these kits given the tooling of the time we bought and built these kits and thought they were really cool kits and did not really care that they were inaccurate untill we got older and improved our modeling skill and the aftermarket kits started popping up and we are now able to recreate more accurate versions of the kits we built as kids.

AZbuilder
John Davis

1 - 20 of 33 Posts