Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll probably see a lot of empty posts that have been deleted to show "NOTHING," here. On the other hand, I thought I would try a new approach.

1) I liked the chrome cars when a casting was first used. I may be one of the few that did.

2) I liked the Lightning Rods.

3) I liked the Desoto police car. One of my all time favorites of the JL police cars.

4) I liked the police Monacos in the Dukes series because they had a lot of various color schemes.

5) I liked the Tasca Mustang.

6) I liked the Road Trip series.

7) I like the fact that police cars are being used in the current 40th and F64 releases...but, aside from the current Fury, most seem to be B&W rubberstamp designs. Of the current selections, I really liked the Hudson Hornet police, and would like to see more classic police cars.

8) I like the fact the recent releases continue to incorporate BWFs...although I would like to see more castings in this catagory that have not been used previously.

I must say, that in looking at my own list, most of the things done well come under the catagory of past tense. I felt that some of the above series were a sign that LC was making some good strides at the time. However, I now feel like "inconsistancy" has become the house word. Were they attempting so many things that did not last because they were looking for that magic button that sold like hotcakes, then dispensed with these ideas once they didn't sell as well as they would have liked?

I still feel--in spite of all the rumblings concerning plastic bases--that JL still has a valid place among my collecting. But I also feel that it's place has shrank by degrees as the things I've liked have one by one been layed to waste.

I also feel there is more to be said on that subject than "metal bases," which is apparent in almost every thread. And with the metal based line making a reappearance in the not too distant future, I hope that these other things might be addressed as well. A metal based car might be more appealing on the whole to some, but what good will it do (will the metal bases even last) if we do not see more of what we like? And of course, that cannot be said without adding that a lot of people here will no doubt state once again that they can't buy what they do not see in their local stores. If LC does not find a more "consitant" solution to retail, most of these suggestion will become moot points.

In the hopes of establishing some traditions that last, or that some old traditions might return, I have written my list above. People like to visit old friends and find new traits have been added, but it all comes down to reminiscing about old times in the end. Traditions make people feel comfortable.

I have stated my issues, but also given suggestion that might rectify some of them. There's a great big world of diecast out there, but I still see a lot of people congregating on this board when other boards are empty, or have few members viewing them at any given time. I think JL is stuck in a lot of people's throats, in spite of the bitter aftertaste. I think that some people need to get over the fact that the line is not the same one they used to prize. That changed the moment Tom L. dropped the ball.

I also think that LC could do a lot worse than to read between the lines of the complaints, rather than omit certain boards that do not constantly sing their praises. No one is right all the time, but if you only listen to the praise, you'll never grow beyond a certain point of arrogance in life. If that's true of everything else, why shouldn't it apply to diecast, or running a company of any given size?

I think that collectors in general might have a better chance of being heard if they realized that Tom Z. is working under certain constraints as well. It might be helpful to make suggestions that were easier to gratify within those constraints. You can't ask for something that is not within their budget, or not within the company's will to grant. But like those who suggested the Demo car theme, make suggestions that are realistic to helping the cause. Maybe LC has no intentions of changing the line right now, or adding to anyone's budget...but little suggestions that might draw attention might help to change things down the line. A path, as they say, is made by laying one small stone at a time.

Some things to think about on both sides of the fence :wave:

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
The 'Road Trip' series was fun and, well done!

I really liked the mid 60's Lincoln casting.

The Cheeta sucked bad and was a missed opportunity.

I'm on the fence about the metal/plastic base issue. I'd rather see a correct looking casting anyday!

My 2 pennies for now, Craig

·
Banned
98 Posts
I think that some people need to get over the fact that the line is not the same one they used to prize. That changed the moment Tom L. dropped the ball.
As I recall, Tom Lowe did not drop any ball; rather he threw a perfect forward pass to RC2 - handing over a turn-key line that had proven it's success.

Perhaps ask Tom Z about who fumbled the ball.

Stan:dude:

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
LC has ruined a once terrific brand. Aside from a very small handful of cars released shortly after the sell-out (no doubt in line prior to TL's departure), they have not produced much that I would call "must-haves."

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
What happened to the good ol' days of Spoilers, Hot Rod Magazine, Holiday Ornaments, Hollywood on Wheels, Boogie Vans, Stock Car Legends, Street Freaks, and more Zingers?

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
SCOUT
OFFROAD SCOUT
SCOUT WITH TRACTOR TWO PACK
CONVERTIBLE SCOUT

I do miss a box of twelve from street freaks though. And full cards. Id rather have the little cards then the clamshell bulky deals.

Scout would look better next to my jeeps....on full card...

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
-Typhoon casting
-VW convertible casting
-87 Monte Carlo, excelent job!!!
-I enjoyed the Matco Tools Truck
-Im sure there's a few more I cant think of right off

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I recall, Tom Lowe did not drop any ball; rather he threw a perfect forward pass to RC2 - handing over a turn-key line that had proven it's success.

Perhaps ask Tom Z about who fumbled the ball.

Technically, yes, you are right. I suppose my term about dropping the ball refered to the selling of the line. At that point, any new owner would've made changes. But any larger corporation would've absorbed the line and made lots of changes. Would anyone but LC have made the specific changes they did? Not likely. But I've stated numerous times that the rules of LC are a mystery unto themselves.

I don't see the general idea of pointing out the pros, as well as the cons, as being well received by all. And if we were to make a list going casting by casting, the odds would stack up against LC as having more duds than greats since the relaunch.

On the other hand, I'm sure the red tape goes beyond Mr. Z. I don't know Tom Z., nor have I read enough of his posts to get a fix on him. Does he genuinely care about the work he does? Is he even allowed to do his best within the confines of whatever budget he's given? I don't know the answer to these questions. I do know most larger corporations have come down on their employees with certain decrees since the economic crunch. And believe me, that's been escalating for longer than a lot of folks realise. But past history also suggests that for LC, those decrees have been policy for past diecast lines. Have they tightened the noose even further?

There are always larger issues at work. And since I can't ask Tom Z. in person...even if he were allowed to answer...the best tact I can think of is let them know what might be done under current conditions. I don't know if it'll help. But if we see our simple suggestions being implemented, we'll know something we don't know now. And if everything gets ignored, we'll know something else, won't we?

It's a two way street. But if we hate everything, won't that just continue to sew confusion that will result in more ideas being tossed than are held onto? Also, if we hate everything they do...what are we all still doing here? Shouldn't we be over on one of the other boards that are getting it right? Actually, the "fuss" of the situation holds a certain appeal to some. It gives us something to gripe about, to let off steam over. But if that's all that's holding the focus on JL, then it really is a doomed line.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SCOUT
OFFROAD SCOUT
SCOUT WITH TRACTOR TWO PACK
CONVERTIBLE SCOUT

I do miss a box of twelve from street freaks though. And full cards. Id rather have the little cards then the clamshell bulky deals.

Scout would look better next to my jeeps....on full card...
The Scout was a good one. As was the Monte Carlo. I would add them both to my list of castings that were well done. And what about the General Lee with the roll bar?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
66 cadillac hearse
KO-Motion corvette
Baldwin Motion 68 olds 442
Baldwin Motion 71 vega
50 olds super 88
87 monte carlo ss
68 Hurst olds

2 head to Head sets I really-really liked
68 olds 442 vs 71 olds 442
69 sc/rambler vs 69 amc amx

sorry but I need to throw in 2 dislikes
plastic chassis (40th annv & forever 64)
The fact that they discontinued the Holiday Classics

·
Banned
200 Posts
Shouldn't we be over on one of the other boards that are getting it right?
By that, DS, I think you are referring to forums for other brands, such as Greenlight etc., that might be "getting it right", meaning getting the product "right", is that correct?

I'd have to say that the Monte SS in either standard or Aero form was one casting LC/RC2 really nailed, and the potential is there for other colors, factory striping.

·
Banned
98 Posts
By that, DS, I think you are referring to forums for other brands, such as Greenlight etc., that might be "getting it right", meaning getting the product "right", is that correct?

I'd have to say that the Monte SS in either standard or Aero form was one casting LC/RC2 really nailed, and the potential is there for other colors, factory striping.
Thanks Rich for clearing that up.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
What have they got correct?

This one. Right here:

1968 Hurst/Olds.
I needed this one for my Fifty Fastest Musclecars collection.
Now I just need one.......................
Would you please cast a 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 428cj?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes, I was refering to GL, or M2, as cases where realism is more of a standard these days. Plus the metal bases make them more like the JL of old. I still prefer realism and detail in diecast. And the metal based cars remind me of the type of cars I had as a kid. But whether JL brings them back for good or not, doesn't really worry me that much any more. I buy a lot of different diecast these days. If I had to pick a current fetish, it would be my police car collection at the moment, and Tomicas. Also thinking of expanding my international police collection into some oxford diecast. It's a big world out there, Stan, and JL is a very small line these days in the scope of it. But I still buy what attracts me in their line, as I do other with any other brand.

Not to worry, Stan. I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Or anyone for that matter. Just attempting a different approach. Maybe a broader approach. I hope that doesn't offend you, or anyone else here. Not my intention to be the sort of guy that believe LC can do no wrong either. I think I've stated my views, both here and elsewhere pretty clearly.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I'm glad they went back to the simple cardboard blisterpacks. I hated paying for all of that plastic waste.

I'm glad they stopped adding picture cards and all the other extraneous things that used to be included in the packages. The lower price is much better. I never wanted most of that stuff anyway. The only things I liked were the Road Trip items and the extra wheel sets, but I am completely fine without them at the new lower price.

Stick with the simple packaging and keep focusing development costs on the cars themselves.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Yes, but the lower price also came at the expense of the lower quality car as well! Give me the quality replica and keep the packaging the same and I will be happy in the middle.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
I liked the box sets and the diarama sets they were cool and I liked the themes. I also Liked Hollywood on wheels and the Your Car is the Star series. (I have a few signed cars that I love) I also liked that they used to produce Volkswagens and help Fest

1 - 20 of 38 Posts