Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy smokes, I start a thread on Friday, go away for the weekend, come back and the thread is closed. Hankster, I apologize that you had to closed the "Real Rule Change" thread. I was attempting to get a lively discussion going and perhaps even some informative feed back and POOF it all blows up.

Hankster if you will permit me I would like to make one response to a comment in that thread.

Jeffery my friend, I don't understand your position, The way it works now, anybody that signs up in GN is in the A main. How exactly does that prevent wrecks? The ABC format does sort it out quite nicely.

BTW, buying a new body is not required, only a new plate.

To all, I am not advocating this rule change. In fact I didn't even think it up. It was sent to me in an e-mail. I am also not against this proposal. I simply wanted to get people to think about it. I understand that this is a open forum and anybody can post anything, members, non-members, racers, non-racers, anybody. But until QSAC can afford multiple mailings or develop a registered, members only forum this is our only viable method of effective mass 2-way communication. Perhaps it is impossible to have an open and friendly discussion. It is sometimes hard to determine what is friendly ribbing and jesting and what is abusive. I sympathize with Hankster's position. I do see that a number of threads have been closed here recently. So with Hankster's permission I'd like to try this again.

What do you think about one stock car class with a 9.5mm plate, Super Tracks with a 8.5mm plate and Sprint Cars with a 10.5mm plate?

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Plates?

The only change plate change I'm in favor of is a smaller plate for Limited Sportsmen.
There seems to be a simple line of progression from Sportsment to Grand National / Trucks and then on to Sprinters.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
sounds fine to me. i say give it a try. can't be any worse then what we have now.
too many classes, and not enough cars.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I’m for it and here’s why:

As it stands now some Sportsman racers say they won’t move up to GN because the current GN speeds produce harder wall impacts, WAY more wear & tear on tires and car (budget). There are also some current Sportsman racers saying they want to move up to GN, but don’t because the power that a 10.5 plate produces is too much for their “set up” ability. I feel a 9.5 plate would be middle of the road ~ so to speak. It will offer very similar speeds to our current GN cars, but with less “Punch” thus making it easier to handle and “hook up” to the track.

Convert the Super Truck class to the current QSAC Sportsman rules (Except body). 30 lbs, Air cup, 8.5 plate, stock clutch shoes & spring. Trucks are not supposed to be as fast as GN cars! Just like real Nascar; Trucks are slower than Nascar “Cup” cars - with less power. Use this class as a stepping stone to GN.

*** Even if the one car class doesn’t fly, I still think Trucks should use the 8.5 plate / sportsman package b/c Trucks should be slower than car(s).

Create a new NCS Class (And weekly): Call it Novice, Limited Sportsman, Charger, or Whatever: You can run either a Super Truck body or a Car (GN) body. Follow our current Sportsman rules - 30 lbs, Air cup, 8.5 plate, stock clutch shoes & spring. Once a racer becomes dominate weekly (lap times + wins) they must move out of this class. Also, you can only compete in this class (NCS) for one year no matter how many NCS races you attend in that year.

Leave Sprint w/10.5 plate (Same as now).

I’m sure plenty will disagree with this, but looking at the big picture I feel these changes will help ¼ racing grow.

Larger Classes draw more racers. This is my opinion only.

·
Having fun is #1
1,978 Posts
I oppose this rule change. I feel the same as the guys below.
Holy smokes, I start a thread on Friday, go away for the weekend, come back and the thread is closed. Hankster, I apologize that you had to closed the "Real Rule Change" thread. I was attempting to get a lively discussion going and perhaps even some informative feed back and POOF it all blows up.

Hankster if you will permit me I would like to make one response to a comment in that thread.

Jeffery my friend, I don't understand your position, The way it works now, anybody that signs up in GN is in the A main. How exactly does that prevent wrecks? The ABC format does sort it out quite nicely.

BTW, buying a new body is not required, only a new plate.

To all, I am not advocating this rule change. In fact I didn't even think it up. It was sent to me in an e-mail. I am also not against this proposal. I simply wanted to get people to think about it. I understand that this is a open forum and anybody can post anything, members, non-members, racers, non-racers, anybody. But until QSAC can afford multiple mailings or develop a registered, members only forum this is our only viable method of effective mass 2-way communication. Perhaps it is impossible to have an open and friendly discussion. It is sometimes hard to determine what is friendly ribbing and jesting and what is abusive. I sympathize with Hankster's position. I do see that a number of threads have been closed here recently. So with Hankster's permission I'd like to try this again.

What do you think about one stock car class with a 9.5mm plate, Super Tracks with a 8.5mm plate and Sprint Cars with a 10.5mm plate?
I agree with you David. I don't like change.
I'm opposed. Keep it like it is.

David
John, don't ever say never. LOL
sounds fine to me. i say give it a try. can't be any worse then what we have now.
too many classes, and not enough cars.
Paul, I agree 100%. Leave it along and if the GN guys want to go fast. Run the Super Truck class. LOL
Time are going to be tough next year with the economy the way it is and we don't need any added expense.:thumbsup:
Brent. Why try to have more division?

Trucks 10.5 plate
Sportsman 8.5 plate
Sprinters 10.5 plate

1st year with some stability on all classes

With that said we have at local track. made a limited Sportsman class which has well exceeded expectations. Do not throw a new person to the Wolfs of experienced classes. and expect them to hang in there. some folks are not gifted as others, and also the Pocket book. Do not think all people want to just bust there tail for the fastest lap, But for going to. HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gentlemen this is not Nascar with mega buck pocket books. Keep it real, and in-line with what folks can afford.

That old saying speed costs, what ya willing to spend. The Sky is the limit. Not for me.
My . 0000000000000000000001 worth= not much.

·
Having fun is #1
1,978 Posts
You will have to get something that will turn in the center before that will happen.LOL Its not the plate. They are down grading the truck class and I have just got a group of guys building trucks. That sucks.:confused:
jeff you just scared i would beat you in 8.5 truck LOL

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
You will have to get something that will turn in the center before that will happen.LOL Its not the plate. They are down grading the truck class and I have just got a group of guys biulding trucks. That sucks.:confused:
How is a 8.5 plate "down grading"???

·
Having fun is #1
1,978 Posts
Scott buddy, I love you and all but. I think it should be left alone. I'm just a pickup man and I like running fast. If the GN guys can't out run a truck maybe they don't need to be running GN.LOL:lol: Just playing guys. But really it would be great to run both bodies as a sportsman class, but everyone need a class to move into. I have never had anyone come to me in all the years of racing form gocarts to super latemodels and say we need to slow down. I think having a good handling car means more than the 10.5, 9.5, or 8.5 plate. If the cars are right for the plate it will handle it. If someone needs setup help just ask. That is whats wrong with alot of this. A lot of people won't help and the some of the ones that do don't know their self. I'm not saying I know everything but I can help most people out of a jam.:thumbsup:

Spotsman 8.5 plate car or truck body.
Super Truck 10.5 Truck body only
Grand National 10.5 car Body only
Sprint Cars Open carb. No plate.

I think I'm going to have to run for Co-chair to keep you monkies from screwing this up LOL

As it stands now some Sportsman racers say they won’t move up to GN because the current GN speeds produce harder wall impacts, WAY more wear & tear on tires and car (budget). There are also some current Sportsman racers saying they want to move up to GN, but don’t because the power that a 10.5 plate produces is too much for their “set up” ability. I feel a 9.5 plate would be middle of the road ~ so to speak. It will offer very similar speeds to our current GN cars, but with less “Punch” thus making it easier to handle and “hook up” to the track.

Convert the Super Truck class to the current QSAC Sportsman rules (Except body). 30 lbs, Air cup, 8.5 plate, stock clutch shoes & spring. Trucks are not supposed to be as fast as GN cars! Just like real Nascar; Trucks are slower than Nascar “Cup” cars - with less power. Use this class as a stepping stone to GN.

*** Even if the one car class doesn’t fly, I still think Trucks should use the 8.5 plate / sportsman package b/c Trucks should be slower than car(s).

Create a new NCS Class (And weekly): Call it Novice, Limited Sportsman, Charger, or Whatever: You can run either a Super Truck body or a Car (GN) body. Follow our current Sportsman rules - 30 lbs, Air cup, 8.5 plate, stock clutch shoes & spring. Once a racer becomes dominate weekly (lap times + wins) they must move out of this class. Also, you can only compete in this class (NCS) for one year no matter how many NCS races you attend in that year.

I’m sure plenty will disagree with this, but looking at the big picture I feel these changes will help ¼ racing grow.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have nothing against a Novice class, in fact I think it's a good idea, but what is wrong with winning the "B" or "C" Main? The first "big" race I attended, many, many moons ago, was the Winternats in Ft. Myers FL. There were no "bumps" and I managed to qualify in the "H" Main. That's right the "H" Main. I knew I was running with guys of similar abilities, which is to say almost none but it was an extremely spectacular race and I raced just as hard as if I was running the "A". A number of years later I ran at an IFMAR Worlds event. They run a Christmas Tree ladder system with bump ups. The most spectacular race was one of the 1/64 mains. The announcer was literary jumping out of his seat, screaming in the microphone over the action taking place on the track. The "A" main was a bore compared to that race.

So is the problem with our qualifying system? Does it not sort out enough? Or is there a stigma attached to winning the "B","C", "D" Mains?

·
Having fun is #1
1,978 Posts
I'm running Super truck and sprint. I have the need for speed. I like the truck body. I'm just a pickup man.:thumbsup: Right now I have about 4 truck coming to NCS races with me.:woohoo:

Let me ask you this. What classes are you running in 2009? Weekly, NCS and why?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts