Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I could walk into that store and buy a 1/350 NX-01 Enterprise. I never saw the 1/350 NCC-1701 Enterprise, tho I read some did get them from that chain.
Has anyone ever seen the reissued 1/350 NCC-1701 Enterprise there? They carry large U-boat, plane, and car models still, but for the past 3-ish years no large Trek models.
It's also a bummer since they frequently have 40 or 50% off coupons for any 1 store item. I have two of these stores in my town, and the model aisle seems to be getting smaller every year. And their website doesn't list any models.
There's one Hobby Town, and their Big E is $80.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't seen Trek models of any size at my Hobby Lobby in years. And yes, their model aisle, in general, has gotten smaller. I've noticed the same at Michaels, as well. Even my locally-owned hobby shop stopped carrying Trek a few years ago...won't even special order them. I've had to get all of my recent Trek model purchases online, including the 1/350 refit kit I bought 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
heck, I am still waiting for them to get some esoteric Revell (Monogram) kits that have been repopped over the last 2 years!

Max Bryant

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
The one in my area carries the smaller Trek kits and some imports (Aoshima (?) Mad Max & Revell Star Wars, TOS BSG), Not a great selection, but with the weekly 40% off Coupon it works for me. My LHS carries the entire Moebius line and some GKs, so I cannot complain.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
nearest hobby lobby is 2 miles away, across the street from Hobby Town USA (former 12 theater cineplex). Who'da thunk Kennesaw was modeller's mecca? Don't go to hobby lobby that often. That store caters to them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
nearest hobby lobby is 2 miles away, across the street from Hobby Town USA (former 12 theater cineplex). Who'da thunk Kennesaw was modeller's mecca?
And there used to be that hobby store just on the other side of 75 (in an old Pizza Hut, I think). Can't remember it's name, but I believe it's long gone.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Back in the day, I got my Polar lights Jupiter II at Hobby Lobby. I don't even go in there anymore, unless I'm buying a dry flower arrangement for the wife......

·
Registered
286 Posts
They're good for some supplies, but I don't buy kits there. Lots of cars, armor, planes, and ships but precious little in the sci fi category. The sci fi kits they do carry that I might be interested in can frequently be had for cheaper online. It's too bad since right now they have all their kits 30% off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
BOTH my hobby lobby's are for C**P if you are a sci-fi modeler. The only things they have are ''Snap-Tite'' star wars ships in those ''Zip-Lock'' type bags & Two or three 1:1000 Trek kits at any given time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Now that I think about it there was a time when I was kid when I could run into the model kit department of any hobby store and there would be TONS of Star Wars, Star Trek, Aliens model kits and on and on, but today? Not a chance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was at Hobby lobby 2 days ago with a 40% off coupon looking for the new moebius J2,or the latest revell/monogram repops.Years ago they had all the polar lights kits and other neat stuff,and a larger selection of kits. Today they have nothing close to that. They were asking $100.00 for a 1/350 scale tamiya ship that can be purchased online for half that. Even with 30% off the prices they are asking is not justified, true good on supplies but for those of us that want something eclectic stay with online outlets. We grew up building models guys,we did not have cell phones and video games and twitter.....model building today is for us kids who refuse to grow up.And due to the lack of the younger in the hobby, sales are slow so we pay dearly for our hobby.
Hobby lobby is not the same.Even my local wal mart phased out the small model section

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
our's here shrunk there model section down to almost nothing then for some reason it got huge again, I see a few PL kits, not sure if there gonna carry Moebius kits or not.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It may not all be Hobby Lobby's fault. If you remember there was a period just a few short years ago when AMT/MPC/Polar Lights were more or less out of production. It's only been in the last year or so that has apparently stabilized and products from Round 2 have slowly been making their way to Hobby Lobby. They may just be a more cautious in picking up the products again than your LHS, at least as far as Round 2 products go. Moebius is a new company and again they may be overly cautious. Your LHS is going to be more responsive.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts