Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking over the 249 piece rotary tool attachment kit I bought the other day, comparing it to what was listed on the Dremel site. Dremel does a decent job of telling you on their website what each attachment is used for, etc.

All this is new to me, so I thought I'd ask the pro's what attachments they use the most, to do which jobs. Hopefully other newb's will learn from this as well. if you can show a pic of the item or a link to it on the dremel site, that would be cool! Here is the link to the Dremel site, and below that is the link to the Harbor Freight kit I bought:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachm....aspx?catid=8&catname=Rotary+Tool+Accessories

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93243

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Good question

I use the cut-off wheel all the time along with this nastly little bugger that chows through diecast like a wood chipper. Love it.

Also various grinding stones are a must as well.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Yup! Them's the ones.
Good for radiusing wheel wells...just about any kind of diecast debauchery you wanna mention.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My personal favs are the tungsten carbide grinding bits, by far. But as an aside, for anyone thinking about getting a rotary tool, dremel or otherwise, get one with a chuck, forget the collet nonsense. It will save you so much time and hassle.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
For the price, that's pretty good that they are offering. I use mainly just the cutting discs and some of those grinding deals that Dave mentioned. Also have a set of Dremel drill bits as well which come in handy.

The buffing items i've never really used. The sanding attachments to me are useless, cause I use elbow grease and grit along with real sandpaper to clean up castings. :tongue: The times i did use those, they went pretty quick.

For someone just starting out, I'd say it's a decent deal but don't be too surprised if you don't use 1/3 of the items included on a daily basis for customs.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I use this for the easy jobs

....................JK...................

I do use these though for small detail work

30 pc Jewelry Drill Bits... eBay $5.50

·
Registered
198 Posts
My personal favs are the tungsten carbide grinding bits, by far. But as an aside, for anyone thinking about getting a rotary tool, dremel or otherwise, get one with a chuck, forget the collet nonsense. It will save you so much time and hassle.
I'll second that......a chuck is so much quicker :)
I also use burrs, stones, cutting wheels and rasps. I like the jewelers drill bit idea.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I use the cut-off wheel for tops - making convertibles from hardtops; I use the collet for grinding away, such as to remove wheels/axles from metal base - I grind the "hold-down' lip away thus being able to lift the axle/wheel assembly from the base.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use the cut-off wheel for tops - making convertibles from hardtops; I use the collet for grinding away, such as to remove wheels/axles from metal base - I grind the "hold-down' lip away thus being able to lift the axle/wheel assembly from the base.
How would you secure the wheel assembly back in place after grinding it away....glue, JB some other method perhaps?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for that......in fact that is how I did the wheel swap on my Mustang II, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't I hadn't thought of :)

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Tungsten carbide bit as MrJuice called it...that's what this is. I couldn't think of the name.
These are great. They make axle removal a snap!
A ball tip for axle removal? No kiddin... I need to try that. I cant seem to remove an axle without chewing it up. My favorite has been the small pointed ones. (Picture not inclued, but you know). A quick tip for us old hippies with long hair. Tie it back! That little dremel can climb hair real fast if it gets wrapped! I really dont want to go into that, but safety first. Dont forget the safety glasses!

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it looks like most of you guys use the cutting wheels and the "grinders", but to do what? Some said they remove the tabs that hold the axles in place, but what would you do with the grinders that gouge out the metal? Lummox mentioned radiusing fender wells, what else would you remove metal from?

I think I'm going to gather up a bunch of "junkers" and try each type of attachment on them to see what they each do to the cars. "Hands on" approach.

Can't wait to get started! Right now, I've got a bunch of empty boxes that held the Christmas decorations we put out. Once the decorations come down (Sun.) I'll put the boxes away and I'll have my newly cleaned workbenches accessible again, and can get started!

I have an idea on what I want to do, shared it with a friend of mine. As I said, I want to try my hand at as many things as I can, starting with the simpler things and progressing to the harder ones as I get experience. But rather than try each thing out on a different casting, I want to do each modifaction to the same car, and photograph every change I make as I go. Start with a nice casting that will lend itself to modifications, starting with a simple tampo removal, then a wheel swap, maybe a Zinger chassis, a total repaint, some detailing, some body mods, who knows what it will end up looking like! Already have a nice idea of the repaint I'd like to do down the road, but for now I ain't tellin'!

Thanks for all your advice here, you're a very supportive bunch of guys! I'd like to show other "wannabe's" that if I can do it, so can they!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts