Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I made this threat because i want to know what do you think about them.

The new modification like the glowing warp-engiens on the Miranda-class and

the Excelsior-class brings new life to this old ships and they look in a fleet better

than ever before but they also do some errors like the Nebula-class (more windows like a galaxy-saurcer)

So tell us what do you think.

And the most important qustion is are the CGI models cannon or not?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I think... almost sadly, that the CGI delivers a much better image to the screen... but I miss the prospect of seeing the model... the thing that was on screen... that tangible momento and the craftsmanship that went into it... and I am, by trade, a CGI artist... but also a lifelong model enthisiast.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Bridger said:
And the most important qustion is are the CGI models cannon or not?
For the most part, I agree w/you about them looking better. I also say that they're definitely canon. If you need an "in universe" logic behind it, just say that they gave those ships new warp nacelles that had the constant glow 'cause they were more powerful... and stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I figured 80 years was plenty of time for some updates to the warp systems on the Excelsior and Miranda -class ships...

I wish we'd seen some Constellation-class ships in DS9.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they are great but when they use them the first time in DS9 they made a

big error with the defiant and it is also very difficult to make a scene with a

model i tink they need 5 layers for one shot in Enterprise they have done it very

well because they start with CGI models

Attachments

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I like CGI FX, but models, always look better. Like the TOS new FXs, the old model shots look better. Now I mean the model shots that are done right. The TOS ships in DS9's Tribble episode, are models, and they still look better, than the new CGI on TOS.

It will be good to see how the CGI on TOS, compare to the models DS9 episode, when Trouble with Tribbles air!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
spe130 said:
I figured 80 years was plenty of time for some updates to the warp systems on the Excelsior and Miranda -class ships...
And the reason they might have kept the same style for the nacelles dealt w/aesthetics. Maybe some different style nacelles didn't "balance" the designs all that well.
I wish we'd seen some Constellation-class ships in DS9.
We did. Or at least, I think we did. I know that Constellation herself was mentioned in the episode where they find the baby Jem'Hadar, as well as the USS Magellan in "Sacrifice of Angels".

Or did you mean Constitution-class, as in The Refit?

·
Starship Class
11,670 Posts
Griffworks said:
And the reason they might have kept the same style for the nacelles dealt w/aesthetics. Maybe some different style nacelles didn't balance" the designs all that well.
I always figured the housing was mainly for the projection of the warp field. The "engine" parts are all roughly cylindrical so the housing shape doesn't really matter a whole lot in terms of the engine. The projection of the warpfield for the overall shape of the ship would require a certain design of nacelle and would be, IMHO, the final arbiter of the nacelle design.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Griffworks said:
And the reason they might have kept the same style for the nacelles dealt w/aesthetics. Maybe some different style nacelles didn't "balance" the designs all that well.

We did. Or at least, I think we did. I know that Constellation herself was mentioned in the episode where they find the baby Jem'Hadar, as well as the USS Magellan in "Sacrifice of Angels".

Or did you mean Constitution-class, as in The Refit?
I think the Constellation-class (think Stargazer) was mentioned once or twice, but I don't think one was shown. Just lots of Mirandas and Excelsiors.

The lack of Constitution-refits in TNG and DS9 (except for the wrecked secondary hull at Wolf 359) is an entirely different issue. If those other classes were still in service after all that time, it would seem to make sense that the Constitutions would be, too.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
spe130 said:
I think the Constellation-class (think Stargazer) was mentioned once or twice, but I don't think one was shown. Just lots of Mirandas and Excelsiors.
My memory is admittedly fuzzy where a lot of those episodes are concerned. I coulda swore that we actually saw Magellan, tho. You're prolly right, tho, as it's been quite a while since I last sat down and watched DS9 regularly. Need to get the DVD sets....
The lack of Constitution-refits in TNG and DS9 (except for the wrecked secondary hull at Wolf 359) is an entirely different issue. If those other classes were still in service after all that time, it would seem to make sense that the Constitutions would be, too.
Yeah, I rather hate that they never really showed us any Refit's in TNG thru VOY. I also find it highly insulting the supposed reasoning behind it from TIIC (The Idiots In Charge) - they didn't want to confuse the public with the "brand name recognition", as well as thought it might detract from TNG's E-D. Yee-uh! As if!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whene i will build Federation ships i am sure that i will aslo build the new CGI

version but they will base on the old studio models so they will be so cannon as

possible

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
Lloyd Collins said:
I like CGI FX, but models, always look better. Like the TOS new FXs, the old model shots look better.

No, they don't "always" look better. That's an absolute that I just can't live with. There is good CGI and bad CGI just like there are good physical models and bad physical models. You can't make a generalization against one for the other without being seen as biased. T

ruth is there is a lot of fantastic CGI out there, a lot more than any of you guys would believe. Unfortauntely there is a lot of bad CGI as well and the new TOS remake is definitely in that group.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
^ Says the guy who works with CGI! :)

I definitely agree, tho. Regardless. Good and bad are all out there. A good example of both is the stuff seen on Babylon5. Some of it was good, some was bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts