Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting lately and haven't found anything that doesn't work fairly well. I've been using distilled water and a touch of acrylic retarder.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Windex? Some pre-packaged thinner?

I'd be curious to hear what other people are using.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use the Model Master Acryl Thinner. You should be able to find it where you purchased the Acryl paints. I use it on almost every brand of acrylic paint I use.

Paul

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I use water or Testors thinner. Isopropyl alcohol may work. It thins some acrylic paints like Tamiya. Im not a huge fan of the Testors stuff and rarely use it.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
try alcohol.....
seconded. And it's like 99¢

I'm the exact opposite, djn. I prefer the Testors' Acryl over Tamiya for brushing. Tamiya tends to clump when brushing while the Acryl is very smooth.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I dont brush paint with Tamiya much... although with some practice you can do it. But for airbrush work its great... and I think it with lacquer thinner.

I just dont like the Testors Acryl for anything... its thin, translucent and doesnt cover very well IMHO. Their metallics are also really bad.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
so too, Acryl needs practice as well. Multiple brushed-on coats and you can get a very smooth, very even finish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts