Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
In 1972, when I was in high school, I had about 2 dozen 1:48 scale WWII aircraft hanging from my ceiling. My older brother came back from Vietnam...and one day, he calmly lay down on my bed, took my BB gun, and put pellets through every one of the models!

I guess this was my first exposure to Zen Buddhism: attachments lead to suffering.

Having said that, I have a dresser top in the bedroom that's going to be cleared off as he place of honor for my 1:350 Enterprise when it's complete!!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Prolly just to be mean!

Been giving the thought to hanging my models. DOn't think I'm going to go that route, tho. My houses H/VAC doesn't really spread out and cool ever room all that well, specifically my lil' hobby room, which is an 8' by 9' bedroom. It gets pretty warm in here when I have the overhead light on, so I run a fan in here pretty much the entire time I'm working on something, surfin' DaNet, reading or whatever. As such, most of my models would end up swingin' around, likely bumpin' in to other models - doubly so w/any 1/2500 scale models I might decide to hang. That means the hanging models route is a No Go for me.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
When I was younger.... :cry: ...sorry. I always had models hung from the ceiling. I used sewing thread, and stapled them up. Now I can't climb a ladder. :(

Of course my brother was a terror, he would break my models. One model I was proud of, was a paper model I made of the Galileo 7, out of Pall Mall cartons. This was before AMT came with the model. He just crushed it up for me. Then I attacked his military models. :freak:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well I have ad two methods: I took the models I built and had extras of (to build again later) and sent the finished ones to a friend of mine in Chicago that doesn't build, it did two things, it cleared a lot of shelf space (initally) and motivated me to build those "extras" that I was going to build "better" one day in the future. I also bought a house with very high celings and built a series of shelves extending up around 8' which still displays larger items well.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
This is why I went with 1/64th'ish scale when I started build die-cast. The 1/48th scale AC took up way too much space. But I needed that scale to use to draw my WWII aviation art. This was before computers in every home. Even now I'm cramped for display room. So I took a lesson from the big cities. I built up. But my old house has 13' ceilings.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I know you were jokin', but this is what I've actually done in the past to get rid of some stuff. I went thru all my kits, realized I wouldn't be able to ever build even 1/3 of what I had so decided to prioritize by genre, first, then scale. I kept everything 1/2500 for Trek, for instance, then got rid of all but a few 1/1400 Trek, most of my backstock of 1/537 scale Trek and anything that wasn't SciFi related. I first offered it up on Starship Modeler's Trading Post as well as here in the similarly titled section (the name of which escapes me as I don't peek in there anymore).

A few folks who had done right by me in the past inquired about one or two kits, so I either gave them what they were asking for or told 'em to cover shipping costs - for the majority of that which I gave away, it was simply a Karma Bomb in which the other dude/tte didn't have to pay a dime. Most of the kits (that which I didn't just give away) went for 75% of their MSRP. Whatever was left over went on eVilBay. I made some extra fundage to buy some bits-n-pieces/parts, some decals and a couple of newer kits in the chosen scales, but the biggest thing for me was cleaning up my storage area, as well as some of my shelf space.

I need to go thru again, tho, methinks... I still have a lot of unfinished models and some of them I'll prolly never finish. I hate to throw stuff away that I know somebody else might like one day, so might be offering some of them up before too much longer....
Ya need my current address? 😁

·
Registered
19 Posts
Displaying models at home is essentially operating your own mini museum. Museums have been dealing with this problem for centuries and this is how they do it-- rotating the collection. Most museums possess much more the they have space for display. They simply warehouse much of the collection and rotate up portions of it for a few months at a time. You can do the same at home. Store some of your models while displaying the rest. Every few months rotate some out from storage and store those you had out before. One advantage is you never get tired of looking at the same models all the time, too.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,181 Posts
At last count I think I had about 350 models on display. There's no wall space left at all in my home office. I've used as much shelf space as I dare in the living room. I THINK I have room to squeeze a few 1/48 planes in the cabinets, but I'm not sure. After that, god knows what I'll do.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Holy Moley, John, that's a lot! Maybe it's time to thin the herd, or at least box some up?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I can't imagine packing any away - they're all my babies! :D
I agree! The only time something comes off display is when it gets damaged, and thats not often.

I recently had to take 2 shelves of books out of the bookcase to make space for some built kits. That will work for a while, but not forever.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts