Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As much as I hate to admit it, my wife could be right. I don't have anywhere near the room I'd need to display half the models I've bought. So far I've got about 46 built, and room for maybe ten to twenty more, if they are small kits. I have no idea where I'd put a 1/350 refit Enterprise, were I to build one now (I own three). I guess I could sell more of those books I have that are taking up valuable shelf space, though I've already gotten rid of a ton of them.

Man, when I was a grad student I was pretty dumb. I bought a ton of books thinking "I might need that some day." Yeah right. Course, I kind of do that with kits, now! Maybe I should stop buying kits.... Or not.

So what have you done when the display space started to disappear?

Brad.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Well when I first started collecting Star Trek models, figures, etc... I diplayed them in a hutch my wife got me for my birthday. Then it happened. My collection started getting bigger and bigger. I had to store most of the stuff that I have in boxes. That kinda bummed :( me out because, I wanted to display them. So my collection stayed in boxes for a while , finally we got our own house. It even had a DETACHED garage. The next thing I did was "wall off'' a third of my garage and devoted it to my collection. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JGG1701 said:
:wave: If ya got any Star Trek stuff......................
I still have plenty of space.
Quite a bit, actually. But not nearly as much as people on this board, like, oh, John P.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, if you have a local hobby shop that you frequent, you might consider talking to the owner/manager and seeing if they would be willing to display a few in their store. Not only would you be getting them out of the way, but it would be a chance to show off your handy work, too. It is better than paking them away in boxes, anyway.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Used to be when I ran out of space the less likable kits when back into the bin as bash fodder.

Now....I haven't ran out of space yet.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Get those shelving units with the ventilated shelves - you can make use of every dimension of each shelf. You can display models on surface of the shelf, hang models from holes in the shelf above it, and use monofilament line to hang models from the front and sides of it. Works sort of like the Ultarama Shelving/display system for displaying action figures.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thats a probelm I have right now...guess thats also a reason why I have so little progress on my pL Refit. I am wondering "where can I put the finished kit!" :(

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I'm pretty lucky in that I have quite a bit of display area. However, I still avoid large models (like the PL refit) because the shelves I have just aren't deep enough for large models.

I've been builduing for quite a few years and, yes, the space is pretty much maxed out. To avoid just cramming everything on a shelf, I purge the collection about once a year. Older, less satisfactorily built models are culled for parts or go to that big display gallery in the sky via the garbage can. It's tough but sometimes you have to let go and you know that your older models just don't match up to newer ones built with your ever-improving skills.

Of course, you can always take that old rare kit and re-build it.
Jim

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Rather than giving them all away, I'd try to swap some of them for some "grail" unbuilt kits with guys that have space and money for tons of kits but no time to build.

'Course if you are absolutely insistant on given some away, after seeing your paint jobs on your bust at WF, I could probably find some room on a shelf somewhere.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Many years ago, I called my girlfriend over to the house for one of those very serious heart-to-heart relationship discussions.

Mid way through my speech about the direction of our future, I see a smirk forming on her face.

"You think this is funny!?", I yelled.

"No", she said, "I think it's funny that we are having this conversation with an 8 foot long submarine sitting on the table between us".

Damn models can really spoil the mood.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,181 Posts
Brent Gair said:
"No", she said, "I think it's funny that we are having this conversation with an 8 foot long submarine sitting on the table between us".
Oh, god, the freudian symbolism in that scene is hysterical!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Wherever possible, I cut some models in half and attach them to a wall on a base.

If I were you, I'd sell some of your least favorite items on eBay. That way, you thin down your collection and build up some capital for buying more models!

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
Best Solution:

1) Marry a very understanding and patient woman,

2) Buy a 3-bedroom house,

3) Don't have any kids.

This plan has worked out very well for me so far. :) One whole bedroom dedicated to displaying models, and another devoted to working on them. Chances are I won't be able to use the workroom forever, but that display room is mine, MINE, MINE !!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts