Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my tires and realized I need to do some work, I have about 9 or 10 tires that need to be redone, so that got me to wondering. Do you buy new tires or donuts or recaps when you do your tires? And then how do you do the tires if you rework them yourselves, I took one apart and started to wonder just how to get all the old tire off the rim. Let me know what you all do. PLEASE! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buy new tires it's not worth trying to recap the old ones. Besides if you do them yourself and they go bad you don't have anyone to blame....LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Dizzy,

Re-capping tires is a lot of work. There is no guarantee if you do it yourself that the tire is going to be right. It is cheaper to do yourself, but tough to master. I have watched Todd do his majic & he made it look easy. I attempted it myself and never finished the job. :( Your best bet is to buy the complete tire assembly from BRP.

This is just my opinion.

Tim

·
Registered
778 Posts
NitroWolf said:
Dizzy,

Re-capping tires is a lot of work. There is no guarantee if you do it yourself that the tire is going to be right. It is cheaper to do yourself, but tough to master. I have watched Todd do his majic & he made it look easy. I attempted it myself and never finished the job. :( Your best bet is to buy the complete tire assembly from BRP.

This is just my opinion.

Tim
I agree. I just got a fresh set from BRP through my local hobby store. Fast and exactly what I wanted. I would probably mess up the host and destroy the tire. lol,

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if none of you want to reband your tires please put them in a box and send them to me.

Dave
MPR
1220 Shappert Dr
Machesney Park IL. 61115 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like most guys buy new tires.

Does that mean you reband tires Smoke? Do you do it for others?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yes i do it for others, if the band comes off ok I can do it, some of the RR's were very hard to do last year but the rest of them are ok to do

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Dave the tire guy and weenie cook AKA"ugly shoes" does a great job on tires(not so good as a cook)...

DD

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
dangerousdave said:
Dave the tire guy and weenie cook AKA"ugly shoes" does a great job on tires(not so good as a cook)...

DD
However, I believe there is a smelling of "something burning" whether he is stripping rubber tire bands or cooking in the kitchen!!!

:)

Dave does a good job rebuilding tires; that fact cannot be denied.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Hi Joe, We are getting close to being ready to test and tune with our new car and driver. I just need to paint a body and do the last setup.

Dave D

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats what I was going to ask. What would you charge me Smoke to send you some of my tires and have you work them for me.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
strip band off $5
new band on $5

if everything comes off and there is no problem with host tire, then i can do it but there are time the host is no good when the band commes off

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
How is the weather down south of the BIG CHEESE WALL at MPR, is the temp getting near 50. When it gets close to that 50 degree mark let us nonhard core racers know so we can come out and play. This Sunday is our last carpet race of the winter season. We are looking forward to giving you MPR regulars a leson in FAST!!!...

Dave D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts