Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...I recently did a couple of local collector shows here in Edmonton as a vendor, and was interested in the varied opinions of some of the collectors...some thought the shows were GREAT because of all the cheap deals...some said they found nothing(despite plenty of rarer redlines, white lightnings etc...too high $ maybe?)...when u attend a show, do u want nothing but TH's, cheap WL's and chipped Redlines...or do you want to see the BEST in each category? What is a fair price,by todays World standards? Should a dealer have to price his rarer stuff at less than world market value to sell locally? I was really troubled by the fact that almost everyone that thought the shows were great, bought 10.00 Mcfarlanes(or less), 5.00 TH's, 10.00 WL's etc...as both a collector and dealer, I've always strived to acquire the BEST of what I collect, in the price range I can afford...does the average collector only collect the best of his/her collectible, IF he/she finds it at shelf??? That would probably explain why most local collectors I meet, have 'some' HW TH's...'some' WL's...etc etc...I'm not trying to belittle the collectors that can't afford the rarer cars, but when u go to a show, do you want to see the normal stuff, or the rarer stuff. Shows are getting more expensive to do, and as a dealer it would be nice to see more interest paid to some of the rarer stuff...just concerns me, when I hear some dealers with cool stuff say, they might not do the shows in the future, because of this general trend to spend 100.00 on 10-30 items, as opposed to one item, which could be the hilite of ones collection.Would really be interested in hearing what each of u thinks is a good show...obviously we all like to find that great deal, but if you're a JL WL collector, would u pay for a rare WL?Just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
When I do set up at a local show. If I come home with $500 in my pocket I am happy. I am not a dealer and only sell extras so if I can empty a couple boxes and get some cash I am pleased.

When I attend a show I am happy when I can add a few pieces to my collection. Whether it is a $100 piece or ten items out of the dollar box.

I am not into chase pieces so the only WL's I have I have found in the wild.

Tom Larson
Seattle

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I’ve never been to just a die-cast show but, when I’ve seen venders at other shows and flea markets it seems that most of them (not all) price there stuff way too high. They tend to ask premium prices for stuff that’s not worth it. As an example I’ve seen cars from venders priced at $35 (with dings and bent corners), they say that’s what it “books” for, but I can get the same car on the bay for $10 (with shipping). So most of the time I don’t buy from venders but, I always stop and look. Every now and them I’ll find a good deal. I don’t mind paying a few bucks more for something if it’s right there in my face to where I can look at it but, I wont’ pay 300% more for something when I know I can get it much cheaper somewhere else.

I think good show would have a good mix of everything for all kinds of collectors and have them for sale at a fair price.

On a side note, I barly ever see white lightnings for sale. (wish I did, I'd be more willing to give up some green for them)

·
Registered
310 Posts
hey guys, I'm as average as they come when it comes to collecting only JL thought :p , and i have seen you guys out a couple of times here in E-town. I think in my opinion, you should bring a wider variety of cars, i know that you have some real nice RARE whites that i have never seen that you usually have with you at your shows, but myself, I cant usually afford rare white such as those. I think if you are looking for a answer, perhaps you should bring some of the more common cars that are more affordable to average collectors, im not saying that you should have to lower you prices on such rare pieces but perhaps bring more common cars to the shows. I have to say im guilty of being one of those that tends to buy the "10 dollar whites" but it gives me the feeling of getting something somewhat rare.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We hear y'a 1988redcrx...the only guys offering WL's at an 'affordable' price, are the guys that beat u to them at Wal-mart(with the newest releases)...nothing wrong with that, but no one is giving away a good WL,not even in Flea Markets...I guess what we're trying to say, is it worth our while, or anyone else, to show up with the rare Zingers, Muscle cars , frightning lightning WL's etc...are we saying,those items should only be sold on the 'bay?.... re: jeep4x4:good point-why pay more,when u can get it on the 'bay cheaper...but how do the values go UP(which is my desire as a dealer/invester/collector) if the average collector is only willing to pay a portion of the so called 'book value'...what I'm hearing locally & so far on the replies, is you don't really care whether you get the best for your collection...why collect it then?Seems sometimes, like the dealers are more passionate and willing to part with the $ more so than most...never understood why someone would collect something,without going for the some of the best of what they collect. But I guess we've seen it in other modern areas as well,such as Hot Wheels ,McFarlane and hockey cards, where I've seen guys spend tons on packs, and not buy their favorite players chase card...and 100's of dollars later, they have a monster box full of cards and nothing of real value...we all have met the guy that says he has more Hot Wheels/Johnny Lightning than I do...yet they've never owned a WL/TH etc...hmmm...as the locals here in Edmonton know, this has always puzzled us as dealers.Thanks for the comments,so far.Keith/Gary

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
5859gk said:
We hear y'a 1988redcrx...the only guys offering WL's at an 'affordable' price, are the guys that beat u to them at Wal-mart(with the newest releases)...nothing wrong with that, but no one is giving away a good WL,not even in Flea Markets...I guess what we're trying to say, is it worth our while, or anyone else, to show up with the rare Zingers, Muscle cars , frightning lightning WL's etc...are we saying,those items should only be sold on the 'bay?.... re: jeep4x4:good point-why pay more,when u can get it on the 'bay cheaper...but how do the values go UP(which is my desire as a dealer/invester/collector) if the average collector is only willing to pay a portion of the so called 'book value'...what I'm hearing locally & so far on the replies, is you don't really care whether you get the best for your collection...why collect it then?Seems sometimes, like the dealers are more passionate and willing to part with the $ more so than most...never understood why someone would collect something,without going for the some of the best of what they collect. But I guess we've seen it in other modern areas as well,such as Hot Wheels ,McFarlane and hockey cards, where I've seen guys spend tons on packs, and not buy their favorite players chase card...and 100's of dollars later, they have a monster box full of cards and nothing of real value...we all have met the guy that says he has more Hot Wheels/Johnny Lightning than I do...yet they've never owned a WL/TH etc...hmmm...as the locals here in Edmonton know, this has always puzzled us as dealers.Thanks for the comments,so far.Keith/Gary
People collect what they like, why should it matter if you get something lower end or buy "the best of what you collect"? If the person likes the car, that is what matters.

If you want to get top dollar for your cars, then just put them on E-Bay and sell the cars. I, for one, do not collect chase cars - only regular issues. Any Treasure Hunt, white lightning, or other type of chase vehicle is sold either locally, here on the boards, or most of the time, on E-Bay. Do you think I would have gotten $200.00 for the Regal white lightning I found recently if it was at a show? No way, I would have probably been offered $25.00-30.00. There are other cars, however, that bring $10.00 on E-Bay but would get at least $20.00 at a show. It all depends, but the bottom line is, if you are that worried about value on new cars, just put them on E-Bay and let the secondary market determine what it is worth.

And, lastly, do not take offense - but why do you care so much about what other people collect? It is their business to buy what they like, period. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi fastC6vette...you are absolutely right-collect what you like...but our main point, and I think it's being answered...we ARE dealers,that's why we care what people think,and want, and it sounds like we should step back a bit on what we sell locally, although we will continue to collect the rarest and offer it up to our existing clientelle first, and then I guess, ebay...I do believe if we were to get replies allover North America, most go for quantity over rarity, because it is easier and less costlier to obtain, and can still be a cool collectible...we totally understand, most don't collect for value...but as a dealer, it is what we do...interesting feedback...thank you.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
5859gk said:
Hi fastC6vette...you are absolutely right-collect what you like...but our main point, and I think it's being answered...we ARE dealers,that's why we care what people think,and want, and it sounds like we should step back a bit on what we sell locally, although we will continue to collect the rarest and offer it up to our existing clientelle first, and then I guess,<a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=1606754&mpre=http%3A//www.ebay.com"><a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=1606754&mpre=http%3A//www.ebay.com"> eBay!</a>!</a>...I do believe if we were to get replies allover North America, most go for quantity over rarity, because it is easier and less costlier to obtain, and can still be a cool collectible...we totally understand, most don't collect for value...but as a dealer, it is what we do...interesting feedback...thank you.
I wouldn't call myself a dealer - everything is sold under my business unless sold here on the boards, and I do not sell diecast for a living - it is just an extra way to produce some additional income or spending money. I simply sell what I find upon my travels when running errands, and I never go "hunting" unless there is a store like Big Lots or Dollar Tree getting lots of cars in. As for value, some collect for the fun, others for investment purposes in the future, and also a mixture of both. I look at any type of chase cars I have as an investment, but I could care less what the regular issues I collect are worth - all I have are loose and on display to fully enjoy them.

As of late, JL has not been using any Superbirds or Daytonas in their series, so I have only picked up several cars I liked. The one car I cannot wait to find is the Greenlight 1971 Charger R/T in lime green, but otherwise, nothing too exciting out there right now, in my personal opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
I think that if you are looking to get top dollar for any piece regardless of how rare it is it needs to be placed on the bay. There it will reach the widest audience who also have the deepest pockets. The downside is that you have to pay all of the fess associated with this as well as the hassle of shipping. By bringing it to a local show regardless of how large there will always be limitations on how much money can be spent, how many people view it, and how many people actually want it.
A good day at a show to me is when I find something not yet in my collection that I can afford. I have no problem spending the $$ if it is something that I value. My experiance at some shows is that dealers think their items are worth more than they really are and are unwillingly to work a deal for the actual value. I will not pay crazy prices regardless of how bad I want the item.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the problem I have run into with going to shows is lack of anything I want . I pay $5 to get in to walk around only to be told that they have it at home or are going to sell it on ebay .

I think the last show I went to the only stuff I got was from trading to another guy that was walking around , there was zero vintage star wars and not a single JL mopar to be found WL or regular except the extras I had in my trade box . I did end up picking up some stuff in the trade that I put up on here , but the other 2 cars I got ended up on ebay because I couldn't find any trades for them .

I would like to find stuff I am looking for at ebay or less prices without having to pay the shipping and being able to see what I am getting then and there . I have no problem spending the money if something is in front of me and is reasonably priced or even a little more just so I can have it right then .

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like to find $60-70 cars for $10-15. That would make a good show. The last show I went to I was looking for nicer white lightnings. There were only a couple of people that had the nicer whites. They were asking about 3-4 times what I couldve picked them up elsewhere. Two examples that blew my mind was a 1:24 white impala for $75 and a Poker release 2 T-Bird for $35.
Most times when I buy a car at a show I have to feel like it is a deal that I wont find anywhere else or it would have to be a car that I go there looking for or I am dying to have.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think its really hit and miss. Some shows, you'd have no problem selling the rare and HTF stuff. Other times, it could be a crap shoot and there is no one there really looking for that specific stuff.

I've been on both ends, especially as a redline dealer and collector. I've had some shows where I had no interest in any of my redlines what so ever. Also had shows where I did quite well, mostly from redlines.

Then there is my personal favorite experience: when all the regulars who know me come to the show, looking and asking for redlines, and I decided to leave them at home thinking that no one was coming and there would be no interest, lol.

JL collectors are a unique lot I find. I dont know, but I think there are not to many big spenders for WL's here quite yet. Only the occasional few. And the $1 dollar bonanza really reminded everyone how prices can fluctuate. If I was longtime WL collector, would I pay $100.00 for a car that may show up for $1 at Wal-Mart in the next year? Not until I know whats happening with the hobby for sure.

·
Registered
929 Posts
In my area there seems to be very few WL collectors/buyers and many WL hunters looking to sell. It's also notorious for people only looking for real (unrealistic) bargains. Various Hotwheels do ok at the shows as do regulars of different brands. The same $20 and up chase pieces are at show after show, but the prices never drop. I would never buy a WL from one of the locals, I won't support them.
I don't have the means to buy high end stuff, and no one is looking to trade, so I only buy a few regular Rebel Rods or Mopar Muscle Cars if they're at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I have a hard time defining a good show since I haven't been to one in several years. My recollection is sellers with high end or low end stuff, or both, looking for top dollar on all their items. After all, that's what they are there for, not to give stuff away. This was when demand was strong though.

Now that demand has weakened, sellers need to be a little bit more flexible, but that doesn't give the right to the buyers to make lowball offers and fuss when they are turned down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BRAY-you bring up a point I hear alot...won't buy from locals...I think everyone assumes the locals only beat you to the stuff, and now they want high $...I know in our case, we've been purchasing WL's for years on the secondary market...used to find them no problem 10 years ago, cause everyone was into their HW's...the problem here was not enough stores carried JL...still a problem...the 1.00 Walmart bins of death seems to have confused the odd collector with its true value...but if no one bought from Local dealers, would there ever be a local show...I'm sure personalities play a part, of why some collectors wont buy...hurts everyone in the collecting field...None of us really know who were buying from on ebay...could be the local dealer from their area that everyones against...time for a return to having some fun at shows, I think...talk to your dealers...they want to work with the collectors...CTWLSMIKE-yeah, we all tire of the lowball offers...I don't think enough collectors know we, as dealers, do want to work with them, but if you're trading or cash + trading for a rare WL, you still have to have something good to trade...good points...keep the feedback coming...interesting talk...We feel ebay has taken some of the fun out of the local shows...but collectors, keep it fun...if its not fun, it's not worth doing...is it? Thanks.

·
Registered
929 Posts
5859gk said:
BRAY-you bring up a point I hear alot...won't buy from locals...I think everyone assumes the locals only beat you to the stuff, and now they want high $....
Let me clarify here. I don't buy WLs on the secondary market, I currently don't have the means. By locals, I'm talking about the three or four guys I see frequently that strip the pegs of everything they can make a few cents on, leaving nothing for the local collectors and when the demand dries up, suddenly there's a dozen or more of a given casting on the pegs that they returned. This is mostly HWs, but I wouldn't buy anything from these individuals.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not much luck at shows.Even though I like to see what I am buying in person.On the bay-If I pay mint on mint card,that is what I would like to get.Its only happened a couple times on the bay.But I open stuff,but I would rather not pay premium for an opener.The people I am willing to buy from is shrinking very rapidly.I just payed 35 bucks for a mint carded item.But it was crap from a bunny.I do not think I like those Georgia critters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts