Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it appears that the HW collecting world is full of cool guys who are car nuts. I've only been collecting for 2 months and have met a number of nice gents (virtually and in person). With the base assumption that we're all car nuts, I'm curious to see what you guys drive and what your dream car is.

I have a 2011 E90 (sedan) M3 Competition with a 6sp manual transmission. This is the 3rd car on my bucket list of cars to own - the other 2 being an Evo and a MR2 hardtop turbo (both sold). The 4th car is an M5 - probably the F10 although I'm not sure how I feel about a force induction M car...

Driving through a mini sand storm @ Chuckwalla Valley Raceway:

My dream car is a 2012 Porsche GT3 RS 4.0. I'll probably have to wait another 20 years before I can own this but I'm pretty sure that I'll still want it 20 years from now!

My guess is that there are a lot of hot rod guys out there and this would be an excellent opportunity to get a crash course on hot rods and American muscle!

Please contribute!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I drive a 2012 GMC Terrain. I own the 1970 AMX you see with my name. If I was a rich man I would have one or more of every RWB American Motors made. Their is a 1 of 52 factory AMX race car on Ebay now that would be mine. Owning a car like that is a huge responsibility. It's a piece of history.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=370930

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL and a 2010 Ford Expedition EL XLT. The Exped is my wife's daily. With unlimited funds I would have a 87 GNX among others.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny story...

I'm asian and I once had a '65 Mustang coupe that the previous owner modified. Not sure what the mods were and while the car was in terrible aesthetic condition (previous owner spray painted it green in the desert) it ran strong. A blonde white kid pulls up to me in a Honda Civic that is slammed to the ground with a fart can exhaust. He starts revving on me. I brake torque the Mustang and leave him in my tire smoke. It was pretty funny when you think about the stereotypes and the role reversal! Not sure how this applies to this thread but...

Go American Muscle!

I'd like a '67 GTO some day...

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I forgot to mention - my dream car is a 68 Charger. Ideally with the 426 and all the muscle car trimmings, but at this point in time I'd even take a 318 auto and be very very happy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Suzuki SX4, the "ClownCar", and a Chrysler Town and Country. I can't even think about the damage I would do with unlimited funds. Why didn't I win that Powerball of $320 million the other day? First car after lotto winnings would be a Porsche 911 Turbo. I have lusted after that car since I was old enough to know what I was looking at.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I drive the red one most of the time, the green one from time to time

This one if im feeling adventurous. Since its not finished how i want it yet

Lately this one when hauling the family and i want to contribute to global warming

And have an 04 Audi A6 allroad that the alternator just went tits up so i need to replace that this weekend.

Yeah im a car guy. I loves me some jeeps though.
Send me all your die cast jeep please. :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Currently, my rides suck. Most of the time (or if I need to go any farther than the edge of town), I drive a 2000 Chevy Cavalier. Can't complain (much), it was a freebie intended so I could drive my wife to her chemo appointements in St. Louis. Then the AC went out.

On work days, and anytime I need to go short distances or haul a load of scrap, I have a '91 F150. And it sucks gas like it was free. Messer, that Jeep you don't drive so much...Send it to me with the red wagon? :D

Edit: Forgot about my dream ride. Either a Jeep Wranger or CJ. Preferably something from '74. I kinda like the idea of having a Jeep that's as old as me. Otherwise, maybe a '70 Charger Daytona or a Cougar Eliminator. Or one of those flying cars we were promised when we were kids reading science fiction...

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
One look at my screen name and you know where my enthusiasm lies. Up until about three years ago, I had owned at least one Corvair or another ever since November of 1980, when I bought my first one as a used car for daily transportation. It took exactly one test drive to become addicted. My most recent Corvair, the 1966 Monza Sport Coupe shown in the photos below, was very much-modified mechanically but still looked nearly stock. The perect sleeper to take in unsuspecting 5.0 Mustangs (against which I built up an undefeated 13-0 record, 14-0 if you include the time a friend of mine took on one and beat it decisively while checking my car out) among other supposedly fast cars. 220+ h.p. in a 2,500 lb car with perfect weight distribution for both acceleration and braking can do things like that. It was also pretty quick on the twisties, where I flat walked away from a BMW Z-3 on a 10-mile stretch of back-country Pocono Mountain 2-lane. I had to sell the car because of finances. This lousy economy is affecting most of us to some extent, and our finances got to the point where something had to give. That turned out to be my beloved Corvair. Ihad a standing offer from a friend on the car, so I sadly took him up on it. He has since given the car a full cosmetic restoration - it didn't need anything mechanically.

Menwhile, my current daily driver is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS - The standard 171 h.p. non-supercharged version. Hey, EVERYBODY deserves a brand-new, bright red manual transmission coupe once in their life! I figured that I didn't want to pay the additional $4,000 buy-in for an extra 40 h.p. (andthe bump in insurance that goes along with anything with "Supercharged" anywhere in it's name!), and I didn't like the boy-racer wing that came with the package. Besides, 171 h.p. is enough to get you in trouble in all 50 states anyhow, right? My '66 Corvair, being from Denver originally, was mostly rust-free and I didn't want to put it through another winter of Pennsylvania road salt. I got the Cobalt in September of 2005, the first '06 Cobalt sold by the dealer I got it from. I still love this little car. Having it made giving up the Corvair a little less painful, even though the payments on the Cobalt are part of the reason we had to sell the Corvair in the first place. Anyhow, the Cobalt gets up to 60 in less than 6 seconds, does the 1/4 in just a tad under 16 secs, corners like it's on rails - I generally take cloverleafs at twice the posted "recommended" speed - and still gives me gas mileage in the low 30's in day-to-day driving on aerage. I've seen a couple of all-highway tanks in the 38 mpg range. I may be a large guy, but I definitely like my small cars!

(A quick quiz for all you guys who like to decipher vanity plates, and you know who you are! What does the plate on my Cobalt mean? I'll give you a hint: It IS car-related, but not specifically related to my Cobalt. There ARE other hints visible in the photos... )

1 - 20 of 90 Posts