Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to buy the stuff I need to get started racing 4 cell pan car on an oval. I need to know what controller,battery charger would you recomend and why. I going with 3800 or 4200 four cell class with a Novak gtb,and a brushless motor.
Any help would be great help. my e~mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
658 Posts
First off welcome to hobby talk!!!

alright, if you are wanting to go brushless, I would go with the 13.5 (Which is considered stock) going brushless is your best bet starting off with 12th scale becasue really you have to do nothing with the motor so you can focus of chassie setup.

you are going to have better luck in getting 4200's over 3800's enless you buy them used. there are many very good battery matchers for example,
www.voodoocells.com
www.teamhurricane.net

As for a charger, I would go with the Duratrax Ice, you can pick up a used on here on hobbytalk for about 85 bucks, then you will need a power supply to power it, I recommend the Pro Peak 20 amp,

As for a radio, it really is all in what you want to do, I myself use a Ko ProPo ex-10 Helios, but there are many out there. alot of racers are going with the spektrum units,
Hope this helps,
Good luck
CDW :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The best is Futaba 3PK and Competition Electrinics turbo 35 gfx. They are not cheap but if you are wanting to spend your money once and not have to worry if you bought something that might not have a feature you need later then this is the only way to go.

Wish I had all the cash I spent and respent to get what I should have got to start with and was afraid to give up the dough!

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2 Cents like stated above Can't go wrong with The Duratrax Ice cheap and does everything you could want.... and controller i know they are expensive but a Futaba 3PK You cant go wrong. You can find a nice on for around 200-250$$

Hopefully this is Helpful
Cody Gallogly
TEAM OHP!!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
There are a few things to keep in mind when starting this hobby..

1 How deep do you want to go?? If you want to go all out and commit to being totally competitive then you best bet is to buy top level stuyff right out of the gate.. Reason being is eventually you will have to upgrade.. Buying low stuff then moving up actually cost more in the end...

But if you just want to have fun and go race then you dont need top level stuff.. you can buy a middle of the road FM radio for 100-150.. i know quite a few guys who are pretty fast who use them..

your charger you want a good one right away.. your batteries are very important to your racing. a bad charger will ruin them fast.. the duratrax ice for the pric is a hot charger.. You can find a decent power supply to run it for 20-50 bucks depending on the brand.. ebay is great for buying them..

i reccomend battery connectors if your just getting in... deans ultra plugs are just as good as hard soldering..

get a weller 40 watt soldering iron, its what most who dont want to spend alot use.. i use one as well..

You can find a good used car for a good price on this site as well.. just make sure you get pics..

batteries i would get either the IP or the IB 4200 or better... the IP's work very well for new people, and they dont need to be taken care of as much.. ie you can beat the crap out of them.. The IB's work killer, but require a more finiky regiment as far as care..

there is alot of other stuff to consider as well.. But this is the general thing i told people when i worked at a hobbyshop... It is better to decide from the start how deep you want to get...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I will agree with Burbs. You need to decide first, how deep you plan on getting into. because the double dippin on upgrades will wear a pocket book out.
It is a wise decision on yours to run brushless.
And as burbs stated there are a ton of excellent used cars available.
Welcome to Oval Racing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts