Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what brought you folks to hobbytalk, and what you come here for.

I came here back in the late 90's. I found my grail kit in my local hobby shop,(it was the LIS B-9 robot from Polar lights)and checked out the link posted on either on the side of the box, or somewhere in the instructions.
I,ve been hooked ever since.

The old days where a hoot with the old clubhouse.A charicter called rat running around the place and so many other characters too. It was a real joy to come on and see the silly shenanegans going on around here. Names are escaping me at this moment, but it was fun. and of course, who could forget the Queen of styrene, Lisa!!! yes sire alot of great memories!!

Added to that was the fact that Tom Lowe and Polar lights was doing something that was unheard of then. They were providing a place for us to learn about the plans of this new company and to feel like someone was interested in our opinions and wishes when it came to our beloved hobby.

Along with all that I was with others who shared my love for the hobby. I felt for the first time that I wasn't alone in my love of sci-fi and monster kits. Never before had I been aware of so many others that shared the same interest in models as myself.
Getting to share my work with others,and more so, being inspired by others work is another of the great things about this particular board.
Polar lights left and there was a vacuum for a short period of time, one I was afraid might last the rest of my life. Then came along Moebius models, and light at the end of the tunnel.The came Monarch on moebius's heels.
This has become, for me, THE place to come and share info,and gain knowledge and insperation from the rest of you fine folks.

I thought I would pose the question to find out what this place means for some of the rest of you folks

Model on...

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I was just hunting around trying to find info on A-corpse. I'd heard about the imminent release of the old Vampire kit so I went surfing. Once I found Hobbytalk I realised I'd found somewhere I could talk to other guys interested in exactly the same niche as I am.
It took a little while to find my feet seeing as I'd never been on a forum before, plus the fact that I'd only just started using the computer.
It wasn't long before I formed strong friendships with a few of you and I felt comfortable here- now it's my favourite place to be! There's hardly ever any static, people are patient, humourous, and polite, and there's a pervading atmosphere of friendship even between the guys who do different subjects.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I came here for the free beer. They stopped that around 2001. The place is a lot more civil now but also a lot less fun. Not as many good looking babes as there used to be either.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Same as the guys above said , made some new friends like Auroranut, Mcdee, Zorro , Wolfman66 , Lou Dalmaso , MMM And many countless others , we are here for one thing the love of the hobby we call Model kits whether we collect them , display them , build and paint them or bash them and make a work of art we are all here for the same thing , we enjoy what we love share tips , news and above all have a goodtime while we are at it, aot of us are baby boomers kids from the mid 60's to 70's like myself who all have a common goal share and share alike our fond memories of yesteryear of when a company named AURORA changed our lives for good with the release of the monster kits , glow kits, superhero kits , prehistoric kits man i can go on that's why we are here and one last thing MAY YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES HAVE A BLESSED WONDERFUL AND SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON , MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING TO ALL OF YOU NEXT YEAR WHEN SOME SUPER COOL KITS WILL BE RELEASED AND MANY MORE TO COME .

Robert (Sprayray)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Found the PL board after clicking on Cult's board. Went for months hoping they'd release something I'd like so I could gush like everybody else here. Enjoyed making new online friends, and actually getting to meet many of them at various and assorted WF's and the like.

Since then my attention has become a bit divided, so I don't come by as much as I used to. But I pop in every now and then.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I was looking for Aurora boards and chat. Zorro is right , it was a bit more fun then but also newbies received far less civilty then then now, though thats not much different then any place. We also had a nice sized handful of people who liked to intimidate (read..emailed offers of free beatings) those who upset the "Gods" we had here at the time as well. So things have improved very much in the last 10 years.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I Took the Wrong Turn at Albuquerque !

I had been talking with Scott McKillop and he told me about the Clubhouse and I became a member there...but it wasn't long until a link was dropped at the Clubhouse Heralding the re-issue of Big Frankie...the link led to this forum and I jumped on the bandwagon screaming out my approval at this Milestone event...Well I was hooked, Mark McGovern gave me the nick name Mcdee and like you have met a bunch of (whoa ! damn near said Swell Fellows :drunk:)...Great guys like Auroranut, Sprayray Auroranut, Zorro , Wolfman66 , Mark McGee, John P., Fluke, Duck Fink, Bigdaddydaveh, Madcap Romanian, MonsterModel Man, deadmanincfan and Oh Man this list is endless around here!!!
But I basicly come here for the Free Beer, like Zorro :thumbsup:...and the occasional :beatdeadhorse: and Peasant Hunt!
Mcdee :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Speaking of :beatdeadhorse:, I wonder what's happening with them? Any news??? Anyone????.....

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Speaking of :beatdeadhorse:, I wonder what's happening with them? Any news??? Anyone????.....

Yeah Chris...Looks like your Dreams have come true!..I just visited the Aurora webpage and found this!!!

Kit # 452 1/4 Scale The Comical Vampire

"The Vampire"

Pre-Order Date: October 31, 2007

Price: $29.95

Shipping Date: November 2007

....Oh never mind...:p
Mcdee

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
I think, if I remember right, I found this place through Polar Lights' advertising. But since I can't even remember my own phone number half the time, I may be wrong.

What do I come here for? The abuse.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Thanks Denis. That was of great assistance.....:p

Chris.:wave:

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
I too came here through the Polar Lights ads. It was real fun back then...so much banter but I will say, we still have our own sense of fun here still! Made lots of friends...been here a long time...too many friends to name...if I forgot to mention anyone...they would stop talking to me! LOL
I mainly stay here for the inspiration of the build-ups and to stay in-tune with all the news in the hobby from Moebius, Monarch, Revell, and others...

and the modeling tips....if I hadn't stumbled onto this place...I wouldn't even know what drybrushing, washes, seam filling etc....even mean.
Who did all that back in the 60-70's?

Oh yes...and the brownies!

MMM

·
Registered
558 Posts
Can't remember how I found the board, but when I did I realized that I wasn't alone in my new/old obsession.
I quit drinking about a year ago and needed something to do with my spare time other than getting blasted. Then one day a lightbulb went on in my head when I remembered the peace and pleasure modeling provided for me as a kid. That was it! I was hooked again and pleased/amazed at the number of folks that had a common interest in something I was sure was dead.

So to answer the question: Therapy, community and last but not the least the beer (make mine a Pauli Girl NA).
Cheers mates,
Brad

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I don't recall how I found the board but it was through CultTVMan or something to do with him. Probably a web link. My interest in coming here is just to see what is going on in the modeling world, see the neat stuff others are building, and big time to get hints and ideas for my next build. I have also met a couple of folks and plan on making it a point to stop by a Lakeland hobby shop now that I met the owner on here. Just a nice place to go for all the above.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
what brought you to Hobbytalk, and what do you come here for?
I dunno. Making friends, talking shop, chewing gum and kicking ice.

I love talking shop with you guys with the occasional OT thread!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think I found this place through the Clubhouse. Moebius had posted pics of something here that I couldn't wait to see so I joined up. I stayed at first because Moebius is active here and I like to get answers about new kits straight from the source :thumbsup: Like most of you I've since found that this place is populated with loads of cool people with similar interests that I enjoy interacting with. It feels like I am hanging out at my LCS shooting the you-know-what with a bunch of friends :wave:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts