Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
or: "A Hunting We Did Go" Part I

The Hobby Talk spirit was alive and well yesterday in Southern New England, as several HT members got together for a full day of fun!

I was to go to Dave Antonelli's (Dave_anto364) home, where we would travel together to meet Mark Appelloff (Dad's Coronet) at Steve's (HobbyRI) Hobby Shop, and from there, meet up with Rob (ECchopper) in Taunton to visit a couple of diecast shops. Mark was coming in from Connecticut and managed to hit an Advance Auto Parts and a nearby favorite JL shop of ours, where he scored the Gold Series Purple GTX and a couple of other goodies I'll let him talk about. Me, I hit a WM down the road from Dave's where I scored two Winner's Circle "James Dean" Race Transporters on clearance for three bucks each. Picked up something neat for Bill Hicks (Dadvball) as well (Bill unfortunately was working today).

I got to Dave's and he was at work on a Chevelle model. We swapped a few cars and said our goodbyes to his wife Janet (I swear, there isn't a more supportive wife in the world; she is actually looking forward to Johnny Jam '07 and having even more deranged grown men to cook for!). Oh, she apologized that she didn't get to bake the cookies she had planned for our outing today! Out to Dave's bright red Celica (replete with Hot Wheels stickers in the rear quarter windows. Don't ask Dave why he has no Johnny Lightning stickers on his car, please!!!!!!!). Dave had recently switched over to his winter tires, which were topped off with a set of Bonneville Salt Flat "flush" mounted "disc" hubcaps ...... they fit the tone for today's mindset: full speed ahead!!!!!!

Mark was running late (I suspect he made more stops along the way than he cared to tell us about! ) so Dave and I hit the Rhode Island Mall Tri-fecta of TRU (skunked) WM (zippo) and Sears (they had a few Auction Insanity T-shirts, but I scored a VW Bus shirt for $3.14!). We got to Steve's Hobby Shop first and Mark instructed us NOT to go in without him, so we walked across the street to a Walgreens, which had already been scouted out by Dave before. Dave ravaged the pegs like a Hot Wheels scalper, with cars flying off the pegs and onto the floor at an alarming rate, and we were forced to leave before being banished for life (from a frickin' Walgreens, of all places! ). At this, we returned to Steve's shop and promptly went in without Mark, only to be caught flat-footed by him after two minutes of waiting for Steve.

Dave, Mark, and Steve

Steve regaled us with tales of Toy Fair, confirming the stories of Sippy Cups and Diaper pails, and the latest travails and speculation in the business regarding JL and RC2's future. He also showed us a neat RC2 catalog which had two pages on JLs, including a pic of the upcoming 5 pack sets. They also apparently plan more ten car sets as well. I noticed that despite the rumored demise of ERTL, RC2 was actually coming out with a "budget" diecast line under the ERTL name, which includes a "stand alone" rack holding loose 1/18, 1/24, and 1/64 scale cars. Anyway, we each made a few purchases, enjoyed the vintage toys tucked away on display in various nooks and crannies (nothing gets by the "Eagle Eyes" of Dave Antonelli, folks) and headed off to Taunton.

Along the way, we stopped at an Advance store (skunked again) and then pulled into a very neat antique/vintage toy shop (Motto: We ain't cheap) where we were treated to a variety of vintage diecast and older tin toys. Dave's vast toy car knowledge really pays off in shops like this! More purchases were made, many of which the other guys will post here about themselves. I made a special purchase for one Dragnet Supporter that I'll talk about in another post as well.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
By now, Rob had hit every shop from Cape Cod to Taunton, while awaiting us to arrive from our end of the excursion (Rob was under strict orders not to do what Dave and I had done to Mark by going into Jeff's shop ahead of us!). We, of course, still managed to get there before Rob, somehow

and barged right in (the word "hypocrite" does not exist in our little worlds) Jeff was a vendor who came to Johnny Jam, and we had all met there before, so it was a bit of a "reunion" for all of us. Rob soon arrived, and it was off to the pegs we went; enjoying the latest releases from JL (Swifty's Mustang was a huge hit, we all got one in tribute to our PA pal, whose name came up frequently during the day!) as well as filling some holes in our collections with a great array of older releases.

We had a great time chatting with Jeff, and all of us left with some kind of purchase (many cars were bought today for other HT members!), and a recommendation from Jeff about a place for grub that would allow us to spread our trader boxes all over the place. But first, there was one more shop down the street to hit, a shop that neither Dave, Mark, nor even Rob - the Roving Ravager of Die Cast Stores - had ever been to. I had recently discovered it, and knew these guys would love it.

They did.

Rob, with shop owner Mike

The owner was there, and it was quickly apparent that he was an avid collector as well, with a knowledge on par with Dave Antonelli; and in short order, Mike had opened up a few of his "secret" drawers to Dave and the rest of us. Good Lord, he had some neat stuff; Hot Wheels and Matchbox, as well as Johnnie's. More purchases were made

including the lone White Lightning score of the day (by an unknowing ECchopper); a car that had somehow escaped the eye of Mike the shop owner, and his vast knowledge of collectible die cast, but not the keen eye of Dave Antonelli
Here we are inspecting that car

and here is that White Beauty:

(that's right folks, that's what Rob paid for that WL!)

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this late hour (five o' clock!) it was time to eat, so we pulled into a lot next door to the pub that Jeff had sent us to, and each walked in with a big box of "traders", as well as the latest "Bud Box". Beverages and appetizers were ordered. Each of us took turns unloading our stash on top of the table for inspection, and the trading was fast and furious, often with cars being grabbed, well, just because (isn't that right, Dave? :p ). A call was placed to out missing comrade Bill Hicks, and then it was back to the trading.

After dinner, we each took a shot at the Bud Box, with my request that everybody take at least one thing, in tribute to the Hobby Talk Spirit that Bud has shown so well himself. A toast was made to him, and soon after Rob was the first to leave. Shortly after, we were approached by a guy who thought we sold toy cars, and he explained that he had a collection of over 200 toy GTO's and asked if we had any to sell. Mark pulled out a loose '65 and showed it to the guy, who asked if Mark would be willing to sell it to him. In typical Hobby Talk fashion, Mark didn't miss a beat in saying "take it, enjoy it".

And we were soon packing up to leave.

Not so fast.

You didn't think a story like this was going to end without a little excitement, did you???? Rob returned to the table moments later, with a very calm statement: "Um, guys, we have a little problem. Our cars are locked in the parking lot next door".

Dead silence, as the gravity of that comment set in.

I wish you could all have seen the look on Mark's face as he raced out the door to his car (he had driven Dave and myself there in his year old Ford Five Hundred, a car near and dear to his heart!). Sheer terror and anger. :drunk: Sure enough, chains now crossed the entry and exit driveways of a shop we thought had already closed for the day (turns out it had, but the owner comes back at 5PM to secure the parking lot of his oh-so-valuable store that none of us even can remember what it sells).

There was one section of chain that hung particularly lower, and it was decided that if Mark and I each stood on it and held it down, it would be juuuuuust wide enough for a car to drive over. Slowly, Rob drove his S10 over the chain, across the sidewalk, and off the curb to safety, then returned to take Mark's place while he did the same. All went well until I realized that Mark's car would not fare as well driving off the curb, so I suggested that he turn the wheel, back up, cut the wheel the opposite way, and head for a lower part of the curb where he'd stand a better chance. The toes of both Rob and I stood mere fractions of an inch from getting crushed under Mark's tires, when suddenly there was a noticeable "Ping!!!!!! ". Rob and I looked sheepishly at each other as we realized the end link of the chain had suddenly snapped, and the entire chain lay flat on the asphalt like a dead snake. Mark was blissfully unaware of this, and drove his car to a safe spot as well. Rob and I, fearing a hidden video camera somewhere, beat feet out of there like scared schoolboys caught pulling a prank!

Rob left, while the rest of us packed up Mark's car and headed out as well. The three of us realized on the drive back that the subject of Johnny Jam '07 had not been discussed once during the meal, and tentative planes were kicked around and a few decisions were made, which will also be posted about later. Along the way, Mark quietly remarked that - despite the late hour and his long ride back to CT - there had to be one last stop in the schedule, no? With that, we headed for another WM in Warwick RI, and a nearby Advance Auto Parts store (skunked, and skunked again!). Mark dropped Dave and I off at Steve's Hobby Shop where Dave had left his car (thankfully, Steve didn't lock us in his parking lot! :lol:

All in all, a lot of fun was had; many cars were purchased at a variety of shops; and many, many cars were traded at dinner.

I want to thank all who had a hand in the day's fun; Mark, Dave, Rob, Jeff, Mike, and Bill Hicks (via telephone), and look forward to the other guys posting their "takes" on the day. :thumbsup:

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
WHAT .....no pict's of the broken chain..I see. Dont't want to have evidence of the crime!!!:p .

That's a great A Bonus car. At fest in Mishawaka one year, they had a table full of Q-Cars. No one knew what they were untill the word got out. GONE.

Wow. Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for the pict's. It's great to faces to the names and to see where everyone collects and that they collect what they like. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a great time,it's awesome to hear of HT's hooking up for hunts and fun...you east coasters seem like a tight bunch,that's cool :thumbsup:
and thanks for the pics.
I'm meeting 41willy's at 1:30 today for a hunt here in Indiana.

Don't you guy's have any snow? I didn't see any in the outside pics...lucky guys :wave:

·
Registered
123 Posts
:confused: where's RICH in all those pictures..hmmmmmm, oh well I sure am glad you guys had a great time..even if you did kill the guys chain... :freak: .and not one BWF was found. huh? :drunk:
GOD bless
wayne james ( modelocar )

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
triple20 said:
Don't you guy's have any snow? I didn't see any in the outside pics...lucky guys :wave:
There's been next to nothing for snow this year. A couple of weeks ago parts of RI got maybe 3" or so, and rest of the state, including nearby MA, go nothing. This past week what started as snow changed to sleet and freezing rain. Made quite a mess. I still hoping for a big one though.

Rich, you guys seemed to have an awesome time. Glad you took lots of pics. Wish I could have made it. And talk about the right guy finding the Elky WL! I know Rob loves that casting.
Can't wait to see what the other guys post.

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
sounds like a good time was had by all(except mybe the chain lol)man id have a heart attack seein all those johnnies in one spot ttfn johnny :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
kadman said:
sounds like a good time was had by all(except mybe the chain lol)man id have a heart attack seein all those johnnies in one spot ttfn johnny :thumbsup:
I've been to Jeff's shop a few times. The actual wall area covered with Johnnies is at least 4 times longer than what you can see. He's got a separate room filled with 1/24 and 1/18 cars as well. Lots of awesome stuff.
On top of that, he's got a beauty of an old time ramp truck, and runs a Henry J at nostaglia drag races.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sounds like a great time, and scored some nice cars! Nice to see another hair head here too, lol. My hair is just a bit longer than ECChoppers! except I have more on top.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Actually, I only hit a few stores along the way. Picked up a set of trucks that a Canadian JDS buddy is looking for and I found 2 "other brands" chase vehicles. That picture of us inspecting the WL? It's actually the BTM chase Chevelle. I was telling Dave the story behind it, and then handed it to him. Found another chase vehicle at the Raynham Wally. What happened to that one?

Bought the white El Camino quite simply, because it's an El Camino and I didn't have that one. Dave pointed it out to Mark that it was a WL, and Mark relayed it to me. Good thing too, because I would have just opened it once I got home. Me happy.

Had a great time meeting up with the guys. I have the feeling we were quite the scene at the pub. Made some great trades, and I still owe Mark. I have a feeling I will always owe Mark. I wasn't concerned with being locked into the parking lot, because, well, I'm no stranger to breaking out of places. And we'll just leave it at that. I was LMAO when that chain snapped. I was standing on the side that broke, and very close to Mark's rear tire, I might add. I was more concerned with not damaging Mark's car.

All in all....excellent time. Looking forward to the next time we can all get together.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
MudSlinger said:
Sounds like a great time, and scored some nice cars! Nice to see another hair head here too, lol. My hair is just a bit longer than ECChoppers! except I have more on top.

Oh, sure. Rub it in! :p

1 - 20 of 52 Posts