Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, my wife has cancer. Today was her first follow-up after a three-month break from Chemo. The news...wasn't good. But still, we aren't letting it get to us. She'll go back on chemo and we'll keep fighting.

So, since I had to drive to St. Louis today (well, yesterday, now as I write this...), I made a point of hitting a few places along the way. I hit a couple of places in Nashville, Illinois, as well as Fairview Heights. We prefer to take Highway 127 north, if you know anything about the area.

Anyway, here is a varied and mixed bag of finds:
First up, I got this from walgreens yesterday:

It's a Maisto Highway Hauler, and has to be one of the cheapest toys I've bought in a long time. Still, I like the design (if I didn't I would have left it on the shelf!).

Then, there are these three, two from Wal-Mart, and the Superbird from a gas station along the way:

The Superbird has a few mistakes in the tampos. they could have taken a little more care and made sure the edges of all the decals were straight. But, I'm really starting to dig these old Daytona conversions, moreso since I started building a 1:16 scale Model Charger kit. Fangula is this years line, it's a Code Car. And the London Taxi was pretty cool. I don't normally buy many matchbox, but this one was really nice and fell into my basket.

I found another of the Batman series I've been trying to collect:

That makes 7 of 8. Just need the '66 TV Batmobile to complete the set.

And there are these two:

Real Riders, and metal bodies. Paid a bit more for them than I would normally, but I really dig the green paint on the Roadster. This is the third of these Roadsters I have, and each one is pretty nice.

Finally, I stopped at Walgreens on the way back through town, the same store I got the highway hauler from, because they had some more Maisto's that caught my eye while I was there. I couldn't beat the price either. They were 1:24 scale and $6.99 each. But if you bought 2, you got the third free.

I took home the Mini Cooper Cabrio, and a pair of Audi's. Here are some pics of the Cooper (the Audi's will follow):

These have a nice amount of detail (especially for a Maisto), and easily scratch my itch for larger scale diecast.

After the jump, I show off my new Audi's.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First up, the Audi TT Roadster:

The only hitch with this one is that there is a grill down in the ground effects that needs detailed. Even if it is supposed to be body color, it still needs a wash to bring out the details.

And the Audi R8:

This is the first time I've ever seen an R8 up close, and I gotta say, I love the design. the only problem with this one:

They got the front license plate on crooked. It's just a decal. I think I'll just take it off altogether, since among the pics I've seen of the 1:1, only about half have the plate on the front anyway.

Who says Maisto can't produce some nice models?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hunting cars is a nice distraction and you got some good stuff.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
First up: sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she can get rid of this. Don't give up.
Second: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fangula have a laugh!
Third: Fangula is cool because of the metal base. Same as Meyers Manx.
Fourth: Maisto is hit and miss, but their Bburago line proves that they can do it. I saw those haulers here today for the first time, you know, the ones with the truck and another car on the back. The photos here always looked great. In reality the models were a bit crude and plastic to me. I left them.
Fifth: awesome older HW delivery and garage. Can't leave those behind.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First up: sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she can get rid of this. Don't give up.
Second: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fangula have a laugh!
Third: Fangula is cool because of the metal base. Same as Meyers Manx.
Fourth: Maisto is hit and miss, but their Bburago line proves that they can do it. I saw those haulers here today for the first time, you know, the ones with the truck and another car on the back. The photos here always looked great. In reality the models were a bit crude and plastic to me. I left them.
Fifth: awesome older HW delivery and garage. Can't leave those behind.
thanks. I like the haulers, I have several, and I have my eye on a few more. I may one day go to Hobby Lobby, they have one with a corvette on the back. But then again, around here we just got a couple of Olds 442's and 71 Camaro's on flatbeds, too...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Please convey to your wife to stay strong and positive half the fight is in your heart and mind. I recently found out a young lady that works for me has cancer she's only 29 years old. I pulled are staff together to rally around her for support its the best medicine we can offer. That being said nice finds my friend.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the good wishes, guys. We'll take all of those and all the prayers we can. At this point, things just don't look good long-term. But we've been living with it, and we'll keep on living with it. We're planning a big bash for Halloween/Our birthdays. We ain't gonna let it get us down.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to your wife, you and your family, tolenmar. Tell your wife to stay strong. I was at a family reunion with three of my cousins and an aunt who have each fought cancer and beat it. Hang in there...

On the not-so-important side - nice finds.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm lovin' these Maisto's. Maybe it's cause they are newest...maybe it's cause they are convertibles and we're fighting triple digit heat here...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sending my best wishes.

My favorites in your haul: the Superbird, Arkham Asylum Batmobile, '32 Ford Delivery (I have one as well - one of my favorite Fred Meyer clearance finds), '33 Ford Roadster, and the Maistos.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sending my best wishes.

My favorites in your haul: the Superbird, Arkham Asylum Batmobile, '32 Ford Delivery (I have one as well - one of my favorite Fred Meyer clearance finds), '33 Ford Roadster, and the Maistos.
That only leaves out the taxi and fangula. :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts