Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i headed down to the carlisle fairgrounds for the fall event. i saw some nice 1:1 cars but not too much in the johnny lightning world. i did score a few on my list but i refused to pay some of the ridiculous prices they were asking. most tents didn't have a regular issue johnny lightning for under $6. i did come across a PIP crown vic w/l for $10 that the seller had missed b/c he had it mixed in with all of the regular j/l cars that he was asking a minimum of $10 for :freak: i was going to grab it but the card was soaked due to the rain even though it was hanging inside his tent so i passed on it.

most vendors wanted $5 for regular issue hotwheels. :freak: one of the worst had to be the idiot trying to sell some of the greenlight MCG stock & custom for $18.99 :eek: i couldn't contain myself and said very loudly to my buddy "this guy is friggin nuts, i just bought all of these at K-mart for $3.99 a piece and this idiot wants $18.99? what is this guy smoking?" the look on the guys face and the look on the peoples face standing there were priceless. :D

i really expected to see more johnny lightning cars available there. i only came across about 5 vendors that had them. :( i hoped to fill in a few BWF's and PIP cars on my list but only came across one PIP and two official BWF cars through the entire place. i did find 3 unofficial BWF cars on my list and they all came from the same vendor so i guess i can't say it was a total waste. :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a PIP '69 Camaro(#4), BWF '69 Camaro(#1), BWF '59 El Camino(#2), BWF '70 Mustang(#3), BWF VW Bus(#4) and BWF '68 Corvette(#13) if you need them, PM me.

JP2

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have not been to any car shows like that in a long time. Hopefully i can make it to daytona over thanksgiving this year. Shows like that are nice to see some nice 1:1 cars. Diecast dealers can be outrageous.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
I was at Carlisle for the Ford weekend and noticed the exact same thing. The one vender inside the building wanted 21.00 for a Mustang that I wanted.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Yep, went to Knoxville for a toy show a few weeks ago and experianced (sp?) the same thing.

One guy knew I was looking at a car for $5 and he heard me telling my son I would most likley come back for it ( if I did not find other items that needed my budget.)

When I swept back later, he had raised the price to $8!!!!! I quitley told him how I felt about that, and he got to keep his toy car! Paying the $8 bucks was not an issue, it was the greed of the seller and his tactics that chaped me.

Hey Pewter, What PIP cars are you lookig for? I have several extras and might have what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
I've seen these crazy prices at flea markets too. Severals years ago I saw someone pay $50 for a First Edition Hot Wheels car. I just couldn't believe my eyes when a guy handed a fifty dollar bill to the vender. It wasn't an error or variation either. It was just a First Edition that the guy couldn't wait a month to get in the store for a dollar.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Depending on the car show/event, the charge to "for profit" vendors to set up and sell can cost $$$. I would guess that most have to mark up their cars a little to recover the cost to set up. If it's like other shows I've been to, you end up paying 3x more for food and beverages than they're worth also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts