Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I no longer have the desire to collect JL. I didnt mind paying $2.99 for a diecast and I even went along with $3.99 but decided to just cut back and only focus on certin models but now $4.44 and $4.77 depending on which wal-mart you are at is just to much. They do make great cars of great quality but they priced me out of the JL share of the market. I may still pick up one here and there but its really going to have to be one I have been waiting for all my life (lol). The other brand has been putting out some good muscle car castings and even the Bat mobile for only 97 cents. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Those are wal-mart prices, not JL. At the Target by me they are still 3.99, which is still a bit on the steep side, but better than at wally for 4.44.

·
0 Posts
I hear you. Yesterday at WM I held the Johnny Retro blue GTO in my hands but put it back on the peg. A nice car, decent details, and a gorgeous paint job. But, at $5.56 with tax for a casting I already have in several other colours, no thanks. If it was in the previous less bulky style of packaging, I might have bought it to tuck away, but I won't store any of the new ones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you really think you are getting a bargain with the other brand take a closer look. I've been there, done that. The typical hotwheel mentality is collect as many cars as you can. Fill up storage containers and pack them away never to look at them again. Me, I would rather pay more to get a few really nice castings than worry about quantity. Let's face it people, you get what you pay for. Most people want these cars to sell for what they did back in the 60's. I lived through it. Sure Mattel sells them for roughly what they sold for back then but they sure aren't the same quality. Now lets all go down to the car lot and pick up a new car for $3000.00.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I agree about the shot wheels... some of the shape of the casting of muscles cars are pretty good, but most aren't they tend to screw them up some how...

examples...luv that new 55 Chevy Bel Aire Taxi in yellow, bought it but close inspection shows the usual for 99 cents...no detail, plastic base with no detail..has potential with some kustomizing

that new white Firebird with the blue strips looks terrible!...even that new black GN that the shot wheelers are going ga-ga about...with the removable front hood...there is something off about the shape, not that great

ya get what you pay for... just don't buy so many cars!... don't be a shot wheels guy and go for quantity, not quality.... don't see anything wrong with some of the above... pick it up, look at it, then decide... even a WL ... have some balls if you don't like the car that is a WL, then ya don't have to buy it and run here to the WL board with a 'look what I found' post, then say it's for trade... just leave it...get picky

·
Registered
173 Posts
geman57 said:
If you really think you are getting a bargain with the other brand take a closer look. I've been there, done that. The typical hotwheel mentality is collect as many cars as you can. Fill up storage containers and pack them away never to look at them again. Me, I would rather pay more to get a few really nice castings than worry about quantity.
I for one disagree with your statement. JL, has ALWAYS had QC issues. I see these issues getting worse. Now, Im not sticking up for HW, but QC is still a JL issue for the cost. At .97 cents I can tolerate some QC problems. But I do have to admit most castings suck. Most JL's Ive opened have had some issues. Wheels especially. While I still like JL, I still cant find them. Ive seen the same old JL Retro, and first CARS assortment on the pegs since Janurary. Im not an OLD buyer so retail is my only outlet. So if I see a car that I REALLY want I will pay the $4.44. Cost is an issue, but distribution (at least in my area) is the biggest concern.

·
Registered
981 Posts
[QUOTE=geman57. Let's face it people, you get what you pay for. Most people want these cars to sell for what they did back in the 60's.

Absolutely... The 99 cent HWs may only cost 10 cents to make and it shows... It's just a matter of priority . If an extra 50 cents spent at Walmart is over the top for you and the quality of HW make you feel like your getting a swell deal , then that should be your plan .

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
geman57 said:
Now lets all go down to the car lot and pick up a new car for $3000.00.
...on the phone with the local Chevy dealership! Yes, I'd like to order a new Z28, 302 with the crossram, also the white big block COPO Camaro with the dogdish hubcaps. Oh, both with 4-speeds and the Z28 needs to be Hugger Orange. Thanks!

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
Absolutely... The 99 cent HWs may only cost 10 cents to make and it shows... It's just a matter of priority . If an extra 50 cents spent at Walmart is over the top for you and the quality of HW make you feel like your getting a swell deal , then that should be your plan .
I have to disagree with you on this satement.:) The HW/Matchbox's Iv'e been purchasing lately due to the JL price increas have been some great castings. Granted it's nice to see them get away from those carzy castings and get back to casting some nice Batmobile's, Hearses, VW's. Even the Matchbox red GTI is fantastic. And all for .97 cents. Even Motor Max is stepping up and filling the gap JL has left with some nice stuff. I guess it's collect what you like and share the joy of collecting. There just toy's.:wave: :thumbsup:

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
ozmont said:
Are they selling Yugo's again?
I thought you wanted another Chevy Sprint you speed demon you...

Now that would be cool casting for Motor Max to do...

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
VWowner said:
I have to disagree with you on this satement.:) The HW/Matchbox's Iv'e been purchasing lately due to the JL price increas have been some great castings. Granted it's nice to see them get away from those carzy castings and get back to casting some nice Batmobile's, Hearses, VW's. Even the Matchbox red GTI is fantastic. And all for .97 cents. Even Motor Max is stepping up and filling the gap JL has left with some nice stuff. I guess it's collect what you like and share the joy of collecting. There just toy's.:wave: :thumbsup:

I agree!! JL has some great cars, but HW, MB, and MM have really had some excellent cars lately!!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
VWowner said:

Thanks VW , very well said . It's just a matter of personal taste and what turns your crank.. I just really enjoy the detail work found in the JLs to duplicate the 1:1s . :thumbsup: The others.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to stoke this fire a bit more, I have to agree about the quality issues with JL. I check each car very carefully before I buy it and yes for $5.00 there should not be this concern. Some flaws you only find upon opening the car. Hopefully this can be addressed. I still contend that I would rather have 1 nice casting as apposed to 5 mediocre ones. This is from someone who just liquidated over 600 Hotwheels that I had collected over the years. Still more to go.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
VWowner said:
I thought you wanted another Chevy Sprint you speed demon you...

Now that would be cool casting for Motor Max to do...
I bought this car new in 1987. 1.0 liter Turbocharged fuel injected engine (61cu in). 70hp and torque was [email protected], 12" tires, 8 gallon gas tank. It held 3.5 quarts of oil. It got 53 mpg on the highway. It was an awesome car.

It would make a great casting I bet.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
wildbill63 said:
...on the phone with the local Chevy dealership! Yes, I'd like to order a new Z28, 302 with the crossram, also the white big block COPO Camaro with the dogdish hubcaps. Oh, both with 4-speeds and the Z28 needs to be Hugger Orange. Thanks!
heh-hem...ok!:lol:

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I`ll still pick up the 4 castings I collect no matter what they cost even if $10 each however with all JL`s priced at $4.44 and $4.77 I definately won`t be just picking up a car in the past just because I like the looks of it.
Also with the castings of hw`s,and MB ,they are decent for their price range but I`d love to see some 100% versions,and MB premeires come out. IMO,MB has some of the best castings and if they would come out with some in the JL price range I`d definately be buying them.
Also when you see GL`s priced at $3.99 you definately know that any JL over that price range is definately overpriced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts