Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a month or so I've hit up about 5 walmarts in my area and have found on the pegs older year cars. Some have been all the way back from 1991. Was wondering if this is something Mattel has been doing to perk up sales or if it's because people have been returning old cars that they have laying around.

So all in all was wondering if anyone else has found something like this at there Wally World so I'm not feeling all super special when I find them haha

Thanks everyone for your replies. Have a great day

Blane

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Ratlehead is correct.
Collectors who thought a casting was going to worth some money find out that it isn't really worth all that much return then.
I see this mostly at Wal-Marts.
This is a good way for you to get some castings you might not have had the chance to come across.

·
Premium Member
9,014 Posts
Nice Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Nice Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

I don't see it as good finds. I see it as a criminal act. Returning something YEARS after you bought it is questionable character at the very least. If I was manager at that Walmart I would probably get in trouble as I would not accept that type of return. That's underhanded and cheap and takes a real lowlife. If you can't afford to take a loss on them, then you can't afford to be in the hobby, period. Walmart lets the cheapskates get away with it so it continues to be a problem. The lowlifes continue to get over on Walmart.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have found some earlier cars at grocery stores which I rather enjoy finding actually since they are from before I started collecting but those aren't the Wally returns. Talk about low life is that GTO garage I bought only to did out that it had been "flipped"?? Someone bought it went to the trouble to open it with no evidence and swipe the wheels an put it back together soldering the rivets and used regular wheels. That was at a Kmart in Phila but it only cost .32 cents so it didn't hurt as bad $$ wise. Just the point I it all. Lot of work for little return IMO. Gave it to my 1.5 yr old this am to open and play with. Just hope he doesn't throw it because it WILL take out a window with all the solder in those rivets. Lol.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Unfortunately the managers don't really consider returning outdated Hot Wheels as pretty high on their list of importnat things.
About three weeks ago I was looking at the pegs at my local Wal-Mart and I noticed a 10 pack on the shelf. Every car was replaced with a very noticeably used Hot Wheel and in one slot a Matchbox.
I brought it to the register along with the cars I was getting and brought it to the cashier's attention. I felt pretty good thinking it would be taken care of. A week later I see the SAME 10 pack right back on the shelf. I track down the person who takes care of the toy department and showed her what the problem was, she took it right to the manager herself. I haven't seen it in some time so I guess that was taken care of.
A perfect example of the Wal-Mart people not careing and collectors bringing back old or in this case used cars.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I would not call those people collectors. Real collectors would take the cars they don't want and either trade them to someone who does, or give them to kids.

When i buy a multi-car pack, I'll take the cars I want and give the rest to a friend who has kids.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
i have a flea market dirter who use to have a walmat stocker connection.he would buy a full case of HWs and the return his older cars that he could not sell.there was never ever any new stock in that store but every other week you would see 95,95,98 FEs on the pegs.some had k amrt stickers still on them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I don't see it as good finds. I see it as a criminal act. Returning something YEARS after you bought it is questionable character at the very least. If I was manager at that Walmart I would probably get in trouble as I would not accept that type of return. That's underhanded and cheap and takes a real lowlife. If you can't afford to take a loss on them, then you can't afford to be in the hobby, period. Walmart lets the cheapskates get away with it so it continues to be a problem. The lowlifes continue to get over on Walmart.
lol rattlehead...i think you are taking this a little too seriously...i mean really...return a few old 99cent cars that are still pretty much 99cents...not criminal...cheap maybe.
and yeah, i've found a few older castings that i missed in this way...

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Remind me sometime to tell you about some of the horrific returns I see coming back to Costco...

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Walmart will take anything back as a return even if its not from Walmart....

I have a tote full of sealed Redlines that I am going to return back to Walmart soon , so I can make .15c on every Redline I return :D

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
lol rattlehead...i think you are taking this a little too seriously...i mean really...return a few old 99cent cars that are still pretty much 99cents...not criminal...cheap maybe.
and yeah, i've found a few older castings that i missed in this way...
I do take it seriously. It really speaks to the character of the individual making the return. Old FEs are not worth $1. Take them to a toy show and ask a buck a piece, and see how many you sell. You are lucky to get 3 for $1 out of them. If you goof, and years down the road regret buying something or find that you don't need it any more then it is a USED item, whether you ever opened it or not. Over that last 3 years I have given close to 2,000 cars to toys for tots. I guess I should have taken them back to Walmart.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
You are one of the few honorable ones left Rattlehed. Toys for Tots is a great oranization.
Unfortunately there will be those people who will do this because they can. And the people at the returns desk wouldn't know if the car is a month old or 2 years old so they take them back.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Unfortunately there will be those people who will do this because they can. And the people at the returns desk wouldn't know if the car is a month old or 2 years old so they take them back.
Well the "1998 FIRST EDITION" on the card might tip them off if they weren't half asleep.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts