Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a weekend Dj and need a web site for my business. I don't have the slightest idea how to do it, or what I need. Where can I go on the web where I can find "web site design for dummies"??? I don't need anything flashy right now, but just something to get prospective customers attention, and if I can do it myself for free, that's a BIG plus. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I like Tripod site builder. It is easy to use and an excellent cgoice for a first website. I went with Tripod Pro for $8.95 per month. You can find information at tripod.lycos.com

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Uh, I've been eyeing your thread, wary of joining in...

It seems there's a barrier to authoring a web site, once you cross this it comes pretty easy. Before then it's like contemplating brain surgery.

I'd start with your own ISP. See what tools they have available for free. Most ISP's give you hosting included in your per month fee. At least the ones that charge $20 or more per month. This is usually 10mb storage and so much bandwidth (the amount of data downloaded from the site per time period. Bandwidth may be 100 mb per day or some amount per month. If you use more than this (people "hitting" your site a lot) then you have the option of paying for more bandwidth and storage. Usually you don't need this if you're just learning.

Play with this. It'll get you over the web authoring threshold and you'll be well on your way.

You may have tools on your PC to write web pages. Microsoft Word is a good web authoring tool. You can create "documents" in "web view" and save these as "html" to your PC's hard drive.

You can set up windows to use File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to upload the saved html to your ISP's server. Or you can download FTP client software. I like Smart FTP. It's freeware. It's easier than using windows built in FTP capabilities.

If you want fancy stuff like a catalogue and online ordering, I'm not able to help you. I'd go with one of the companies that cater to this and set up a store after you get more familiar with web authoring (Yahoo stores?).

Let this digest a while. Check out your ISP's information on their home page about "personal web pages". They may even have commercial accounts for businesses with more features.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
web site design for dummies

Thanks Steve244, you obviously know your way around this stuff, unfortunately, I don't! I'll try to follow your suggestions as best as I can and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DJ, if you have never done a webpage, try a WYSIWYG editor, what you see is what you get...... drag and drop, visual, rather than trying to figure out HTML. Frontpage is a great program to use, and there are lots of other programs on the net that are free, not as good, but free. Get you r own Webpage host, they usually have templates, you can change them , and add stuff that you want.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
DJWAK said:
Thanks Steve244, you obviously know your way around this stuff, unfortunately, I don't! I'll try to follow your suggestions as best as I can and see what happens.
and if all else fails... i do websites on the side.. and can toss you up a free 1-3 page one... yes for free... nothing fancy... no flashy stuff..

just your standard business style.. who ami, what do i do, how to contact me.

you can supply me with the info you want on it.. some "wordage" and maybe some pictures, and ill snap up a snazzzzy one for you.

here are some samples... not production.. just samples that i show to people who wanted a website to give them an idea....

http://www.midnightmotoring.com (the stale e-commerce test.. LOL)
http://www.midnightmotoring.com/dvr (shrug...)
http://www.midnightmotoring.com/gns (guy disappered from the earth)
http://www.midnightmotoring.com/legba/ (this one will go live soon, in the midst of redoing the whole site for my uncle-in-law)

I used to do this full time back in the day.. but stopped.. im a bit rusty, but im up for a nice challenge to get back into stuff, i need to practice again...

so like i said.. free =)

im always up to help a fellow RC/Hobbytalker..
email me directly if interested.
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts