Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a couple of pics I came across a while ago.
trying to figure out just how to duplicate this REALLY weathered effect - light gray wash? Salt wash? lot's of gray pastels?

Also - dang, but our planes are getting worn!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Gun metal washes, or even drybrushing, around the panels, I'd suggest, John. In both photos my immediate reaction is that the plane looks just like polished gun metal all over, weathered to an unpolished look around the panel lines. If I was doing this kit, I'd perhaps use a mix of gun metal and silver for the lighter areas, then just 'pure' gun metal for the weathered, darker areas.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
How about a thin wash of liquid soap, and then blasted with an airbrush to get the patterns to look close?

·
Registered
344 Posts
There's another technique that's worked for me. I paint an undercoating, a shade of the final color, in either enamel or lacquer, then cover that with acrylic in the final shade. Then I blast it with alcohol or Windex from the airbrush. Takes some experimentation, but it delivers a really cool mottled effect.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Natural metal under/base coat. Light coating of grey top color coat. Take some fine steel wool and lightly sand to the metal undercoat.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
That might not be metal showing through.

It may be the light grey undercoat or a reflection. I have seen this reflection in flight numerous times on our birds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd consider 'extreme' pre shading, but stipple on the under colour, and then maybe also use variations in reflectivity in the clear coats (i.e. satin in some areas, matt in others).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts