Hobbyist Forums banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Administrator
25,993 Posts
As to the advertisement space on the right. You really are not missing anything because the space is empty otherwise if the advertisements are not visible. After you have been posting for awhile the advertisements will become more relevant to what you post about or comment on. I have already seen some cool products and services I wouldnt know about otherwise. And since I post mostly about cars - it doesnt know I am talking mostly about diecasts and not full size models. :geek:

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Understandable!

I dont remember seeing the take the tour sign, but would have loved to have experienced it. I will flag it for VS-ADMIN as an issue for your (and me). For now try just opening it and then stoping it to exit out. Hopefully; that will clear it out of your settings.

For now we only have the two options. I dont like the default either and wish we can get back the orange and blue old HobbyTalk skin colors back some day. It is way old school but still a familiar look I miss a bit. Right now the site is set for optimized loading speed and page transitions so available options are scaled back in the new platform.

If you havent tried the dark mode - check it out from the ellipse icon (3 stacked dots). It is much easier to take visually.

The tour thing's gone now. It didn't disappear the first time (maybe I didn't click it properly) but now it's gone.
Yes I hope we can get the old look back as not only was it distinctive and unlike any other site I've seen but it was easier to use, less cluttered and more user friendly.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Have a feeling the old look is a thing of the past.

Changes just take time getting used to.

Eric

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I still can't edit any of my posts over 24 hours old.
Yes. The same one:
  • You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days
I hadn't posted anything nor attempted to edit anything in over 7 days.
Today, I tried to edit older posts twice. Both times, I continued to get the same error message:
It appears nothing has been done to fix this.

I've gained a lot of knowledge about the modeling world, and I feel I've contributed many things I've learned too over the years. When I find new information that corrects previous held beliefs, I do a search to correct it in my older posts. That way anybody looking for that information will be able to find it. This prevents the wrong information from being perpetuated. Although I'm probably in the minority when it comes to stuff like this, it's important to me. I also hate finding misspellings and grammatical errors of mine irritating. I try to correct those as well, when I notice them.

I hope something is done to correct this problem.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Post #102 dated 15 days ago indicates staff is aware of the problem and working on it.

As for how long that takes, no idea.

Eric

·
BANNED
7,825 Posts
I hadn't posted anything nor attempted to edit anything in over 7 days.
Today, I tried to edit older posts twice. Both times, I continued to get the same error message:
It appears nothing has been done to fix this.

I've gained a lot of knowledge about the modeling world, and I feel I've contributed many things I've learned too over the years. When I find new information that corrects previous held beliefs, I do a search to correct it in my older posts. That way anybody looking for that information will be able to find it. This prevents the wrong information from being perpetuated. Although I'm probably in the minority when it comes to stuff like this, it's important to me. I also hate finding misspellings and grammatical errors of mine irritating. I try to correct those as well, when I notice them.

I hope something is done to correct this problem.
me too

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Post #102 dated 15 days ago indicates staff is aware of the problem and working on it.

As for how long that takes, no idea.

Eric
I know there is a ticket on this but I do not yet have an ETA on the fix.

I will check in with the team to see if there are any updates on it yet.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
25,993 Posts
I'm sorry you guys feel like our issues are not being addressed quickly. I am disappointed as well that is taking longer than before for our support team to fix issues effecting individual members.

For now it seems we are enmeshed in the site overhauls for all of Vertical Scope and not as an individual site right now.

I can only ask that you be patient with VS Admin (Cricket) and the position they are in with the development team and their rollout schedules with the site software company.

?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the relationships.

Is Vertical Scope a hosting web-site with tools used by HobbyTalk?
Who is VS Admin (Cricket)? What kind of team is it? Are they in charge of configuring the installation so Hobbytalk runs on the Vertical Scope hosting web-site?
Who is the development team? What do they develop?

Who gathers the problem reports?
Who decides what will be fixed or not?
Will we be notified what will and what won't be fixed?
Is there any kind of schedule/timeline for that work?

I didn't edit nor post for 9 days in an attempt to make sure my edit count for a week would be minimized hopefully to zero. The error message stating I couldn't edit more than 10 messages in 7 days shouldn't have reappeared. That message won't go away by itself. I have no idea whether any attempt to fix that problem has started at all. Has a programmer or system administrator attempted to fix it?......or is there an unread writeup sitting in someone's inbox or junk mail folder? Can we see the list of problems that are being worked on?

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Is Vertical Scope a hosting web-site with tools used by HobbyTalk?
VerticalScope owns the website.

Who is VS Admin (Cricket)? What kind of team is it? Are they in charge of configuring the installation so Hobbytalk runs on the Vertical Scope hosting web-site?
I introduced myself in post #2 of this thread.

My official title is Forum Development/Community Management which is just fancy words to say that I help with the forums.

My current focus is to help communities transition to the new platform.

Who is the development team? What do they develop?
The developers work to keep the sites running and build tools and features to help us with the platform.

Who gathers the problem reports?
The site support team, which includes me and others.

Who decides what will be fixed or not?
If it is broken, it will be fixed. If it is simply a request, it is looked at by the developers to see if it is important to the communities and if it is feasible to do.

Will we be notified what will and what won't be fixed?
Again, if it is broken, it will be fixed in the vast majority of cases. We post weekly releases (approximately) regarding updates.

Is there any kind of schedule/timeline for that work?
I do not have an ETA on when things will be fixed. Everything receives a "ticket" and those are worked on in the order of priority.

I didn't edit nor post for 9 days in an attempt to make sure my edit count for a week would be minimized hopefully to zero. The error message stating I couldn't edit more than 10 messages in 7 days shouldn't have reappeared. That message won't go away by itself. I have no idea whether any attempt to fix that problem has started at all. Has a programmer or system administrator attempted to fix it?......or is there an unread writeup sitting in someone's inbox or junk mail folder? Can we see the list of problems that are being worked on?
This has been reported and ticketed. It is not sitting in someone's junk mail folder. I hope to hear more about this soon.

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
25,993 Posts
@pharnkenstign

Really appreciate your waiting out the 7 day time frame and sorry it did not fix your personal edit limits issue.

If you havent read thru the community updates - the 10 posts in 7 days limit came up almost immediately when it was rolled out and is well documented there as an identified issue and is being addressed. (I will add that it has taken a long time to address - in my own opinion - and I to am frustrated that individual questions related to the limitations and reasons behind them go unanswered as well.)

I also see that the restrictions being imposed upon you individually by the system are far more than what is reported to be in place for the site and the new platform structure that is being reviewed.

For the time being though, we seem to be stuck in this site migration being the primary focus of attention - so I have started you a thread in the help section where you can list your posts that need editing or other updates.

It can also serve as a way to review your edit history in regard to the currently listed limits and how it can be fixed once the new edit protocols are finally rolled out.

Again thanks for your patience in dealing with this ongoing issue for you.

·
BANNED
7,825 Posts
I often reflect on the demands made by those who don't feel the desire to financially support a site they find valuable.
the first time I looked at HobbyTalk, when Hankster still owned and operated, I saw a value that was worth plunking down the fee for a "LIFE" (20 years) membership.

yes there are a lot of reasons for not paying, after all free is good too.
but I am a " put your money where your mouth is ....." kinda a guy.

·
Administrator
25,993 Posts
Not really seeing how if one decided to pay or not pay extra to have additional features and benefits not available to other regular members has to do with the site upgrade changes and providing community feedback on them.....

….or the productivity of noting it.

:(

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Contributing financially to an online community message board this day in age
is a tall order because there are so many other free options available.

When a member decides to obtain a paid subscription there are inherent expectations.
That however does not devalue the thoughts and questions from persons with a free membership.

I think the subject is relevant in moving forward here.

Is there an actual list of benefits that paid subscribers receive?

My decision to subscribe was mainly based upon the add free experience,
which add blockers can provide although sometimes it can also have adverse effects.

Eric

·
BANNED
7,825 Posts
Not really seeing how if one decided to pay or not pay extra to have additional features and benefits not available to other regular members has to do with the site upgrade changes and providing community feedback on them.....

….or the productivity of noting it.

:(
you appear to be assuming that the reason I decided to donate money to HobbyTalk was for perks.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Definition of "Perk"

"Become or make more cheerful, lively, or interesting."

I subscribe to that.

Eric

141 - 160 of 184 Posts