Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the last several months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform - Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my time off out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!

I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years but I have worked with forum communities for closer to two decades.I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How To Quote

When you see a post that you want to quote, click the reply button on that post. It will automatically add the quoted content to the content area where you can add your reply/comments following the code.

How To Multi-Quote

Step 1
: Click the multi-quote icon at the bottom of each post that you want to quote.

Step 2: Scroll down to the text editor where you are going to write your post. Click "Insert Quotes".

Step 3: A small window will pop up for you to verify (or delete) quoted content that will be added to your post. Click "Quote messages".

Final Step: The quoted content will automatically be added to the text editor.

Add your comments and click to post your reply.

Added Notes: You can multi-quote from more than one discussion thread in the forum. You can also simply highlight the part of the text you want to quote. A small popup will allow you to choose the multi-quote option using just the selected content.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
26,492 Posts
I saw a box that said + one quote but when I submitted the above I dont see the quoted message. I clicked on it this time and it inserted it. (y)
I am always amazed when I see collectors who have floor to ceiling collections of boxed unbuilt kits, The first thing think about is what happens if there was a fire, what would they save first. Like Vincent Price in House of Wax, "my children!!!!!".

Let's be honest, I am guilty as the next collector, in impulse buying, the dopamine surging at Chiller Theatre shows where in the 90's I would spend up to $500.00 dollars of resin kits, some were bad kits, but I had to have them, only to sit in closet for 30 years, some are being buildt now, so I rarely buy kits anymore, having fun building these, I have enough, not like those flood to the roof guys.

To our moderator, the new design looks great, I but I liked being called "Elder Statesman" which is no longer used, consider bringing it back, we earned that title, this my 15th year, also I hope if is now easier to post photos.

·
Administrator
26,492 Posts
Yes. Were yours shows administrator and mine shows Super Moderator. His was only showing as registered. I also managed to quote his message into the community feedback thread as well.

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. Were yours shows administrator and mine shows Super Moderator. His was only showing as registered. I also managed to quote his message into the community feedback thread as well.
Unfortunately, the default title is now your specific user group but we are looking at a possible solution for special recognitions like this.

In the meantime, a possible solution might be to add the title to his avatar or within his signature.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
26,492 Posts
Understand! But need to point out the next member who posted beneath alps' post in that thread - is showing as 'banned' . I remember a few members with upgraded memberships could change that title if they wanted and a few chose 'banned' as their preference . So perhaps alpink falls into that catagory with a custom avatar title privledge.

I will take a stab at changing alps back to "Elder Statesman" shortly.

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understand! But need to point out the next member who posted beneath alps' post in that thread - is showing as 'banned' . I remember a few members with upgraded memberships could change that title if they wanted and a few chose 'banned' as their preference . So perhaps alpink falls into that catagory with a custom avatar title privledge.

I will take a stab at changing alps back to "Elder Statesman" shortly.
Just send me the URL to the post and I can take care of that.

- Cricket

·
BANNED
7,901 Posts
custom avatar has been changed from BANNED to Premium Member. I don't see a way to change it back at this time?
also, "trending" threads are, in some cases, years old. I cannot, personally, consider THAT trending.
changes are trying for some old folks and getting used to new tech and features takes time.

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will polls be available again? I havent been able to find an option to insert one in a thread?
I am looking into a possible bug with polls looking like they are closed before they actually are.

How To Post A Poll

Navigate to the forum section where you would like to start a poll and then near the top right of it, click Start Discussion.

Start your posts as you normally would, including text and any images you might want to add.

Scroll down to “Post a poll” and click the arrow to the right of it to view poll options.

Now you can enter your poll question and begin to add possible responses. Once you add one poll response, another will open to add multiple choices.

Select how many of the possible responses members can choose and select any options you want to add including closing the poll after a certain number of days. Click to post your thread.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
custom avatar has been changed from BANNED to Premium Member. I don't see a way to change it back at this time?
also, "trending" threads are, in some cases, years old. I cannot, personally, consider THAT trending.
changes are trying for some old folks and getting used to new tech and features takes time.
The title under your username is designed for user groups. Your usergroup is not "banned".

The developers are working on making the homepage more relevant for us.

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
26,492 Posts
Older than "Elder Statesman" is "Registered"? Hmmmm...
As above phrankenstign has also commented about his new avatar title. I asked him to follow up here in this thread to let us know what his last title level was called. And explained to him the awards system is under review development. (y)

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my time off out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!
View attachment 305893
You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!

I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years but I have worked with forum communities for closer to two decades.I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket
Dark mode is the best feature, the white back ground was hard & tiring on the eyes. IF you select, the next time you sign in will it still be the default mode?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I keep getting this message:

"You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days "

Why does this limit exist?

Sometimes I write long posts that I edit after posting them. I may add stuff, delete stuff, make corrections, re-word, etc. Sometimes pictures are problematic, so I have to change them in some way or reorder their positions. Sometimes I look through old posts, and I find I've made a mistake such as a misspelling or a grammatical mistake. It bothers me when I notice them, so I'd prefer to correct them. Since I may do some or all of these things to any of my posts, it doesn't take long for me to reach that limit. Perhaps I'm one of the few who edits his posts quite a bit sometimes. Perhaps not. I don't see how having a limit of 10 is a good thing for anyone, and I'd like it removed or changed to 100 (or higher). Please do so!

Hmmmmm.......
It appears that message I've been getting comes up when I try to edit older posts. I don't know what the cutoff time period is, though. A couple of minutes ago, I tried to edit a post from last year, and I got the message above. Right afterwards, I tried to edit THIS post, and it didn't come up. That's how I was able to add this paragraph.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts