Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a week since we switched back to Standard Time, and the clock here on HobbyTalk is sometimes still on Daylight Saving Time, other times it's just going crazy, registering an hour early, forty minutes late — WTF is going on?? Or is this only happening on my computer?

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
You might have to go in to My Settings to adjust it. I've not given it a lot of thought 'til you mentioned it, tho.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
The clock on my computer is right, the time on postings is off ?? Is someone/something on the forum still on DST ?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Head east. When you hear a loud THUD, you've entered another time zone. Then all will be as it was. Many such journeys are possible. :freak:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the My Settings control panel, I went to "Edit Options" > "Date and Time Options" and changed the DST Correction Option to "DST Corrections Always Off." That seemed to do the trick.

All is as it was.

Let's get the hell out of here.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I personally think the DST is pretty dumb. They should have it in the winter, when there is less sunlight. In some places, the sun will usually go down at about 8:30 in the summer, and then as winter comes, about 6:30. Then we have to set them back so the sun goes down at 5:30. What MORON came up with that idea?!?!?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
It might be to do with the clocks going back in certain countries; this is an annual event in which the time is changed to help farmers, entailing a change of one hour forward in autumn, no wait, no, back in autumn, back, giving us an hour less in bed the next morning; no wait, an extra bonus hour in bed the next morning, and then the clocks go back, no that's not right; forward, in spring, giving us one hour less in bed the next morning. At least I think that's all correct.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so now this is the Daylight Saving Time thread. . .

Daylight Saving Time was first put into practice in Germany during World War I. It's supposedly an energy-saving measure, but it seems that on the whole, the drawbacks balance or outweigh the advantages (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time). Basically it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Interestingly, DST was first mentioned in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin in a letter to the editors of the Journal of Paris — as a joke!

·
Registered
306 Posts
But it doesn't save anything. The logical thing to do would be to do it in the winter, to save energy then, when it is needed most. Its name is a paradox, because in the winter, it doesn't save anything. It should be in the winter to balance things out.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, but who wants to get up and go to work when it's still pitch-dark outside? And the kiddies walking to school in the dark — THE CHILDREN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Those who work still have to get up in the dark. You still have to get up early, whether its dark or not. Who cares if its dark when you wake up, I think that's cool. Who wants to get home when its pitch black and its only 5:45?!?!?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts