Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Hmm, sounds lucrative. I'm in!

Seriously great on them if they did what was reported totally by coincidence. However, the rewards the other guy received were too much, and could encourage other "heroes" to stage things. I hope it doesn't happen, but we know humans, don't we?

He could have refused all the accolades if he was a true hero, in my opinion. Not selling short what he did, but it's all in a day's work to a doctor, fireman, EMS, police, and of course, our fine military.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CTWLSMIKE said:
Hmm, sounds lucrative. I'm in!

Seriously great on them if they did what was reported totally by coincidence. However, the rewards the other guy received were too much, and could encourage other "heroes" to stage things. I hope it doesn't happen, but we know humans, don't we?

He could have refused all the accolades if he was a true hero, in my opinion. Not selling short what he did, but it's all in a day's work to a doctor, fireman, EMS, police, and of course, our fine military.
Being a construction guy,single dad type dude with a family,I would't fault him for taking the money.
It's the dozen,or so, (somewhat animated)tv interviews ( ie:Letterman,Extra,Inside Edition,etc) that kinda takes away from the humbleness of being a "hero."(imo)

still,it was a pretty ballsy thing to do.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
RobDog said:
still,it was a pretty ballsy thing to do.
No doubt, but I would rather have someone do something on the spur of the moment, and not hesitating thinking about what negotiating they will do to get the rewards they "deserve".

Yes it's a once in a lifetime windfall for him, but others shouldn't expect the same if they are ever in the same situation, and shouldn't hesitate to help if they don't think it'll be "worth" it in terms of monetary compensation.

He received the most valuable gift of all, knowing he saved a man's life.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CTWLSMIKE said:
No doubt, but I would rather have someone do something on the spur of the moment, and not hesitating thinking about what negotiating they will do to get the rewards they "deserve".

Yes it's a once in a lifetime windfall for him, but others shouldn't expect the same if they are ever in the same situation, and shouldn't hesitate to help if they don't think it'll be "worth" it in terms of monetary compensation.

He received the most valuable gift of all, knowing he saved a man's life.[/QUOTE]

you said it all right there,Mike :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Those are great stories RobDog :thumbsup:. Being in NJ those two stories were all over the news. I saw the subway guy on Letterman last night and he seemed like a down-to-earth dude. The shot of his two daughters sitting in the greenroom with big ol smiles on there faces was priceless. :thumbsup: Thier father is now a real life superhero to them.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070105/ap_on_re_us/subway_rescue

TV Appearances, $10,000 from Donald Trump (which is probably like 10 cents from the rest of us), trip to Disney, and a $2,500 scholarship. Geez a Denny's gift card would have been sufficient.

So you wouldn't leave behind a TH but you'd turn down all this cake ? Really?
I agree completly with the TV Interviews, I'm not too humble to admit I could use $$$. take my daughter to Disney Land sure. The point is he did what he did in split second thoughts, they both could have died.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
The point is he did what he did in split second thoughts, they both could have died.
Yeah! I dont think he had time to count $$$$ in his head before he did what he did. He is a Viet Nam Vet who just reacted to a situation. Like a soldier who jumps on a handgrenade.

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Hmmp,and people think I'm overprotective of my kids..
with things like this happening,no wonder why I always am the way I am,lol

Parents should have been more careful,taking more preventative measures to ensure this wouldn't happen.
I bet my @ss that DYFS will be investigating this one.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
In response to the idea that the baby being caught may have been staged, I would imagine that since it only happened two days after the subway incident, it was not announced that the subway guy had received all of these awards. Just my take on it. As for all the TV interviews and rewards, we all get our 15 minutes of fame. It will be a story in his family for generations and it will be a point in his life he remembers for a long time (it might be the high point of his life). I know it may not be the most humble thing, but I think he earned the right to be that way if he wishes. I don't know if I could or would do the same, especially with two kids.

1up

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
So you wouldn't leave behind a TH but you'd turn down all this cake ? Really?
I agree completly with the TV Interviews, I'm not too humble to admit I could use $$$. take my daughter to Disney Land sure. The point is he did what he did in split second thoughts, they both could have died.
I don't quite get the comparison about leaving stuff behind. I don't leave stuff behind not so I can benefit financially from it, but so I can share the wealth.

Sure I'd appreciate the reward idea, but I'd probably donate the money. Too much emphasis on monetary things in my book.

I know he didn't hesitate, and I'm glad he didn't. I was expressing concern that others in the same situation might.

And 1up I don't think the kid falling was staged, either, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear anyone try it. (remember the finger found in the chili at wendys??)

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My curiosity is fueled farther by the shifting, non-contacting eyes, of the heroes and mother, shown on tonights news.

but I've been wrong before.....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
And 1up I don't think the kid falling was staged, either, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear anyone try it. (remember the finger found in the chili at wendys??)
That is true. No matter what you do, there will always be someone else trying to do the same thing by another means. I earned my Eagle Scout when I was in the Boy Scouts, and boy did I earn it! However, not every kid that I watched get Eagle Scout did so on their own or held up to the same standards. I have seen many a father earn the award for their son when it was supposed to be an individual thing. My dad was an Eagle Scout when he was a boy as well and he would not push me to work on my goals and he certainly wouldn't do them for me. The point being that there are always a certain percentage of people who want to eat the cake, but didn't help bake it. I certainly hope that isn't the case in any of the recent heroics although that possiblity can never be fully discounted.

1up

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For 07,I've downgraded from complete negativity, to brainless and paranoid cynicysm...oh well, it's a start.:freak:

(a start to what ? God only knows)

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
RobDog said:
For 07,I've downgraded from complete negativity, to brainless and paranoid cynicysm...oh well, it's a start.:freak:

(a start to what ? God only knows)
You go Rob! We're here for you no matter where you end up. Well almost anywhere. :wave:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts