Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience trying to "unwarp" Tomy track? I have to admit I'm disappointed in the quality of this track. Its good enough to fool around on, but once you get serious about making sure all the track joints are flush, then it becomes quite glaring that this stuff is not straight. One of my terminal tracks is the worst. I tried to steam it amd clamp it straight but its still bent. And this is NEW track, not some fleabay find. (I have no way of knowing how long it sat in the warehouse.)

Can anyone offer any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I would decide where I want it and use rtv silicone. You will have to weigh it down until it cures. I would not nail or screw it down. Could cause a depression to form around the head.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the problem is not so much the track bending up and down. Its bent side to side. I can't make a straight straightaway with some of this stuff. My straights are actually zigzags.

I tried to use steam and a c clamp to straighten out a teminal track, but all I did was squish the slot in a bit. My G pluses and Tycos will go through, but my Tjets get bound up in the slot. I should be able to undo that though.

I'll tell you though, its making a helluva case for going with Lifelike or Mattel.

Trev

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have a couple of extra TOMY terminal tracks that you can have if that's all you need.

Some of the more recent TOMY track (past 2 years) has suffered from quality control problems. You could try contacting RaceMasters for replacements. I also have some Mattel track and it's really no better than the TOMY and even seems a bit thinner. The Lifelike track has rails that are too high, hard wired controllers, and very limited corner selection. For all we know all three companies are using the same poor quality offshore manufacturing facility. There's probably a reason why more and more folks are moving to the large format sectional tracks like MaxTrax, WizTrackz, and HO World (Bowman). If you're starting from scratch and don't mind paying a bit more for quality these tracks aren't bad.

http://home.eznet.net/~maxtrax/
http://www.wizzardho.com/WizTrackz.htm
http://www.howorld.net/archives/promotion/howinternational_track/how.html

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AfxToo said:
I have a couple of extra TOMY terminal tracks that you can have if that's all you need.
<snip>
You could try contacting RaceMasters for replacements.
Well, if you don't mind parting with them, I'll take em. But do you know how to contact Racemasters? I've looked for a website and can't find one. As far as the more expensive custom tracks, well, they're awful sweet, but I'm just starting out and can't justify spending that kinda bread just yet. (the shipping and exchange alone will kill ya)

There's always the future though.

I think you've got my email AFXtoo, email me and tell me what you need to send them over here. I'll pay you for them.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I can't find your email, but if you have mine send me a message. Otherwise I'll meet you on the Weds night chat and get your email then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts