Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of warped resin bodies that I got from a large lot and I have been doing alot of experiments but I dont know if anyone found a way but i did. it has been a success (5 out of 7 bodies so far - i guess its all depends on how bad it is on the body).

Here is what I do. I put a resin body in microwave (it must have those rotating plate on it) I did try one without it and it kind of melted..LOL. put one on rotating plate for like 35 to 45 seconds and i carefully take the body out while its very soft and warm (gently pick up the body not grab it) - (whatever the body fit on chassis use that chassis) before i put on chassis i would bend/move/ use small wood stick on it (carefully) til i get it perfect then put it on chassis and make sure its still looks good then let it cool. it becomes hard again - viola the body is perfect straight. 5 out of 7 so far..

Hope this is helpful to you guys?

Wes

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh ok.. i wonder which is better??? i ll try water and see.

Thanks!!
Wes

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You could try what I call the hair dryer trick. Heat it up with the hair dryer, tweak it how you want it and run it under cold water to re-set the plastic. Works wonders on all those AFX matadors that wont hold a chassis.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The grungerockjeepe method has also worked for me for some "slightly loose on the chassis" bodies.

Micyou method didn't here (probably that my water is not that hot :) )

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Thanks Wes!

We have one of those flash heater hot water tanks under the sink. Like Mike, I start my bods in the hot water and see what happens.

Grunge's hairdryer trick works great too. I actually use a heat gun. I like it for spot repairs when I don't want to soften the entire bod.

When all else fails on injection molded bods I toast them just like a marshmallow by attaching a modified coat hanger to the screw post, and then twirling them off to the side of a wobbly low pressure propane flame.

The old Aurora styrene will sweat or shimmer just before it lites up. This is also the point when it's workable. Some times I get the edges a little golden brown but if you blowem right out when they catch fire things usually work out OK with a little wet sanding and a buff providing you haven't bubbled the plastic.

Here's a pic of a Vibe roadster that the previous owner had melted the cowl on to fit a T-jet chassis. It was a little crispy to start with but came out OK after the marshmallow trick.

Wes's micro wave trick sounds great. I will definitely add it to my bag of tricks as his high success ratio sounds appealing.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I had a loose Bauer GT40. I put it on top of a space heater radiator on low, went to check it like 15 minutes later and it was all shriveled up. The chassis looked nice under a Tyco Vette.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
micyou03 said:
I had a loose Bauer GT40. I put it on top of a space heater radiator on low, went to check it like 15 minutes later and it was all shriveled up. The chassis looked nice under a Tyco Vette.
In other words dont use that method unless you want an excuse to take a chassis from an expensive body and use it on a common one. Check.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
micyou03 said:

MIC,
That was my trick. I perfected it back in the late 60s. Amazingly, I only needed one body before I had it down pat. :freak: rr

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Shrinking Violet

roadrner said:
MIC,
That was my trick. I perfected it back in the late 60s. Amazingly, I only needed one body before I had it down pat. :freak: rr
Yarrrr! LMAO Dave.

I feel sorry for Mike on that Bauer GT 40. :cry:

I reckon it's a fitting burial (funeral pyre on the heat vent) for a car whose decals blow off at speed, screen printed tires smudge when you look at them sideways; and now according to Mike the body was loose.

Guess we can add an epitaph: "Keep out of kitchen, they cant take the heat!" :rolleyes:

Dont touch! Do not allow to touch track. Do not wash, polish or dust! Maintain hermetically sealed case at all costs! Store in a cool dark place!

What exactly was the point? :confused:

BH

Truly a shame

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Man, those Bauer bodies are brittle. I had one that snapped into 4 pieces when I tried to take the tony chassis off... I wound up paying 45 bucks for a 10 dollar chassis when it was said and done.

I love their t-jets though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts