Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Johnny Lightning 1999 Hong Kong toy fair 1/64

Hello,

Does anyone in here know anything about this set of cars? I have 11 of them, all 1 of 500 and all serial numbered..Any help is appreciated.

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
hey I have a few of those Lightning Fest 83 Olds I'd gladly sell. Got the different variations too I think. One might be signed by the designers as well. Message me but don't expect a quick answer cause I don't login here often anymore.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

Does anyone in here know anything about this set of cars? I have 11 of them, all 1 of 500 and all serial numbered..Any help is appreciated.
What did you want to know?

Some trivia.

Lowest number of Pink Slip Racers made. VW Bus with surf boards.

Hardest casting to get approval for. Batmobile Dinner Car.

There were no White Lightning Variations for Fest cars under PM. IF they were WL's they were all made that way during the PM ownership. Numbers and variations under RC2 is another whole 'nuther ballgame.

Most Lightningfest castings were first run castings. The factory schedule was known in advance and castings were chosen based on what could be manufactured and shipped on time for the show.

Most castings were picked by Bobby and myself and we worked with various staff during the years for the final colors, tires, etc.

Pink Slip Racers were supposed to be Racer's edge wheels so that you had to actually beat the car to win it. Racer's edge did not work on all castings so they had to be at least hard wheels. No rubber wheels for PSR were planned.

After the Cadillac fiasco. Mike Groothuis was the only designer I gave free rein on tampo design. His work was so good, one of the other Fest sponsors called him "Magic Mike". The movie came later.

The only way the Batmobile was agreed on as a Fest variation was in kit form by the licensing powers. Since they were all sealed in a windowless box, there was no way to know what number you had without opening the box.

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
There were no White Lightning Variations for Fest cars under PM. IF they were WL's they were all made that way during the PM ownership. Numbers and variations under RC2 is another whole 'nuther ballgame.
Yes I agree you would know if there are variations of the WL Fest cars. I just vaguely recall some type of perhaps incidental variation in the 83 Hurst Olds fest car. I could be wrong. I would have to dig mine out.

My son even though he is 24 now still has the fest dinner batmobile which he built from that kit, as well as the homemade bat jet thing. Once in to Marvel, always into Marvel I suppose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What confused people was the fact that one side of the tires said LightningFest and the other side said White Lightning. Depending on the side the picture was taken people assumed they had a variation. If you left yours carded you never discovered that factoid.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts