Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there enough serious Legends Drivers to make it worth while to include this class in my planning for an upcoming carpet oval race? Thanks; Ernie P. :cool:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
This is a super carpet track in Gordonsville, VA (about 30 min east of Charlottesville). It would make a great place for the Legends to race at.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ernie P, if you are anywhere near South Carolina, come on down anytime. Or better yet, come on down Nov. 6th for the Reg. 3 Oval race. And yes, we are racing the famed Legends. We race every at sat nite.
Hope to see ya here....
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jimmy; I appreciate your invitation, and I will take you up on it, one day. Right now, I'm getting an RC Track ready to host the 2004 Virginia Oval Championships. And, we're going to run Legends as part of the program! We're located near Gordonsville, VA; so why don't you and your friends come join us? Thanks; Ernie P.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Legends at Thunder Road

I plan to run legends as part of our regular race series. Right now, we have a big race (defined as significant money on the line) planned to introduce the refurbished track, in late November. After that, we will run a regular ARCOR schedule; which will, I hope, include Legends.

I don't know exactly how far you are; but I used to run down to Brunswick, Georgia every weekend to visit a girlfriend; so I know it ain't THAT far. After all, this is racin' we're talking about!

Our website is "www.thunderroadrc.com". Check it out! Thanks; Ernie P. :cool:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Jimmy, It is 477 miles from your track to ours. 95 north to Richmond, 64 west to Gordonsville/Palmyra exit and US 15 north into Gordonsville. Come on up and race. Right now our track has a 120' runline. What is the size of your track? Our web site is http:www.thunderroadrc.com The track is a little different than the pictures on our home page. The turns now have the "white ice" at the bottom instead of the pipes.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
L I'LL B....Seven CAN type!!! LOL Good to see you on here Steve. Looks like Ernie has a lot of great plans to keep Thunder Road on the racers "map". Hope to see you guys up there once our season is over.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice track, my tripmaker sez it is almost 8 hours to get there. and you are right seven, it is 477 miles. you must have the same program. And I do want to come up there for a race or two. Your track looks alot like ours, what are the lap times you guys are running for stock. the good stock guys here are running 4.0's a few 1's and the rare 3.9. I think our track also has a 120 foot run line. The Legends class is probably the funest class I have ever ran, including off road.
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hey Lin, what's up? When does your season at Cooper's end? As you can see, I like to read more than I write. Still trying to learn something. We will be waiting for you this winter. I think our on-road track has a little different lay-out from the last time you were there. That is if you still remember how to turn right!

Jimmy, a good stock runs 3.7-3.8 laps. A certain few run a little faster. I think the record for stock here is 65 laps by Talbot. I have only been running for about a year, so I could be wrong on that (it might be a lap more). I don't own a Legends car. I run 4-cell Spec and some Stock. Maybe if I can find somebody to ride along with me (maybe you Lin?), and I will come down for the Nov. 6th race. I havn't made a road trip yet and I think it would be fun.

Ernie, I will see you and everyone Saturday. Are we going to start any of the projects this weekend or are we waiting until October?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Seven, you may be right about that right turn stuff LOL

Our last race at Cooper's will be the Invitational on the 25th and 26th of this month, then it will be back on the "rug". Maybe then I can do some racing LOL, I have only had a chance to race twice at our track this year LOL. Poor Larry was not able to race at all !

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Schedule for October & November at Thunder Road

Okay, Guys; I take over on October 1st; so let's get started with rehabing Thunder Road on the 2nd and 3rd. I've marked those days for cleanout and cleanup.

We'll do the lights, power and such as we can; and get the painting done on the 23rd and 24th.

We'll get things put back in order on November 6th and 7th. That schedule leaves plenty of room for slippages and work stoppages, etc.

On Sunday, November the 21st, there will be a "special" race, only for those who help out during the rehab; just as a way to say "THANK YOU"!

The first big race under the new (boy, and howdy) management will be the 2004 Virginia Oval Champioships; and will be held November the 27th. This will be a "big bucks" race; complete with trophies and prizes.
Classes will be Mini-T Stock; Mini-T Modified (both run under local rules); and (under strict ARCOR Rules) the following 1:10 scale classes: Legends; Spec; Stock; and 19-Turn Open.

Questions should be addressed to "[email protected]"; or this Forum. More later. Thanks to all; Ernie P. :cool:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Seven, I have ran some stock, but I do not have the batts them guys they have to run those 3.9 to 4.1's. Last year I ran 6 cell spec, locked gear, loved it. We are just starting a 4 cell locked spec here, for the new and younger people. I dont think they will let me run that, dang it. I just got my step son a Trinity Street spec car for him to eventauly race with. That car runs good for bone stock 4 cell spec. They have that at a locked gear also, triing to get them a little slower speed, so they dont beet the pipes down. There running right at 5.0's plus or minus a tenth or so. There is a family that comes up here every other weekend to race, and I race with them, novice of cource. We have a blast.
YES, you need to get someone to come down with you, we are having a novice class as well as a 6 and 4 cell spec, locked gear. Check the websight for the flyer for more details. I think that the novice sez it is limited to 3000 batts and less, I think that is a typo. Hope to see ya....
Jimmy Jam

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Racin' at Thunder Road

Jimmy; the nice thing about 4-cell racing is you don't need any super trick stuff. Most of the fast guys at TR are using equipment that is... how shall we say... less than optimal? On a short, flat oval, handling and getting the power down is the biggest priority. Come on up some time; you'll like it. Thanks; Ernie P. :cool:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can relate to the less than optimal thing, that is me. I call myself low bucks racing. Dpnt get me wrong, I fully support my hobbie shop, but I can only by stuff that is cheap, or used. Sounds like I would have a blast up there as I do here with the peeps that I run with in novice. I do plan on going up there one of these days, gonna have to talk to a few peeps about going with me.
Race hard, and have fun
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2004 Virginia Oval Championships Race Date Change

Sorry about the change, Guys; but I've agreed to change the date of the big race at Thunder Road; to avoid going "back-to-back" with another race.

The "2004 Virginia Oval Championships" will be held on December 4th; at Thunder Road RC Speedway, in Gordonsville, VA.

Classes will be 19-Turn Open; Stock; Spec; Legends; Mini-T Stock; and Mini-T Modified. We will be running *strict* ARCOR rules for all classes except Mini-T's. We'll run local rules for the Mini-T's.

Be aware ARCOR rules require SPEC tires for both SPEC Class and Legends. And watch the minimum roof height for all classes.

Our Mini-T classes are Stock and Modified. Stock means *STOCK*; as in the way the danged thing came out of the box!!! And yes, that means you run the stock body, transmitter and 4 AA batteries, too.) Modified means that you basically "run what ya brung"; 6 cell battery max. No stiff "rollover" antennas in any class.

I'm putting up over $600.00 in GUARANTEED prize money; or 1/2 of race entry fees, whichever is GREATER; plus trophies and plaques; and door prizes.

Race entry fee is $30.00 for the first class; $5.00 less for each successive class. IOW, $30.00; $25.00; $20.00; etc.

The first 35 entries are guaranteed a pit spot. Sign up ahead of time, or arrive early. After that, you may wind up working out of your car.

I have also scheduled our first ARCOR race, the "Snowbirds Warmup", for Saturday, January 15, 2005. The "friends" race for those who help out in the re-hab is still on.

For details, contact me on this forum or at [email protected]. More later; Ernie P. :cool:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Seven we can hook up and ride down that way. A good stock run should start off with 3.3's or 3.4 and end with 3.8. Jimmy if you want to come up this way and run stock I will be happy to loan you some of my batterys.

·
Registered
373 Posts
BigClay, I will take you up on that if I dont have any before then....as I do plan on coming up for that. What do you think will be a bigger class? Stock, or spec stock? And I do want to run Legands, I love this class......
Jimmy

1 - 20 of 46 Posts