Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 within 20 miles of me....three super centers and one becoming a super center. Pricing??? Not the same at each. One,which competes with TOYSRUs,Target,BestBuy,CircuitCity,Sears,Kmart,etc...lowest prices. Oh,food prices are cheaper there too. I went into another whose prices were higher?!?! Asked why and if they'd match other WMs..Flatly told NO!!! They don't have to because of no competion.closed two grocery stores nearby so their prices on groceries noticebly higher. Service? POOR!! But,they are conveniently on my way home from work. MY POINT......when the competion goes...so do the prices
UP up UP UP UP UP up UP ...you get the idea BE(a)WARE!!!!!!!!!! GARY

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
if anyone thinks that walmart is here just to help out with cheap food and goods, they are in for a surprise. i try to buy from anywhere but wm as often as possible. unfortunatly i hate crowds when shopping and wm is the only one open all night. we do have a kroger food store here that keeps wm in check with prices on food.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have a grocery store you like because of service, cleanliness, good fresh foods (vegetables, meat, fish, etc.) then I recommend giving it your business before Walmart drives it under just like they did to KB Toys (and are doing to TRU). Walmart sends people out to scan the prices at other stores so that they can lower the prices a few pennies lower than the store down the street, even if it means a loss because they can absorb it. Once that competition is gone, the price will go right back up because then you won't have a choice.

I noticed that since Sam died, most of the "Made in America" push has died as well. I think they still mention it for a few items but I think that if Walmart can get a cheaper item from China, they no longer really care about American workers.

Also, while they have some nice return policies that they honor without question, their customer service really is pretty poor. Walmart tries to get by with the fewest cashiers....."who cares that you have to wait in line ten minutes at the register, we saved you three cents on that Johnny Lightning". I would rather pay $0.03 more at Target and wait only a minute if at all.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
welcome to the east coast

i agree with all of you's, but that been going on here for year's now, the home depot is the real leader in that concept, they been knockin mom and pops out for years, right along with the smaller lumber yards.

take a good look around your town , cvs, walgreens,ekerds, and so...........on
you'll see that most of those GREAT little stores are GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I dont suport WM but several months ago Pep Boys had a coupon for a 2 pack of Sylania Silverstar headlight bulbs, 17.99 plus a $5 rebate, it was a missprint, singles were 17.99 plus the rebate, Pep Boys wouldnt honor the deal, they put up a sign saying we messed up, too bad and took the bulbs off the shelf. I took the coupon to Walmart and they honored it no questions ask.
As far as diecast go they rarely have anything here so I dont buy much.
As far as food Kroger usually has them beat on price so I shop there.
also they moved a small WM into a Supercenter here 7 months ago, they have a large area for diecast .... but they have never stocked it, there is a JL or Jada section with 10 pegs and 1 car hanging there, wasted retail space is stupid, theyll get rid of diecast next because they dont sell.

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
lets see,,,,figure it out guys,,,,they will comply with screw ups from other stores,,,,and they are in it just for the money,,,,,,,,,you do the math,,,,,you do your math and take advantage of them whenever you can,,,,they are gonna do it to you in the end,,,,,,,i figured them out a long time ago, is it your turn or are you st*#id??

·
Registered
107 Posts
32lowboy said:
As far as food Kroger usually has them beat on price so I shop there.
That's right! People shouldn't assume Walmart's prices are really better than the supermarket. Walmart is tricky with their pricing and they won't have to do that price matching thing when the competition is gone. Like dammitman says in his post.....they will get you in the end! You think they are raking it in now....wait until they bring the competition completely to their knees.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Thought I had somethin' to say here earlier ..... hmmm, musta mistook myself for someone else :lol: Prolly a good decision, Bobby :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Around these parts WMs don't have large grocery sections like in other areas. They stock a few aisles as a matter of convenience, but we have some supersized grocery stores here and WMs stores are too small as they all went into existing smaller locations of other victims, Bradlees and Caldors.

The groceries that they do stock are more for convenience rather than better prices, so needless to say those aisles are usually pretty empty. Recently a large new Target opened up and the store was built to their specs, and it's beautiful. I haven't noticed any groceries there, but an amazing dynamic, both WM and Target close at 10pm. At 10pm WM looks like it's Christmas Eve in the middle of the day, and Target looks like it closed at 8pm!

I think perception has people shopping at WM and most aren't smart enough to realize that they are being had, or the brainwashing is too deep to recover from.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Lets beat up WalMart again...

I love WalMart.
Cheapest prices on the things that I need most (though JL cars are scarce to be found at WalMarts here in CA, and what is found is years old).
Aside from that...
Good service.
Been around for years like the competition here too.
My loyalty is driven soley by my wallet and to nobody or nothing else ("the local little guy's store" sympathy or what not).
In the town of Aberdeen Washington (was there last week), WalMart has been the town's godsend (a VERY badly needed Home Depot will open in Aberdeen Sept 9th - ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 CHEERS!!!!!!).
Best WalMart I have ever been in and they have everything (and I do mean everything!).
Well stocked at all times and clean as you can get.
No other competition for 56 miles and yet the prices are rock bottom cheap.
Its been their alone since KMart closed its doors. That was 12 years ago...
Prices are still cheap as ever.
This monoply arguement (whining) doesn't wash with me. I haven't seen proof.
When somebody else comes along cheaper than WalMart, so will I go.
Mom and Pop stores either either cut their prices (join a consortium with buying power like IGA or True Value) or think of other ways to compete (like invidual and specialized service that you won't find at a WalMart).

Other than that, watch the cobwebs grow (and blame somebody else because its less painful that admitting your own failure)...

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
This cheapskate's advice...

Another thing to think about to you folks who like to beat this horse to death (the big bad corporate bad guy syndrome): WalMart raising their prices (like you claim) will (always) only create venues for other stores and capital ventures to move in on.
This is a given.
Cheaper stores will come sure as the day is long if things are really as crappy as you folks claim.
Maybe you folks just need to go look for them.
In a free capitalist society there will aways be the other guy who is cheaper who would love to get your business.

Everybody wins.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Some valid points but..

It will take stores mostly smaller than WM to keep them in check. Case in point Dollar Generals. They are growing and adding a variety of foods. Everything is getting fast paced. Larger grocery chains are being culled out due to this.
The D G stores should keep them in check.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
johnsreflex said:
It will take stores mostly smaller than WM to keep them in check. Case in point Dollar Generals. They are growing and adding a variety of foods. Everything is getting fast paced. Larger grocery chains are being culled out due to this.
The D G stores should keep them in check.

Great point John.

Other than JL cars (which I think is the main gripe here is that these folks are probably not finding what they would like to in regard to diecast at WalMart - hey folks come to California where the variety of diecast really sucks sewage) that you probably would not find in these smaller outlets, what you can find are bargains on many other items.

.99c ONLY STORES, Dollar Tree and many others like this also proof that there are other stores to score lower prices ON NAME BRANDS. No, not the selection overall of what a WalMart can carry, but a good alternative on those items that they do.

And cheaper.

I can buy name brand toothpaste, shampoo, potato chips, stereo headphones, micro screwdriver sets, flashlights, soda and cookies all for way under what WalMart charges.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Wal-Mart's order size helped keep PM floating. A statement I have heard from many ex-PM people. If you like JL die-cast and you thought CVS, Walgreens and your local Joe's Supermarket was keeping PM in business, think again. Even mega-sized Target pales in comparison to Wal-Marts orders.

My wife picked up her mother's birthday present last night at Wal-Mart 1/2 off, picked up groceries and two quarts of 10W30 oil for me at .79 cents each. The local gas station charges 2.05. I LOVE WAL-MART! But, as I'm often reminded by many here, I'm stupid.

Mark:)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Wal-Mart is adding a new line of wines as well

Some Walmart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item: Walmart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with E&J Gallo Winery of Modesto,California, to produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $2-5 range.

While wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Walmart brand wine into their shopping carts, there is a market for cheap wine, said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I. She said: "The right name is important."

So, here we go: The top 12 suggested names for Walmart Wine:

12. Chateau Traileur Parc
11. White Trashfindel
10. Big Red Gulp
9. Grape Expectations
8. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"
7. NASCARbernet
6. Chef Boyardeaux
5. Peanut Noir
4. Chateau des Moines
3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
2. World Championship Riesling

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine ...

1. Nasti Spumante

Joe
www.joesdiecastshack.com

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
Around these parts WMs don't have large grocery sections like in other areas. They stock a few aisles as a matter of convenience, but we have some supersized grocery stores here and WMs stores are too small as they all went into existing smaller locations of other victims, Bradlees and Caldors.

The groceries that they do stock are more for convenience rather than better prices, so needless to say those aisles are usually pretty empty. Recently a large new Target opened up and the store was built to their specs, and it's beautiful. I haven't noticed any groceries there, but an amazing dynamic, both WM and Target close at 10pm. At 10pm WM looks like it's Christmas Eve in the middle of the day, and Target looks like it closed at 8pm!

I think perception has people shopping at WM and most aren't smart enough to realize that they are being had, or the brainwashing is too deep to recover from.
A Huge Walmart with the full blown grocery section just opened in Wallingford on Wednesday. I went there to try and find something new like some of the American Glory Zingers and still the same old stuff. I probably won't see Zingers until next year.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
micyou03 said:
A Huge Walmart with the full blown grocery section just opened in Wallingford on Wednesday. I went there to try and find something new like some of the American Glory Zingers and still the same old stuff. I probably won't see Zingers until next year.
I'm sure where WM can get the retail space they will build the big ones, but the locations they moved into could not accomodate everything, so they had to make do.

You want to see a bad selection, go to Danbury. They have 21 pegs for HWs and 9 of them have 6 different cars! There's three pegs of FE Tire Fryers alone. And there's an overstock box filled with remnants from the old BOD with about another 200 duds. It'll be years before they see some new HWs.

As for JLs, they have 12 pegs, and maybe 12 cars at any one given time, mostly returns from other stores. When they get a new case in, it goes quickly, and the same sorry leftovers remain.

Good Luck on the hunt.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I have to admit. I used to love WalMart and Meijer and just about any other one-stop-shop. But lately (in my old age :rolleyes: ), I've really gotten sick of it. I have to park 75 yards out and walk 100 yards to the back of the store just pick up some milk and THEN walk another 80 yards to pick up a couple pairs of garden pruners. After bieng in a major crippling accident, walking that far really wears me down. On top of that, they ALWAYS end up in the most populated areas which is a pain in the a$$ as well. 45 checkout lanes with 6 open...need I say more?? I'll shop at small, hometown stores anyday. The small price increase at the little stores is worth the headache of driving all the way to Mishawaka and paying a dime less.

Love live mom and pop.

On another note, Good luck to Carter Lumber in Niles. Lowes is opening right across the street. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts